DISCUSSION - ("Cold") disk imaging

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, Feb 25, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    [I apologize for the late reply. I missed your question.]

All of my backups are full. (Every element/partition on the physical drive are selected).

When I restore, I keep all partition sizes as they are in the backup image. I may restore to a different drive - my primary drive is a 128GB SSD. I have restored that drive, keeping partitions the same size, to a 3TB hard drive. Naturally, that left the 3TB with about 2.7TB unused. I created another partition to utilize that space.

I do all backup/restore from a bootable AHTI 2014 USB. I guess folks use the "live" feature, but I just feel better taking the extra time doing it the long way.

If I do any partition resizing/moving, it's done as a separate operation. Had good luck with Aomei for partition management.

2. clecha

clecha MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2010
    1, From the program export the bootable iso file.
    2, Use rufus to format the USB disk to GPT partition and make the iso to the USB disk.
    3, From your Windows 8.1 DVD copy efi\boot\bootx64.efi to the USB disk location
    View attachment 27624

Please try this, when restore please select partition to partition.
    Don't say AOMEI is useless.

3. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Yes we all know how to make AOMEI backupper to start on a secure boot enabled system. The problem is, AOMEI did not copy bootx64.efi when creating its PE, which is an indication of incompetence of the programmers. Also it does not fully support Windows 8.1 yet.
    Yes it's free however when it comes to disk imaging, being free or not is the last thing you want to consider. Reliability is the top priority.
    There are much better ones out there in the list.

4. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Update: (Too lazy to read all the responses, but I think someone already noted this) Turns out ATIH 2014 USB boot media does work with secure boot enabled. No need to change settings. Pretty sure that wasn't the case with earlier versions, which is why I developed that habit.

5. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    I just checked their website - latest still v1.6. Not sure when they will release a new version though.

6. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Looks like Raymond tested all these programs using default settings.
    It does look like one of my former favorites - symantec system recovery, falls behind the group.

7. jabbawok

jabbawok MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    I hate these sort of helpful threads since I always find them after parting with my money.

Anyway for those using Acronis TI 2014 who want to create UEFI SecureBoot compatible media check the below link. I haven't tried it yet but others say it works. The downside is you need the premium version of ATI as it requires the media add-on.

hxxp://forum.acronis.com/forum/54130

8. jabbawok

jabbawok MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    Yeah it is. Choice is always good :)

Edit: I've been looking at TheOven since reading this thread and it looks pretty cool. Don't keep up with these projects much any more. Life's a bit too hectic these days.

9. jabbawok

jabbawok MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2009
    This sounds great. But all these features aren't going to make it into the free version are they? I mean the beta page says:

10. szlajo

szlajo MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2010
    hi all
    first excuse for bad english ;) , Have you tried FarStone TotalRecovery it great software I use for many years.I tried Acronis few years ago and has not made a full Backup but the other side of the story colleagues can not with FarStone backup to another drive.
    bad thing that they do not have the free version only a trial version.

11. ArdilesS

ArdilesS MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2012
    i think clonezilla is the best! thx for info

12. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Well, if you use HDD as your OS drive, then Clonezilla is very good. If you are using SSD, the restore of clonezilla does not support partition alignment yet so you don't want to use it if your OS drive is SSD.

13. urboy4mbx

urboy4mbx MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2012
    @Atari - Thanks for the link on Win8SE. Looks promising! :eek:

14. urboy4mbx

urboy4mbx MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2012
    Already signed up!!!! LOL

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Found it :D. Got your point, have the Builder here at hand :cool:. No problem to start from scratch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    OK :good3:. Stage one completed ~44 MB successfully copied to the Target Folder :cool2:.

18. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    OK. Stage 2 completed successfully.