DISCUSSION - ("Cold") disk imaging

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, Feb 25, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    OK, the restore had took complete 5h 15min which is quite a bit longer that the backup. Good things, all partitions are there and boot from the restored System HDD (which I had formatted upfront) were just fine.

That said, unlike the version 9.x the version 8 of this Acronis Echo Enterprise Server is working correctly.

Tomorrow I'll carry on to check with CloneZilla again. That last I'd done were not able to restore! More to come will be PC-Backup, Amanda, FWBackup and Idera Backup Server. Again, all will be done for Linux Debian Server only and NOT any version of MS OS's!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    I only recreated C partition manually (the rest of the partitions are RAW - because MSR is not visiable in computer management so could not delete MSR), then fired up DS to restore the partitions, however "restore partition structure" is greyed out. When I tried to restore to C, it always tried to restore to MSR. Not sure what the problem is..

3. =)(=

=)(= Guest

#123 =)(=, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  4. =)(=

=)(= Guest

#124 =)(=, Mar 7, 2014
    It did not assign drive letter when using HD1:4 instead of C:.

Code:
    DISKPART> list volume

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
      ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
      Volume 0     F   Win8.1SE     UDF    DVD-ROM      441 MB  Healthy
      Volume 1         System       NTFS   Partition     14 GB  Healthy
      Volume 2         Recovery     NTFS   Partition    300 MB  Healthy    Hidden
      Volume 3                      FAT32  Partition    100 MB  Healthy    Hidden
      Volume 4     E   IMG          NTFS   Partition     57 GB  Healthy
      Volume 5     Y   EFIBOOT      FAT32  Partition    512 MB  Healthy
    And the restored OS booted fine after restart.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Well, what can I say
    has turned into a real discussion thread with members posting results :rolleyes: and even more in-depth test results :)
    Great to see this in house rather than statistics off other web pages. At the end of the day we all want information to see what is best but also what is best for a normal user to use. Not every person knows about partition layouts e.c.t. ( but should make some effort to learn ) average user just wants to restore system once they have made a backup with said software. Keep the discussion going some great information here :biggrin:

6. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    #126 oliverjia, Mar 8, 2014
  7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just a question about Drive Snapshot: Could I use to create an Diskimage with ext2/3/4 (Linux) partiton using an bootable USB Stick with Drive Snapshot? And for sure, also do an Restore!!?

Thanks.

9. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Yes Drive Snapshot does support EXT2/3/4 Linux systems.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks, will give that a try today and see how that would work. As I wrote already in other post's, I'll need to use that with Linux Servers and not any Windows OS. For regular and incremental backups of the servers data I use different apps, it's just for to backup the system HDD of the server while all data are written to an different HDD!

Will report back later how it goes. Thanks.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    So, I get the problem that I could not create the bootable USB Stick with Drive Snapshot. The command used on the Website for to convert the .SNA to .IMG didn't works in Windows 8.1, just get an error! How to do trhat on Windows 8.1?

Thanks

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks Tito! Rufus didn't work as many other apps!

And you're right about DOS! Need to create an DOS Boot USB Stick, lack of floppy drive!! Will try that a bit later today!!

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks for the reply!

And NO, those empty space need to be there or the server wouldn't work! I tested that a few weeks ago already.

Also what I didn't understand is the outcome of that "Backup" 14MB instead of 12GB! That's simply impossible even if you use the highest possible compression! That said, I wouldn't admit it works for Windows OS's well, but Linux! The best solution for now is the use of DRBL with integrated Clonezilla for Linux Server.

Anyway, thanks for to try to help with that problem.

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #136 pisthai, Mar 9, 2014
    Code:
    Filesystem                1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                    478536608 1843284 452385000   1% /
    udev                          10240       0     10240   0% /dev
    tmpfs                         96880     352     96528   1% /run
    /dev/mapper/debian32-root 478536608 1843284 452385000   1% /
    tmpfs                          5120       4      5116   1% /run/lock
    tmpfs                        193740       0    193740   0% /run/shm
    /dev/sdb1                    233191   17155    203595   8% /boot
    That's the HD 2 in Snapshot. The capacity used of that HDD is app. 12+GB, with NO data, or any special apps, just the needed one an one Backup apps which has just a few MB.

I selected the whole HDD for to backup by Snapshot and not just 1 partition! That even wouldn't work for me because I need an exact copy of that HDD in full.

AS you look at the screenshot of the partition of HD 2, the 3 small Free (empty) spaces are marked black which means clearly unallocated (NO Partition). The dark-blue is the boot partition and light-blue the apps/data partition. Than means the real partition used are just 2 separated by those 3 unallocated spaces. LVM is used for the partition scheme.

Now, if I select a full HDD for to backup, why Snapshot is using to work on 1 partition only? The name of that apps is Drive Snapshot and not partition snapshot, or am I wrong? Maybe I've a problem to understand the German thinking?! Even I'm quite fluent in German Language too, maybe even better than in English!

Ah, maybe I should contact those German developer?! Because not about that problem only, even why that apps could be used for to backup via Network/LAN! Just some thinking!!

Thanks anyway for the help.

17. magi12share

magi12share MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2012
    Hi, I'm trying to create a UEFI Win8.1SE bootable for my Acronis True Image. I look and search through the Win8.1SE forum but unable to find any instruction how to create a UEFI secure boot USB drive. I tried using Rufus but my UEFI PC will not detect as UEFI bootable USB drive. I used Windows 8 32bit host computer with Windows 8.1 x64 source DVD. I did read some that I need to check "add EFI boot" in the Final step of Win8.1PE but I can't find that option.

Can you point me to a guide or maybe if you can give me a brief step by step.

I use the UEFI bootable usb flash drive guide from eightforums .com

Thanks.

18. =)(=

=)(= Guest

You can also replace the boot.wim on a Win 8.1 Setup USB that works on your PC and boot that way.

19. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Can't agree here :D.

That would require the power to do so :cool2:.

20. =)(=

=)(= Guest

EFA11 is working for Paragon obviously :rolleyes: