DISCUSSION - ("Cold") disk imaging

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, Feb 25, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    dism can image and restore just fine from winpe, no need for any other third party tools

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #342 Enthousiast, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    It's not advised to use dism capture-image for backup purposes, it excludes certain files by default, files you probably want in the backup.

List of excluded files (among others):
    Code:
    [CompressionExclusionList]
    *.mp3
    *.zip
    *.cab
    \WINDOWS\inf\*.pnf

3. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    i image all windows installs this way, never causes an issue for when restoring, never anything missing.

4. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
  5. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    I've a question: is it possible to use the PE Builder created in Win10 be used in Win XP?
    Here there is a PC "IBM Think Center in built Win XP Pro OEM" had hard disk failed. There is no inbuilt backup to create a system image like the modern Windows have, so I used Aomei Backupper to create a system image roughly 28 to 29 GB. But after the hard disk change, it failed to restore the system image to the new disk.
    In the tool section there is an option to create a boot disk with a Linux and WinPE. Linux boot disk doesn't show the drive and the recovery environment for restoration and can't create a WinPE from inside Win XP.

After searching for days I got Aomei PE Builder and used it to build a boot disk for the XP, still it failed to boot then I created a boot disk in my Win10 and tested working in my system but when I tried to boot the Win XP system it failed there too.

So are there any option to restore the system image created earlier or not?

Any expert advice will highly be appreciated. :)

Thanks,
    sid_16.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Hmm, in the above quote you literally ask if you can run the PE Builder in XP, but I guess you mean "run the PE" on the old system? In that case, you don't have to mention "run it in XP", because when you boot the old system with the newly created PE, it doesnt matter which OS is installed on it.
    I think the fact that the AOMEI PE not booting on the old computer has more to do with CPU specs, some older systems don't boot with W10-based PEs (specially 64-bit PEs). In that case, you're better off with a 32-bit PE, maybe even based on Windows 7 or 8 (not W10).

But maybe I misunderstood your question.

7. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    The question is for 'IBM Think Center 32 bit Win XP Pro'.
    I created a PE Builder using a 32bit Win10 1809(17763.195 build) and also tried to build the PE in the Win XP 32BIT system both failed to boot in the older system but the former created in win10 test good in win 10 but failed to boot in older system.

Okay, I'll try to make one in win7 and try if i succeed!
    Anyway thanks for your suggestion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    You're still confusing things.
    You say "I created a PE Builder", but what you mean is "I created a PE", or "I made a build".

I guess the AOMEI builder created a PE that uses the source files already on your hard disk, so you're correct in saying that if you try it again in Windows 7, a different PE will be created.
    Other PE builder systems (like Winbuilder, PEBakery, etc) use separate source files (like a w7 iso, or a w10 iso), so in that case it doesn't matter on which OS you make the PE, but it only matters what you use as "source files" (=iso's).

9. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
  10. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Again: when you boot your system with a PE usb, you're not "running it in win 10 or in XP".
    Instead, you are "booting your computer with a PE usb".
    But that's not very important right now, I think we know what you're trying to say.

How much RAM does the IBM system have? If it has limited memory, booting a PE could be a problem (as the complete PE system has to be loaded into RAM).

Of course it's too late by now, but you should have tested the PE **before** you made the backup. An XP-based PE, or a Ghost boot disk could have been a better solution.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    newer versions of rufus are not compatible with xp also can the system even boot from usb it maybe to old.

12. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    He said he tested the usb on his W10 system, so Rufus shouldn't be the problem.
    But you're right on the "too old" part. We need some system specifications, please (I already asked about them RAM). What is the exact model number?

13. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    #353 sid_16, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    The XP IBM system is Pentium4 with 1GB of RAM running 32 bits XP Pro SP3 since 10 or 11 years but recently the HDD that Seagate barracuda 80GB of PATA failed may be due to its old age :D (I got the term 'pata' used by the tech who changed the hdd).

The first thing came to mind to make a backup but when I searched the system I found no such inbuilt program that can make a system image, therefore, I found Aomei backupper to make the backup. After the HDD replacement done and XP Pro SP2 was installed then I tried to restore the system using Aomei and says to make a bootable disk for the restoration process to carry on. I made the Linux USB, the program started restoration process after computer restarts in a Linux back ground then failed in the middle of the restoration process.

Yes, that system boots from used, I've tested.

The XP IBM system is Pentium4 with 1GB of RAM running XP Pro SP3 since 10 or 11 years. The old system boots from usb, there is a menu of the boot order by pressing F12.
    I'd tried to restore the old system from the Linux boot disk the Aomei backupper created but it didn't make full restoration but failed between 45 or 50% of restoration..

14. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Is it possible now or not?
    Or is there any program (to boot from) that can show me the XP desk top and allow me to restore the system using aomei backupper?

15. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Hmm, lots of new information that would have been useful to list in your original post.

So now it turns out it might as well be a read error on your backup medium? Better do some more testing before you ask again (is the full backup file readable on another system, or do you get read errors there as well?)

16. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
  17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #357 urie, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    sid_16 i'm still confused why would you make a backup from a failed hard drive was the system even bootable.
    If it was can you not connect the new hard drive to the xp machine and use Acronis bootable cd to clone the drive.

18. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    That system was bootable, also its bootable even now but it constantly giving read write error and makes unusual noise, hangs for hours then restarts etc..
    That machine belongs to a close relative who is by profession a doctor (dentist) and has a radio videography software (RVG) that only runs in an XP machine has his patients data in that old hard drive for last 10 years. He insists to retrieve the old data, its not that he can't afford a new machine but the problem is the expensive software has no driver for the latest Windows OS.

If any expert knows any solution, please advise me to follow.

19. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Well, if he's a dentist, surely he can afford a slightly more professional "approach" (take the dying hard disk to a professional recovery company). Of course, he should have made a better effort to make secure (data) backups (easy to do, just copy to external media using explorer).

I believe I asked you if he could read his AOMEI backup at all (on a different system). Not a restore, but a simple copy of the backup to internal hard disk. If he can, it's possibly quite easy to mount that backup and extract his data files from it.

20. Jogs

Jogs MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2018
    You can use Active Boot Disk to create a new image of the failing HDD. Look for some older version, they run quite well on P4 PCs.
    Another thing you can do is take the failing HDD and connect it to some other pc and make an image there. Then connect the new HDD and restore the image and then see what happens.