[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. tquade

tquade MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2014
    The latest W10 preview build 14267.rs1 seems to have killed Media Center. It installs (v12) but will not start.

Ted

2. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #3722 DavidinCT, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    OK, My test results.... Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate. This is fully setup at this point, Most updates (lacking some security updates due to past issues) and 360 Extender setup and working.

After backing up and restoring about 5 times, here are my results with the RDP patch on Windows 7. My goal was to have Extenders working, Volume control STOP popping up every time a video stops and as I run my WMC machine at 2160p, I want the "The Res is too high for Media Center" message to be disabled.

1. Downloaded WMC7601x64-RDP-patch-V2.7z, Patched with the 2 fixes, Installed. WMC seemed to work fine with most issues resolved (volume but, high res was still showing), RDP session worked but, Live TV would go to "Driver error" but, Recorded TV worked fine (a little choppy over RDP). The BIG problem with this, is the setup Extender no longer would connect, the 360 would keep searching then finally time out.

RDP working but, seems to have broken 360 Extenders, Tried this 3 times, one with my patches, and 2 times with out any of my patches (as unzipped), same result video over RDP and Extenders not working.

2. Restored machine, took the 2 files directly from the 100% working machine (ehshell.dll and Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.dll), Patched JUST the ehshell.dll with the 2 patches (Volume and Res message). Dropped into WMC7601x64-RDP-patch-V2.7z but overwrote the 2 files (replaced them with my mod and the untouched other file). Ran the script and rebooted. Results: The 2 fixes appeared to work fine, No more Volume pop up and over 5-7 tries, restarting WMC, changing inputs in my AVR, restarting the computer, I have not seen the "res too high message" so it MIGHT of addressed it. BEST OF ALL, the 360 Extender still works.

So, in a nutshell, Something in the RDP patch/HEX mod BROKE 360 Extenders....wish I could have both.

If more testing is needed, I have my system backed up to the point of being ready to install the patch, it takes me a few min to drop it back down...

3. Graznok

Graznok MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    The patch I made must contains unnecessary modification because remote session type is defined many times and I couldn't know if it was a RDC- or an Extender-related value (so I removed all :D).

I will make new patches with less mod in it.

4. tquade

tquade MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks for the info. I'm re-imaging the test machine from scratch. I'll post the results.

Ted

5. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    An interesting but, REALLY bad find after patching on Windows 7. You cant install or use any WMC add-ons. Media Center studio does not work, 3-4 3rd party things I tried give a "failure to install"(they never show up in WMC) and "RegisterMCEapp.exe" crashes when you try to install something.

This is another big deal, as I need Blu-ray software and streaming software on my HTPC.... Man, it really is ALWAYS something, isn't it ? So close but, yet so far...

6. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    You got something "Really Squirrelly" going on there David. You know this stuff with your eyes closed...7 is simple. When I get fed up with things that shouldn't be happening, I start with the Power Supply and test for proper voltages. Then I do a Ram test, one piece at a time in each slot. These 2 tests only take 15 minutes. Then I test the Hard drive.

In your case I think I would un plug the amp for a bit and see if things improve.

I think you have more going on than a patch. What 3rd Party software is giving you the problem? I will test it on my test7 which is RDP Patched just like yours.

7. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Media Center studio, Revision3 and a few other ... Try that one...

8. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
  9. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Have you tried installing an older .NET

Look in Abbodi's signature.

10. laffreux

laffreux MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2016
    #3733 laffreux, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Thanks for the awesome work. Just updated to W10 after checking here if WMC would work fine. Had a little trouble to launch wmc after installation, as there was no shortcut on the start menu. Finally found the exec file and clicked my way to the magic. All is working exactly like it was before. No need to search channels and all my scheduled recordings were still there. Just had to set up again the place where recordings are stored and that was all. I don't how this could be possible to have a wmc fully functional like this but I suppose it was not really cleaned by the upgrade to W10. I live in France and even the EPG is working as it was before. Should be able to use WMC for one month more or till 2023, the end of W8.1 support, when EPG will probably fall down in MS servers. (hope this will last till 2023 but have no illusion about this).

