[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. imkiwi

imkiwi MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2019

2. imkiwi

imkiwi MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2019
    Thank you so much!! I followed the path above and there it was. Ran the install and whola! I have WMC back. Yay!

3. Fudsey

Fudsey MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2015
    Anyone have any ideas on how to change the ip address that WMC sees a HDHomerun? I have tried uninstalling the HDHomerun software, done all the tricks on the SiliconDust site and rerun the WMC setup wizard with nothing working.

If I run c:\windows\ehome\ehprivjob.exe /OCURDiscovery in an admin cmd prompt it shows
    Ignoring unknown device 'HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 1321C184-1'
    Ignoring unknown device 'HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 1321C184-0'
    Ignoring unknown device 'HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 1321C184-2'

This is on a laptop that was working up until I had to replace my router. It also occured on my PC but installing an older version of the HDHomerun software fixed it. On the laptop doing the same thing did not work.

WMC is working fine on my PC with the same HDHomerun on the same network. Both are using the same HDHomerun software version on Windows ver 1511 with WMC ver. 8

I am wondering if anyone knows the registry entries to change to make windows look for the correct IP.

4. Fudsey

Fudsey MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2015
    Well I found it after fumbling through the registry for a while. For anyone else who might be looking for this, here's where I found it:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\ehPrivJob\LocalPbdaSWTunerDevices\

You will find your tuners listed there and can change the key for the IP address to the new one.

5. fredm2002

fredm2002 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2015
    Good Evening, How can I get Play REady to Update? I am using 8.8.4. Thanks and sorry if that has already been answered before.

6. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    you can download the new version from a number of sources including my website

7. BADMOPAR

BADMOPAR MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2012
    Does anybody know if WMC 8.8.4 supports H265/HEVC ?

8. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    people say that it works if you use shark007's codecs but I haven't tried them myself and would definitely recommend a full system backup before installing them

9. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I have tried the same thing in the past but I was never completely susccessful. As a matter of fact I took all of the registry entries I could find that were related to my tuners from a win 7 machine, and transplanted them to a Win 10 machine. Are you able to view cable channels? The HDHomerun WMC Service is used to constantly point WMC to the IP address of the tuners. I installed that using installutil. Is this on Win 10 1511 or a newer build? Thanks.

10. alexnt

alexnt MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Hi
    I recently upgraded to 1903 from 1809 and before doing so I uninstalled wmc and reinstalled it afterwards. I use it only as a tv tuner. It scans for channels and it finishes the scan without errors BUT when I start "live tv" it closes and restarts. I run it as admin.
    Any ideas???

11. THUMPer1

THUMPer1 MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I'm coming from win 7 finally. Installed win 10 1909 and used the install and dll replacement from TECHNODEVOTEE. Huge thanks! But my question is, are we disabling Windows update?

12. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    @THUMPer1, depends how much work you want to do going forward.:)

13. craig59

craig59 MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2019
    Hi I have just upgraded from win 7 32 bit but the installer does not work for me on v13. The cmd just says prepare... I am I missing something?

14. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Where did you save the contents of the zip file?

It need to be on a local drive in a short path with no spaces. It does check all these things but I may have missed something.

I would recommend trying it from somewhere like c:\temp.

15. THUMPer1

THUMPer1 MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I have a pretty simple setup. I am only doing OTA with a win TV Quad tuner. Windows Updates are disabled for now.

16. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    me too.
    Problems usually occur on windows update tuesday, either pause windows update the day before and check here to see if there are any problems and wait for a fix. Or be prepaired to fix the problems after windows updates and maybe MCE might not work.
    It is normally an easy fix by running technodevotee's patch tool

17. craig59

craig59 MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2019
    Hi, thank you but that did not make any difference. Checked everything, unlocked etc I think it is a pc issue as the audio driver would not unstall after upgrade without windows crashing. I have gone back to win 7 via image. I will remove driver and try again. Cheers

18. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    @craig59, not had a lot of luck with Windows upgrades myself - always seems to be something that doesn't work properly.