[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Kody is a good SW, with variable performance depending on the backend used (one of wich is WMC) and with an hideous UI.

"The best" is another thing

2. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    #22 jiminheimer, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
    That OCUR card ? Never heard of it. Is it ATI? Ceton? This is what I use: HD Homerun Prime> Cable card> NextPVR (back end, free) &Schedules Direct w w w. schedulesdirect . org ($25.00 a year) for guide data and of course> Kodi (front end, free) with NextPVR (free) add-in. It's that easy. VERY easy. Initial setup is HARDER than WMC but it REALLY pays off.....Kodi is a MUCH better program. I use this with all my Windows AND Linux PCs/laptops in my house. Works awesome for tablets too!

I started using this years ago because I saw the decline and non-development of WMC as the "writing on the wall", I KNEW Microsoft would do this eventually. They always pull this crap.

3. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    WMC has 2 advantages over Kodi: initial setup and free guide data. After that ...well that's it... Kodi is light years ahead of anything WMC ever was. Especially sound! Trust me. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't used Kodi much at all or ever used it. Kodi will install on anything that basically has a motherboard or any operating system! Don't even get me started on OpenELEC (Google it) it makes Kodi even easier!

4. Zardoc

Zardoc MDL Addicted

Feb 7, 2008
    Now watch it, you might be categorized as stubborn person :eek:

5. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    I didn't know that the OP started the thread as discussion about WMC :g:

6. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    So I can use my cable card and use the xbox360s I bought to use as extenders as well extenders?

7. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Yes, You just need a cablecard tuner in your PC.

8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Again your not using Kodi/XBMC to do this, your using a 3rd party utility to add a 'Feature' that WMC has as standard.

There is also a lot of 3rd party add-ons and utilities, that you can use with WMC too. Which increases its capability's even more.
    But, that like with Kodi/XBMC all these add-ons and utilities, add to the complexity of the setup and usually decrease the 'SAF' (Spouse Approval Factor). Which is not what 'normal' people what. :(

@Zardoc,
    I think both sides are just as stubborn one this one. :p

9. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    "Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final?"

10. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    #30 jiminheimer, May 10, 2015
    No Xbox 360s as far as I know. BUT for a tight budget you can use a little Rasberry Pi or any old $50.00 PC or laptop.

11. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    #31 jiminheimer, May 10, 2015
    So you have a choice here like I did, either use Kodi with another third party add-on or keep griping about it? Go rent those cable boxes for $10.00 each a month. WMC is going away so why not? Microsoft charged for it with Win 8.1 then abandoned it, they freaking suck. Kodi is free man! :D NextPVR is FREE!

My wife and son use my Kodi setup just fine. Why not read up on it, it's fairly easy to setup. It's the same "principals" as WMC ... final setup is a MUCH better presentation than WMC.

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    And have a way better UI, is lighter, is snappier, channel changes is almost instant, doesn't require an additional MySql server running on the machine and so on

WMC, IS. Its still working perfectly, and will work perfectly in the foreseeable future.

I don't need to trust anyone, I have tried practically any Mediacenter since Showshifter was released in year 2000 or so. In windows, in linux and android. And I'm perfectly aware of the strength and weakness of all the programs of this kind.

What same principles you are talking about? :confused:

WMC is a complete program, Kodi is just a way to share the media over the network, that relies on another SW to manage the live TV. And it's the same for Plex and Emby.

13. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    #33 jiminheimer, May 10, 2015
    You sir, have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about. AT ALL. You have not or ever used Kodi, I can tell by your comments. Give it a try (it's obvious you haven't) WMC was mediocre at best... that is why it is gone and XBMC/Kodi flourishes. Use it with NextPVR! Why are you freaking over "another software or 3rd party" so what, they are FREE! Mine has been working over 2 years solid as a rock! WMC was easy to setup...I'll give you that... but is was outdated, clunky, had terrible sound, and was underdeveloped for years. Kodi works on Windows, Linux, Mac, BSD, Android, iOS,.....it's no contest.

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Hahaha.

Fanboysm and reverse fanboysm are really a global disease nowadays, and looks like you are one the affected.

Is that hard to understand that is better to use WMC and/or Kodi, and/or Emby (my actual setup, for the record) rather than being forced to use a different backend and a number of less choices?

And no being free and/or open source has nothing to do with the final result. Many free programs are on par or better than paid solutions. This is not the case.

Kodi, Mediaportal, Nextpvr, Mythtv and alike are good SWs? Yes

Are they superior to WMC on some aspects? Yes, again.

Can we say they are globally superior to WMC (or to a combination that includes WMC)? Absolutely not.

15. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    #35 jiminheimer, May 10, 2015

Stating facts about this isn't "fanboyism" but whatever suits you, Hey knock yourself out. That's just spin because I gave FACTS to support my opinion, you were the one spouting off about how everything "sucks besides WMC", and your not a "fanboy"? Global disease? Forced to use a backend? Pluuueeaaseee.

How is is your "WMC rules!" opinion helping anyone here that needs a future PVR solution? Try helping others instead griping about it. Again keep using WMC until it dies. It hasn't been developed for years, who would want to use that? It was pretty terrible anyway, even Microsoft wanted to do away with it. FACT.

This solution has been working for me for years, I was asked how by another poster and I provided an answer. Try it instead of bashing it.

16. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
    #36 ricktendo64, May 10, 2015
    (OP)
    I have tried kodi, set it up using MediaPortal backend and it did not come close to WMC in performance. Took much longer to scan for channels and some HD channels were black (could hear but not see them) and WMC remote is not supported either!!!

I love WMC for watching TV and also use it (with a codec pack) to watch movies (because it remembers where I last left off)

Why cant Microsoft come up with a Metro Media Center?

I don't believe the bulls**t they state that not many people use it, why wont they release the figures of how many people (Free+Paid) upgraded Win8/8.1 Pro to WMC?

17. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    #37 jiminheimer, May 10, 2015
    Try NextPVR. it's fast and WMC remote is supported. I never liked MediaPortal either. I'm hearing good things about ArgusTV. I might test it in the future.

18. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Facts?

What facts? "Kodi is light years ahead WMC" ?

If you call that sentence "facts" yes you wrote some facts.

You sound just like all those kids who startet saying "i never used the start menu" when win 8 was released.

It's better if you post your kind of facts on Neowin...:D

19. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Why is this thread going way off topic ? This is about porting WMC to Windows 10, not about all the other 3rd party apps out there. Everyone has their favorites and they have their reason for it. It's cool.

If you like Kodi or XBMC, great but, this is off topic, this was just asking about can WMC be put on Windows 10 ?

20. ah-le-le

ah-le-le MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    WMC stuff will probably end up on the Xbox One. I am fairly certain you will be able to do OTA recording whenever that happens. Will the Xbox One be able to record Copy-Once protected content using a cablecard tuner??? I have no idea about that.