11. 01moredave

01moredave MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2016
    New member, long time WMC user just wanted to let you guys know you have absolutely made my day! I was really disappointed that W10 didn't support WMC as I couldn't find anything that worked as well for recording and viewing live TV.

On one of my regular google searches for WMC replacement, I found a link to this forum so I immediately dusted off the "backup" W7 MCPC, got it up to W10 and used the install files linked in this post.

Its early days, but it worked a treat! I use EMBY with the WMC plug in and couldn't be happier.

Thanks again.

12. Graznok

Graznok MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    #3736 Graznok, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I have to determine which variable or method defines a Remote Desktop Connection and an Extender connection.

ehshell.dll
    Code:
    // ServiceBus.UIFramework.Capabilities
    private static bool _IsUISessionRemoted
    {
        get
        {
            try
            {
                if (!Capabilities.m_bIsRemote.HasValue)
                {
                    Capabilities.m_bIsRemote = new bool?(SystemInformation.RemoteSession && !Capabilities.IsFUSBackgroundSession());
                }
                return Capabilities.m_bIsRemote.Value;
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                RemotingDiagnostics.Fail("_IsUISessionRemoted failed", ex.ToString());
                if (eDebug.FilterException("_IsUISessionRemoted failed", eDebug.ExceptionType.Recovered, ex))
                {
                    throw;
                }
            }
            return false;
        }
    }
    What the patch did:
    Code:
    Capabilities.m_bIsRemote = false;
    Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.dll
    Code:
    // Microsoft.MediaCenter.Interop.SystemInformation
    public static bool RemoteSession
    {
        get
        {
            return Win32Api.GetSystemMetrics(4096) != 0;
        }
    }
    What the patch did:
    Code:
    return false;
    ehshell.dll
    Code:
    [DllImport("ehuihlp.dll")]
    internal static extern bool IsFUSBackgroundSession();
    ehuihlp.dll
    Code:
    __int64 IsFUSBackgroundSession()
    {
      unsigned int v0;
      __int64 result;
      int v2;
      __int64 v3;
      v0 = 0;
      v2 = 0;
      v3 = 0i64;
      if ( WTSQuerySessionInformationW(0i64, 0xFFFFFFFFi64, 8i64, &v3) && v3 ) // WTS_CURRENT_SERVER_HANDLE,
                                                                               // WTS_CURRENT_SESSION,
                                                                               // WTS_INFO_CLASS.WTSConnectState
      {
        LOBYTE(v0) = *(_DWORD *)v3 == 4; // WTS_CONNECTSTATE_CLASS.WTSDisconnected
        WTSFreeMemory();
        result = v0;
      }
      else
      {
        result = 0i64;
      }
      return result; // TRUE if v0 == WTSDisconnected; else FALSE
    }
    Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.dll
    Code:
    // Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.Form
    public bool IsSessionRemote
    {
        get
        {
            return SystemInformation.RemoteSession;
        }
    }
    What I just discovered:

ehshell.dll
    Code:
    protected static bool _IsExtenderDevice
      {
          get
          {
              if (!Capabilities.m_bIsExtender.HasValue)
              {
                  Capabilities.m_bIsExtender = new bool?(false);
                  if (!Capabilities._IsUISessionRemoted)
                  {
                      return false;
                  } 

[...]

}
              return Capabilities.m_bIsExtender.Value;
          }
      }

13. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
  14. Graznok

Graznok MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Is allowing video playing through Remote Desktop Connection enough? Is RDP-patched-version UI rendering the same as Extender UI rendering?

What are the things allowed in Extender and not allowed in unpatched RDP?

15. tquade

tquade MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2014
    #3739 tquade, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Re-imaged the test machine and WMC v12 now works.

Thanks
    Ted

16. laffreux

laffreux MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2016
    I know that. But how can I hope another EPG service with the SAME UX IN MC AND for France TV programs ?
    I'm afraid this won't happen, as french users don't understand how priceless is WMC for live TV, digital scheduled recordings and timeshifting. And don't forget about subtitles, additionnal languages for movies and series, without any tricky configuration process. And some says we can find better free softwares... Sorry, I gave them a try and no one was worthing the time I spend on it.