DISCUSSION: Office 16

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Luka365, Oct 30, 2014.

1. st_7

st_7 MDL Member

Dec 19, 2009
    With due respect, I don't know why you are confusing yourself with the SKU & version number, which@Tito & @EFA11, have given sufficient information & explanation to have everything cleared about it. And on top of it, you are asking for the sources for the supposed 'name' or 'title' of an yet to be announced or released software, which no one can do it now. But it doesn't mean that people can't call this yet to be announced software with a name(it may or may not be the official name when it gets released), in this case people are just calling it with it's release(version) number. As @Tito said, '16' is the release or version number of next Microsoft Office Software & it may come in many different variations or forms or which are also called SKUs or even referred to as different 'versions' (don't confuse yourself with the word 'version'), and they may call it MS Office Home, Professional & Office 365, whatever heck they like to do but the underlying base software version number of all those different variations (which also usually referred as 'versions') remain same.

To make it more easy, let me remind you that there already exist an Office 365 based on MS Office 2013 Software (which is 15th major version of Microsoft Office Suite) and MS Office 2013 also comes in other forms like Home & Student, Professional, etc., but again all of them have same underlying software version Office 15, aka MS Office 2013. The only difference between them is the features (the higher amount you pay the more feature rich software copy you get) & how you purchase it (the license Office 365 is a subscription based while the other forms of Office like Home & Professional come with life long license that you purchase one time). The present Office 365 itself comes in different forms like Office 365 for Home & Office 365 for Business.

Sorry if my post offends you.

2. Luka365

Luka365 MDL Member

Aug 20, 2012
    this thread is to office 16, 2015, Gemini :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    glad you figured that out luka, so are the pictures?

4. Dr Kirk

Dr Kirk MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2014
    I hope that the Windows UI team actually uses the same type of ribbon as that in Word in their programs. For example use the same style border as that used in Office, Zune, and Visual Studio in paint, notepad, and explorer.
    I'm fed up of Windows being inconsistent :L

5. hanschke

hanschke MDL Senior Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I got the invite from MS for testing it :p But I like to know to safe the german install files for a fresh release ;)

6. akhmedtaia

akhmedtaia MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2013
    #87 akhmedtaia, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. hanschke

hanschke MDL Senior Member

Jan 8, 2008
    what is about the other languages now? Added where :confused:

8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I am not confusing myself, Sir. I need somebody to explain it better to me not by resorting to retorts as you have completely done in your post.

9. adinid

adinid MDL Junior Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Hey guyz i m new here
    want some help
    i'm trying to install office 16 in windows 10 build 9879
    but after executing command i m getting access denied
    already enabled the root admin and using cmd as admin
    anyone with a solution

10. Hamzaan

Hamzaan MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2013
    Hello friends!
    How Install This?
    What Windows supported?
    How Active?
    Thanks in advance:smoking:

11. pagend

pagend MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2014
    Not work. No active hepl

12. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Sorry, but I don't see what's so complicated about it, and @Tito et al. already gave you a pretty good explanation of the facts. I can only repeat their statements here.

"Office 16" is the codename of the next version of Office, where the "16" refers to the internal version number of the application suite, just like "Office 15" was the codename for the current version of Office, where the "15" also referred to the internal version number of the application suite.

The only difference with "Office 365" is that it is a subscription based license, which means it is not bound to a specific version of the product. As long as you pay your monthly/yearly fee, you always get the latest release of the software. Right now, it is version 15 but it will upgrade to version 16 as soon as it reaches RTM/GA or something like that.

Office 2007 -> Office v12
    Office 2010 -> Office v14 (they skipped v13 because they are superstitious)
    Office 2013 -> Office v15
    Office 365 -> Office v15 at the moment, so technically it's Office 2013 "underneath"

It makes sense to refer to "Office 16" because it is the next version of the application suite and they have not decided yet what they're going to call it standalone-wise (probably Office 2015?). If we would talk about "Office 365", people would get confused because right now, Office 365 is technically Office 2013 (and not the leaked follow up version).

13. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I love you man

14. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Now that's weird :D but thanks, I love you guys too. I hope this is solved now.

Back to topic: To me, it's become pretty boring to talk about a new Office in general as most of the few new features won't be interesting for individuals and/or if you don't care about the cloud stuff. A look at the Gemini apps would be interesting, though.

15. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    You make sense though. But, may argument is still relevant looking at what you said in your post. The name indeed is what I am talking about not the version which you are going about in your statement. If you ever comprehended my previous post prior to the mod reply you would understand I am going about the difference between the name and version at a point not the 'version' all rather codename, which are two different things.

However, it is clear the Office 16 is not the name and it points out my post remains relevant. For example, in your message, Office 2007 is the name known to the public rather than the Office V12. My idea is that calling Office 365 (what is really the name seen despite the internal version 16) is very correct. So I see it as calling it the real name known and presented to the public. Like the Windows 10 TP but with different build versions. To the general public it is refer to as Windows 10 TP.

On the final note, I would rather address it as Office 365 Version 16 rather than Office 16 whereas Office 365 is seen when installing it as the name.