Discussion of newly leaked SLP key...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vwgolfman, Aug 16, 2009.

1. vwgolfman

vwgolfman MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2007
    In light of word of the blacklisting of the Lenova original SLP key can we have expected a newly leaked SLP key to have emerged by now?

Are there any doubters that this will indeed happen at all?

When can we expect this to be?

2. ripee

ripee MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2009
    The Lenovo key has not been blacklisted! I won't waste time explaining why it's unlike that it will ever be, you can browse through MDL yourself.

More keys will leak no later than within 1 day of the official release, along with any certs that do not activate Vista with a SLIC 2.1 table.

3. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Well, MS can instruct OEM's to hide Product key while automatic preinstallation, something like the well-known command "slmgr.vbs -cpky" does, similar workaround on installation/recovery dvd's. At this moment there's no known ways to retrieve the full key if it's deleted from registry. Of course the chances that this will ever happen are near zero, but "if i were MS..." hmm... And they can block any key in one click by issuing update for pkeyconfig.xrm-ms and not allowing any other updates without that one installed... this will never happen since they don't care even about frankenbuilds.

4. Everilda

Everilda MDL Senior Member

Jun 28, 2009
    The Lenovo key was leaked too early.

It has been reported that this key will not be used on any OEM PCs, so MS will likley flag Windows as 'Not Genuine' though a future WGA update of possibly the release of SP1.

We need keys that have been installed on 1000s of OEM machines, so keys leaked around the time of the official release would be best.

When this happens it is a simple matter to update the key.

5. techtr

techtr MDL Junior Member

Jul 24, 2009
    After 22 October :)

6. vwgolfman

vwgolfman MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2007
    @ ripee .........
    I realise it isn't blacklisted (and hopefully won't be) but chose my words poorly giving you the indication that I thought it had :D

I find this type of discussion interesting so generated a new thread on the subject.

I suppose all we CAN have is a matter of conjecture :cool:

7. chaddawkins

chaddawkins MDL Senior Member

Sep 16, 2007
    i sit in the crowd that believes we shouldn't talk about this particular thing too much, if at all, as not to give anyone any ideas, not that they don't already know, but to bring it up and dwell over it isn't the smartest thing... i don't think

8. ripee

ripee MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2009
    #9 ripee, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
    Even if the keys on pre-installed copies are deleted from the registry, one can always burn a recovery DVD from the recovery partition as per the OEM's instructions. I'm sure that those disks would have the key somewhere in there capable of extraction, and if whoever subsequently installs Win7 from one of those recovery disks, then the key will most likely not be removed from the registry.

In any case, I doubt any of what we've been discussing here will ever be implemented by MS. They even stated that they don't care about us "mad scientists" because they know that 90% of their users will never even realize that the key used when they boot up their new computers for the first time is different than the one on the CoA sticker.

9. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    People will look at the sticker on their PCs ;)

10. Maliciousone

Maliciousone MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    Uh the key on the sticker isnt going to be an OEM SLP key.......

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Speaks the wisdom!!!!!*:D:D

This is GD funny, certainly from a guy that "built his own act*vator"....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Maliciousone

Maliciousone MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    #13 Maliciousone, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
    ^^^^^^^^ :):D:):eek:

13. Maliciousone

Maliciousone MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
  14. Gradius

Gradius MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Dell OEM SLP was leaked already, and we aren't on 10/22 yet!

15. studio

studio MDL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    im sorry but all this talk about blacklisting a key seems to me way off.
    lenovo pressed the disc for installing on there computers correct. so this means it was installed on XXXX computers before getting leaked.
    Dell key will be the same installed on XXXX and then leaked. u think M$ is going to blacklist 2 keys that are in the air for companys to install i dont think so not till a SP1 update or a major update. this has been the same with all versions of windows to date so why all the talk now about a blacklist key. we all know later down the road the key will be blocked till then chill out.

again this is my idea

also lenovo and dell pressed the discs already we have the CERT off the disc as its the same as the VISTA CERT so in my eyes this mean there will not be a CERT 2.1 as the first CERT is all the companys need to keep installing

16. jkh334

jkh334 MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I still think M$ hands are now tied as far as the leaked Dell key although it would not surprise me if on 10/21 M$ put out an update to everyone running win 7 with an SLP key right then to somehow make it non-genuine-if there is a way to do so. M$ knows the only way people are legally running win7 right now are those with retail licenses via MSDN and Technet.

17. rab2

rab2 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2009
    Why exactly would MS fear doing this? Because it might upset these 2 OEMs? It doesn't really matter if MS upsets them, after all it is those OEMs that let keys, which they were entusted to keep secret (till Oct), out into the public domain. The OEMs are the ones who have done wrong, if MS chooses to blacklist those OEM keys (and make the OEM carry the cost of it) then that's really only fair. The OEMs only have themselves to blame.

After release when an OEM key keys out, as of course it will on all shipped computers, they can't blame the OEM for that and they can't annoy all that OEM's customers by blacklisting it. Until that point the key is supposed to be kept secret by the OEM, if they let it out MS has every right to slap the OEM by blacklisting their key.

18. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Yes, and right now till October 22 MS has a full right to mark every computer, using OEM-SLP activation, which will spot on WU, as non-genuine. Genuine are still in boxes, till that day.

19. will5

will5 MDL Senior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I think that win 7 is actually pressed, installed, an running on lot of oem machines.

This keys works on any manufacturer, maybe other oems are using too... so...