[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Miamijerry

Miamijerry MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2011
    #181 Miamijerry, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. darkradeon

darkradeon MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    VMs are not a solution.

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    ESX is way too complicated for the average user.

Just go with my solution using Vmware workstation and DVBlink.

4. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Do you know how I could get this working with Media Browser/Emby? I guess I would install the Media Browser server on the VM as well, but then I have Media Browser create huge video and music libraries from the files on my local drives. If I used a VM then how would I access those files? If it is over the local network then it seems like there would be lag as it would be network > media broswer> back to network again.

Media Broswer would have to transcode MKV files from within the virtual machine.

Seems easier just to stick with Win 8.1...

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Why complicate your life installing Emby on the virtual machine?

The virtual machine should be configured for the minimal cpu usage, network traffic, ram usage and so on.

Just use the VMware (workstation, not ESX) to run the WMC application and let the tuning, transcoding, whatever to the real W10 machine.

In short install DVBlink server on W10 machine, install W8 WMC and DVBlink client on the virtual machine.

Optionally install Emby/Plex on W10 machine and use the dvblink addon to access the TV channels.

6. dejong12

dejong12 MDL Member

Jan 4, 2009
    How can I set up my VM WMC to use my Recorded TV folder which is located in my D:/ drive?

7. segobi

segobi MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

You can map a real partition to a VM

Anyway, the idea is that if you use the dvblink server on a machine w/o WMC installed it's own recorder will be used, so the recording path is a DVBlink configuration.

If you install the DVBlink server on a different machine that has WMC installed either the wmcrecorder or the dvblink recorder can be used

9. panmat

panmat MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2009

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    MDL doesn't look as a place where the the users are concerned about prices. ;)

11. Graznok

Graznok MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    You cannot play recorded programmes or time-shifted live at 1.4x pitch-corrected speed.

12. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Because I use Emby as an addon for Windows Media Center, which is then accessed through my Xbox360 Extenders.

13. MikeFarter

MikeFarter MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2014
    Kodi is great, but it doesn't work with CableCards.

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #196 T-S, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015

I know little about the Xbox extenders, anyway with the setup I suggested you have a great amount of variations.

You can have a dvblink server machine on the lan, different from the w10 machine, that could be a WMC machine, a W10 machine, a Win [home]server machine, or even a NAS or a raspberry based appliance.

With that basic configuration, you can access the live tv from a WMC client (trough the DVBlink network client), from a kody client (via the dvblink addon), from your android phone (via the official android DVBlink app), and via the web interface trough almos any browser.

You can also install a plex or emby server (plus the emby or plex addon), and access the live tv via a further web UI, and trough any amby or plex server.

Not enough, you can also install WMCserver on the server (if WMC enabled) and access the live tv trough kodi, plex, emby and the related wmcserver plugin

Not enough you can install wmcserver on a WMC client machine which, in turn, connects to the dvblink server, and share the livetv with it.

There is also a script that makes the mediaportal server able to access the DVblink server via the IPTV virtual tuner, so you can even use the mediaportal clients for windows and android.

Using a single W10 machine the possible combinations are slightly reduced, because the resources involved, and because you can't have the WMC server there.

All you have to do is to experiment and found the best combination, according to your setup and your needs.

We can talk for days about all the possible variations.

15. devans123

devans123 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    I am using ProgDVB7 free version, it's the closest to WMC that I have found, simple to set up.
    The free version has EPG and pause/play, If you want the record feature there is paid version.

16. BillTech

BillTech MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2010
    fantastic does it play and record copyrighted content? that's the whole issue here mostly...

17. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Hi,
    Media Player Classic Home cinema is able to catch DVB tuners (I didn't check if it can record). But Media Center is easier to use. I'll upgrade soon to Windows 10 from 7 to make my licence legit, and I'll test it.
    Since a DVD Player appeared via Windows Store, may we hope a TV/Cable app ?
    If someone succeeds to make WMC work on W10, I will keep it. In the other case, I'll go back to Windows 7.

18. Graznok

Graznok MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Nope. Microsoft will make XBox One able to record TV, and probably make Windows 10 Movies & TV application able to access recordings.

pcworld.com/article/2956599/video/xbox-one-is-getting-over-the-air-dvr-with-caveats.html