[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Don't mixup the GUI with the service.

It's already plenty of tools that allows to grab the data elsewhere then inject them in the WMC db.

Starting from EPG collector which can work just with the EIT data (the ones aired with the TVsignal)

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Here the Dvblink addon works, the WHS addon works, My channel logo works, Media Center Themer works. Evrithing I use still works just like before the patch

3. laffreux

laffreux MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2016
    #3743 laffreux, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Will give a try to aired EPG after April 6th, as france is moving to exclusive hd channels at this day.
    But if it remains same it is now for aired EPG, it will be useless : Will lose the 2 weeks of epg to get just 2 or 3 days or even only one hour, as it doesn't seem to be able to display content for two weeks as does wmc (not sure I have been clear enough). But I'm really interested in a better quality content EPG, as the actual one doesn't display all the texts and leave me with [] to say : Such tired I just cannot show you the rest of this movie information. But is there any chance to find a better EPG service, usable in WMC AND for France digital channels ? Better try to get Santa's phone number...

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    That's the point of EPG collector, to be scheduled even hourly, and to collect and inject them on WMC db, on Dvblink DB, or just export them as xml, allowing for further manipulation from external programs.

Also it can marge a standard Xml with the EIT data to get a more complete listing.

Anyway, a 15 day listing can be a double ended weapon, the programs can change at the last moment, making the EIT data current while the ones coming from MS (or other online providers) outdated.

5. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015

Attached Files:

6. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #3747 crash2009, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    initial price was expensive,. ROI was 9 months compared to renting a cable box. I have been using 2 Echo's for 36 months. So comparing price to ROI , I have received 4 times in service compared to initial price.

DRM channels were a big deciding factor. I like the convienience of starz, hbo, cinemax, and showtime compared to torrents. There is always something on and I don't have to go look for it. Lazy I guess.

To most of us here, it's a cable box we don't have to rent.

Size too, was a consideration. A little velcro and stick it on the back of the tv, my remote is my cell phone. Plus, I get everything on the server.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Sure. Sometimes the commercial habits from US sounds odd here.

We have the opposite problem here with say Sky which has a mandatory use of its box, like it or not.

People who want a different solution can buy and mod a Dreambox, which is formally forbidden by the contract, so it's a perennial mouse v.s cat like fight, with always changing encryption methods, and subsequent downtime until the Dreambox mod is updated

Size is important as well, personally I've decided to replace a full tower with a reasonably small device capable of acting as traditional server and as HTPC and as TV/media server, instead of keeping the old tower and using a micro PC stuck on TV's back.

Remote is not a problem. With eventghost practically anything can act as WMC (and other SW remote), anyway I use the smartphone just as an emergency solution. I need a tactile feedback to be fully satisfied ;)

8. MacKillr

MacKillr MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2016
    #3749 MacKillr, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Graznok, this is awesome. I've been spending time looking at wireshark and source code for Linux RDP clients to try to backtrace into how Windows handles Extenders, but going very slow as you can imagine. I had not concept of looking for the actual code for the windows DLLs. That would speed up 10x my effort. Is it possible for you to point me towards how to get the code??

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I think that in the meantime you can start to look at the first pages of this thread to understand how to decompile the .net things.

10. Graznok

Graznok MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    It appears that Media Center handles two session kinds: "local" and "remote". Local session uses DirectX while remote session uses GDI rendering. Remote session doesn't show intensive UI animations, and doesn't allow neither video to be played nor TV to be set up.

I didn't find a way to allow video playback while using a "remoted" session yet (using Remote Desktop Client).

Also, through remote desktop connection, live TV setup is blocked and a message says that we cannot do that with an Extender. So Media Center sees remote desktop connection as an Extender. And hacking "remote" session to be a "local" one breaks Extender.

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    GDI Can be forced locally with the /gdi switch, but then you'll get no video at all (the infamous missing required files error)

12. BeauGiles

BeauGiles MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2013
    I've had no issue installing and running on latest insider build, I can listen to music and watch videos, but Live TV is dead. Scanning for channels doesn't work. Gets to 100% and finds no channels, though the light on my tuner does light up as it scans.

TotalMedia continues to work fine for live TV

13. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
  14. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
  15. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #3758 crash2009, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

Attached Files:

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Yes. Here is slightly different. Afaik there aren't pirated cards with the actual system, and many people want just to use the legit card on a third party decoder.

Anyway given the protocol to talk with a legit sim card must be emulated via SW, with a dreambox is possible to share a legit SMART card, via TCP/IP. The typical use is to use two home decoders with a single card, but quickly lead to a whole building usage (say one legit card that serve 20 families) and also to international piracy where people, typically form some former eastern block countries, shares a single legit subscription with hundreds of people located in EU countries.

Obviously this kind of use is challenged constantly with any means.

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012