DISCUSSION - ("Cold") disk imaging

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, Feb 25, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Search for Brian K's post on disk image speed and compression. Macrium by far is the worst among all the main imagers. I don't know how you managed to get 110GB of Acronis vs 38 GB of Macrium, but I agree with Atari - I have never installed Acronis in my system, I only use it's boot USB for cold disk imaging. Same for Macrium. Acronis/Terabyte IFW/IFL are ~2 times faster than Macrium on all my computers when I do cold disk imaging.

2. xman charl

xman charl MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2014
    used acronis for many years

stopped using acronis several years ago, seemed it would not play fair with raid backups

tried macrium, it did work on my raid stuff

still keep getting emails from acronis, as I registered years back

good to know, the new acronis has a bunch more bloatware

my 2 cents

Charl

3. rdata

rdata MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
    #303 rdata, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2017
  4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #304 Flipp3r, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Cool. Shame it's 32bit. 64bit would be both UEFI & Legacy bootable.

In my 64bit startnet.cmd I have the following which shows PE version & mode:
    Code:
    FOR /F "usebackq tokens=2,* skip=2" %%L IN (`reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinPE" /v Version`) DO SET WinPE_Ver=%%M

wpeutil disablefirewall
    wpeutil UpdateBootInfo
    for /f "tokens=2* delims=     " %%A in ('reg query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control /v PEFirmwareType') DO SET Firmware=%%B
    :: Note: delims is a TAB followed by a space.
    if %Firmware%==0x1 (
      Title WinPE %WinPE_Ver% 64bit BIOS Mode
      echo BIOS >X:\BIOS
    )
    if %Firmware%==0x2 (
      Title WinPE %WinPE_Ver% 64bit UEFI Mode
      echo UEFI >X:\UEFI
    )

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
  6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    There's been a number of people that use Drive Snapshot but the last time I tried it I couldn't work out how to make a complete disk image.
    Can it disk image or is it just partition image? ie, "Drive letter Snapshot"???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. vigipirate

vigipirate MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Hello
    To create a complete image of drivesnapshot it is necessary to select all the partitions uefi or mbr then during the backup path note simply to rate $ disk is saved all the scores just attention it is necessary not to modify the partions or it will fail at a blow on? More if the hard drive is dead it will be impossible to restore the image simply to recover its data me I no longer use backup system software of my experience there are always misfires what I do seqs little long and incorrect but works All the strokes I reinstall windows to own drivers update software ect .... then I start in winPE uses dism ++++ saves OS I capture in install.wim I keep this install is the day I have a virus or other I reinstall windows is Reinjecte my install via dism +++ is no problem then voila exit the backup software the one I tested is working suddenly on its acronis backup for pc

8. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    rdata, nice project!
    For us non-techie who couldn't write script, do you mind share your script "source code"? Granted, we have access to these disk imaging programs...

9. vigipirate

Feb 24, 2011
    #310 vigipirate, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    WinPE 10 v10.0.16225 32Bit Backup AND Restore All in

10. vigipirate

Feb 24, 2011
    #311 vigipirate, Jul 9, 2017
    WinPE 10 v10.0.16225 32Bit Backup AND Restore All in thank

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #312 Mr.X, Jul 9, 2017
    Hello!!! knock knock in your head:

As per forum rules:
    You are a long-time member (since 2011) and ignore those rules ever since?

Hint: Private messaging was invented for a reason, don't you think so?

12. vigipirate

Feb 24, 2011
    Hello please excuse I do not ask for any hacking! Its that its project was well as you say private message but you always change the site one is lost I do not even know more or go to send a private message

13. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #314 John Sutherland, Jul 10, 2017
    I've been using Macrium Reflect for several years now, and it works just fine for me. It's never failed to create a good backup image, never failed to restore a backup image, and most important for me, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to configure it to make it work on your system. I couldn't ask for anything more.

14. sedmi

sedmi MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2009
    Hello rdata

I find your disk imaging WinPE bootable.iso very useful imaging solution

I have done something like you as well for my personal use, not such elegant solution, but serves the purpose (it is 32 bit version)
    only problem is that I use Acronis 2014, since all later versions when creating winpe bootable iso-s produce 64 bit iso

Can you please share your procedure/steps of how you have managed to integrate
    Acronis 2017 in 32 bit wim?

Thanks in advance

Regards, sedmi

15. rdata

rdata MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
    MVP Tool - CUSTOM ATI WINPE BUILDER

Anyone with a Windows 7 or newer Windows OS, that has a current version of Acronis 2016 or newer, may use this tool to build CUSTOM 32-bit or 64-bit Acronis Bootable Rescue Media. This will be especially useful for those of you that have 32-bit only UEFI systems or the OEM manufacturer has set the SATA mode to RAID in the BIOS and it cannot be changed. As of version 5.7, this tool supports automatic driver injection in both the 32-bit and 64-bit media creation process.

You can use the above tool in order to create 32-bit bootable Acronis. You could just use the basic version in order to reduce the bloat the Advanced version tries to add into the .wim

16. sedmi

sedmi MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2009
    #317 sedmi, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Hello rdata,
    Thank you very much for your kind reply
    I will try this tool, the basic version since I want to make the resulting bootable iso as small as possible
    regards, sedmi
    Update:
    I have sucessfully created 32-bit bootable Acronis 2017 using this tool; thanks again !

17. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite v3.09 is out...

18. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014