[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. amanda

amanda MDL Member

Nov 5, 2010
    I am after the latest build for Windows 10 and the pro version. Where can I get this? I want to see if my desktop and laptop are fully compatible.
    Desktop is running ASUS Sabertooth p67 i5 2500k and laptop is a Dell xps L502.

2. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Look up right above your name there's a little button there that says Windows 10 I think you might find some in there

3. amanda

amanda MDL Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks a lot.

4. phoebeuk

phoebeuk MDL Member

Jun 8, 2016
    #8744 phoebeuk, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    I'm talking about encryption imposed by the Freeview Plus hardware in its recordings, and not those recorded by the PC.

Quoting a FAQ from a site about these hardware boxes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NoDRM4Me

NoDRM4Me MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2018
    I misquoted myself in the earlier post. I'm running Windows 10 virgin 10240 1507.. I could not locate an install for 1511 that would work. Unfortunately, there are no older drivers since my card was released just last year. The 1050Ti are still pretty new.. lol

6. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #8748 crash2009, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    I don't remember if you can get a tuner installed without it but..... did you install DCA into windows and then run DCA from the extras or extras Library in WMC. DCA scans your video adapter and then approves or disapproves of using the 1050 TI.

Is this where the failure is and is this why you suspect the 1050 TI driver?

There is something called the DCA override for video adapters that fail the DCA approval test.

The second part of the DRM installation is to install PlayReady into windows and then run PlayReady from within WMC during the tuner setup. When you see the little Shield and WMC says update system settings, this means you have a winner and DRM channels will play.

EDIT... as I recall there are two places inside WMC tasks where PlayReady can be run from. The most obvious place is during tuner setup but I seem to remember seeing it when I run... WMC/ tasks /set up/ run setup again/

I install into windows both DCA and PlayReady prior to configuring WMC. On some boxes this is not necessary, WMC will go on the internet and download both itself. I use the DCA and PlayReady version contained within the signature section of my posts.

The install process described above might be dependent upon using the older HDHR-3CC software that was released late August of 2015

7. NoDRM4Me

NoDRM4Me MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2018
    Yes, this is where it failed. Video drivers need updating or something to that affect. Windows only picks up the card as a Standard VGA Adaptor.

Yup, I went through the Play Ready and all the other fun. :) I do appreciate your time and help on this but I've wiped the machine and I'm going with a fresh Win 8.1 Pro install. At least this way I can keep up to date with the latest security patches and it should run just fine. Just tragic Windows 10 was stripped of WMC.

8. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
    very true especially with the "Redstone" (RS) releases of Win10

9. Deihmos

Deihmos MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    I wonder why this thread is still open because WMC is dead unless you never update windows. No one seems to be working on it anymore. It installs fine but without the ability to find tuners what's the point?

10. Superor

Superor MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2016
    Don't assume that everything that doesn't work for you doesn't work for everyone else... I have Windows 10 1709 running (the latest non-beta) and using WMC perfectly (except 2 sat channels which use DRM - Nat Geo HD and Boomerang). I live in Greece.

11. Deihmos

Deihmos MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    Maybe it is just the hdhomerun then. I wish someone will find a solution.

12. lachape_one

lachape_one MDL Novice

May 17, 2016
  13. cinescope

cinescope MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2018
    For the record I discovered that the April update breaks DVBlink (WMC can't find any tuner even if they install properly).

I found the fix and shared it elsewhere in the early days of RC4 testing, the fix is the same as above. Any version of that dll, other than the one coming from the, AU works.

I was unaware that It fixed also a different problems. My wmc seemed working ok using a real tuner and not the virtual ones from DVBlink

The same fix is applicable to the RC5 prerelease builds as well.

14. Delphiwizard

Delphiwizard MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    I found that dll in C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-video-tvvideocontrol_etc... folder, how do you rename it? in explorer and with a cmd as admin i get the access denied/rights issue error.

I just installed the Spring creators update, picture and sound seem to be working but i figured i'd ask anyway, as it doesn't seem perfect yet

15. lachape_one

lachape_one MDL Novice

May 17, 2016
    The right dll to replace is located in C:\Windows\System32. Original post edited

16. AnthH

AnthH MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2015
    How do we edit the dll. I dont read French lol

17. Al.Munro

Al.Munro MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2017
    Not working for me. I was using the setup from WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0v2.1.

What version is working for you guys, default or alternative branch, 32 or 64 bit?

18. tdarlington3

tdarlington3 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2015
    The MSVidCtl.dll file in Windows\System32 is owned by TrustedInstaller. Can someone please post the steps to change ownership and rename so I can copy my old replacement?