DISCUSSION - ("Cold") disk imaging

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, Feb 25, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edmiri

edmiri MDL Junior Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Anyone can provide the bootable iso of acronis backup 12.5. The only iso i can get is the one without backup option but only restore. I need this acronis bussines eddition because home edition cant change sid during restore

2. rdata

rdata MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
  3. 2zyz2x

2zyz2x MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2015
    Upgrade for Image for Windows:
    Version 3.10 - August 19, 2017
    Does anybody have a link?

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    That's indeed good news. Didn't give up hope for a 1703 capable version :clap:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Both "free" urls, download x86 :)

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It still downloads x86 on both "free" urls.

8. peter_58_ha

peter_58_ha Red Pete

Sep 30, 2009
    im using Macrium reflect 7.1 free for desktops and laptops.
    Same for MS-Server, but her eim using a licenced version of Reflect with "Image guard" to make sure, that no cyropto-virus can access the image/backup

9. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Is there any backup software that's light and hopefully doesn't come with additional services and drivers/devices? Had some pretty bad experiences with Acronis and Easeus. Acronis for example used to have a Secure Zone, they might still do, well at that point that got corrupted and took all backups with it, Acronis support was clueless on how to recover, so I ended up doing what anyone would, took my important files from the cloud and ditched Acronis/reinstalled the OS. Easeus I highly suspect of messing up the Advanced System Settings>System Protection (i.e. System Restore). After I started using it that page wouldn't load anymore (didn't see any partitions) and gave an error. Was not able to fix it. I also suspect Easeus of messing up chkdsk, but not 100%.

So I kind of, really want to perform a full image of the OS to have something to fall to if I manage to break something (again). But I would hope on something light and without all kinds of added crap that I don't need. Just some app that would image the OS partitions and then stay away from the PC until I would need a recovery. I'd use the Windows tool, but I think it insists on doing the backup in the root of the drive (Recovery folder? can't remember).

I guess a rescue disk of sorts would also work, although i'm not particularly happy to wait 15-20 mins without being able to use the PC.

Thanks.

10. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I've been using Terabyte Image for windows. All you need is the executable & the ini with product key:
    ie, imagew64.exe, ifw.ini.
    Works on a live system or from WinPE...

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Was going to post the same thing. I've been using Terabyte Unlimited products since version 1.73 - Aug 21, 2004
    Actually I'm married with TBU since then /lol

12. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Never tried Terabyte, although I did hear about it a few times. I see they have a 30 days trial. If it's that good, I'll buy it. Gonna install it on the VM to see what it does, thanks.

Any other suggestions for a barebones backup solution?

13. vigipirate

vigipirate MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2011
  14. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I know that, was the first thing I've read.

Anyway. After testing a few of these on my VM, I simply decided to stop losing time and made an Acronis Recovery boot CD and be done with it. 10 minutes later the OS partition was imaged and validated and I didn't have to install anything. I utterly hate installing more and more apps, especially the "heavy" type, with services, tray icons, all wanting to start with Windows, app crying crocodile tears if you put its services on Manual and so on. Macrium Free wanted to download the whole 800MB of WinPE. WHY? I don't need or want to have that, I'm not gonna kill my Windows completely, it never happened and never will, and I'm not averse to a full reinstall of the OS if needed. All I wanted was a small Windows app to create an image, play nice and hide for ages until I might need to recover (probably never).

The biggest disadvantage with Acronis is the .tib format which obviously needs ATI to be read inside Windows. Although I can solve that easily with an Acronis installed on VM instead, so it doesn't pollute my main OS - extract the files I need (if any), and be done.

/rant over.

15. vigipirate

vigipirate MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2011
    acronis update build 12510

16. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    :eek::shok::shock::suicide:

17. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018