[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    A recording just started now and a minute or so later the red dot suddenly showed up. When I checked what icons were allowed to display the other day the recording icon wasn't the red dot but was instead something else, now it's similarly correct. Odd. Seems a lot of things in win10 take a while to bed down and stabilize.

2. Gareth North

Gareth North MDL Junior Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi meluvalli

I have finally managed to get this working! Xbox connecting to Windows 10 with no drop outs after 5 mins watching live tv and recorded tv and it behaving perfectly.

My mistakes were two fold:-

1) When i downloaded and installed as an administrator the latest version of RDP Wrapper (Version 1.6) i also needed to run as an admin the Update.bat to install some more updates. I then also needed to run RDPConf.exe and untick "Single Session per User" and under security mode click "Disable Secuirty". Also I needed to test that its all working and use RDPCheck.exe so see a small window of your live desktop appear to prove it. Once that's all done the RDP Wrapper part is setup.

2) Then download Mcx2Prov.zip from your link but once the zip is downloaded you need to right click and go properties on the zip file and on the general tab at the bottom tick the box next to unblock. This bizarelly you will only be able to do on the zip file itself. Then when you copy the Mcx2Prov.exe out of the zip file onto your desktop say and you inspect the general tab of that file there will be no unblock option on that either.

Once a file is unblocked it won't have any unblock option on it when you go back and reinspect that's you clue it has been unblocked. All very confusing. After 15 years in IT dealing with all kind of conudrums never knew about this but then I've not been mixing a maching files like this before.

I was downloading the zip then dragging the Mcx2Prov.exe file out of it onto my desktop going properties on it to find it had an unblock option but if you do it this way though you cannot actually ever succeed in ticking unblock. You have to unblock on the zip then copy Mcx2Prov.exe out and it comes out of the zip unblocked.

So I've unblocked the zip file which seems to unblock the contents and dropped the Mcx2Prov.exe file out of it in the right place in the installation folders and altered the text in the install.bat file as you stated and dropped the file ntrights file in its location and then installed media center.

Then rebooted and now if when i tried pairing an extender it should have worked. Except it still didnt for me on my windows 10 desktop after multiple attempts so i tried the same setup on my Windows 10 laptop and it paired. I was doing my first experiemting on my desktop with windows 10 in Late January and i didnt figure out how to stop it auto updating until after it had grabbed and installed updates. So these updates formed part of my baseline acronis image. The windows 10 laptop has no updates at all. So looked like an update was to blame and the desktop had only the following:-

Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3116278)
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3124262)
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - January 2016 (KB890830)
    Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3133431)
    Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372)

So i nuked the lot and rebooted and it paired the exetnder. My desktop Windows 10 build version went from Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.71) down to Version (OS Build 1056.0). I need to figure out precisly which update is behind this, i suspect it is one of the top two.

Hope this helps anyone trying. Very close to moving over entirely to Windows 10 now.

Best Regards

Gareth

3. rauscherdigital

rauscherdigital MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2016
    :clap:Long time lurker on this project, just wanted to thank everyone for their hard work on the extenders! Can't wait for v13!:worthy:

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    What are you talking about?:confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #3985 crash2009, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    I do believe we have a winner folks. This latest addition to the extender quest has allowed me to get past the Mcx2Prov error. Thanks to Meluvalli's idea to add Mcx2Prov and NtRights files into the mix. I am sure that Graznok's HexEdit's come into play as well as Abbodi's injection process. I also used TS's 1-Click Installer to throw the whole package together. Gareth North's suggestion, to uninstall updates and return Win 10 to OS Build 10586.0 was used as well.

I made a little progress with the Ceton Echo tonight. Not sure what little adjustment, did the trick, but I was changing the port number in RDP Wrapper. Originally it was on 3389, then I changed to 3390, then 3391. The Echo and Tv are in a different room. Next time I was in there I saw this on the TV. Says I have to use Ceton's My Media Center to control the Echo extender.

Ceton Echo is connecting. No Live Tv yet. Port Forwarding is complete in the router. Fighting with the Ceton MMC app now. MMC app says something similar to NO TUNERS. Photo of exact MMC error is shown on my phone. Unable to find a device capable of tuning to a channel. By the way, for those of you that are unfamiliar with the Ceton My Media Center App (MMC), the app is only a remote control. It does not actually play anything on the phone. MMC will only play something on the TV attached to the Ceton Echo Extender.

As I recall from last night, Ceton's MMC App is able to display the EPG Guide, Recorded TV, Movies, etc. However the MMC app is unable to actually make something "Play" on the Extender. Might be a Firewall/Port issue.

Attached Files:

6. Gareth North

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi,

One happy bunny here. Multiple xbox 360s paired and working simultaneously with my main Media centre PC as Extenders on Windows 10. Back to how things were on Windows 8.1.:clap: Things seem a little bit more responsive when navigating the menus than before. All my hardware has stayed the same just swapped from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Anyone else thought this?

Will be monitoring this forum to see if the Ceton Echo is got working. Always wanted to own one. I have an old Linksys DM2100 Extender would love if I could get that to work if so I'd stick that in the shed!! :rolleyes:

I'm also trying Media Center on a NUC things are pretty sweet on that except centralised recordings don't work which is a real bugger. I wish someone could design a little app a bit like recorded tv Broker that would show recordings on all devices running Media center that aren't an extender or the main Desktop PC and allow extra recordings to be set to record on the main desktop.

Then I'd have no need for the mythical Softsled!

When I find out which update kills the xbox from working for Meluvalli I'll be sure to let you know.

If anyone wants a cool new theme its here for the time being:-

bolexh16user.net/ehres.dll

Best Regards

Gareth

7. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    This is what I see on the TV connected to the Ceton Echo extender. When I pick up the phone and go to the Ceton MMC app everything looks normal I can see my movies I can see recorded TV I can see the guide I can see all my channels, everything looks normal. As a matter of fact I can play all those things that I can see on the phones MMC app on the Win10 HTPC. When I tap play to the HTPC the tuner engages and starts playing WMC on the HTPC. When I tap stop the tuner disengages and the live TV stops.

When I try to play to the MCX-1, I can see the light come on on the tuner I checked task manager eh receiver is receiving, wireshark confirms the tuner is sending to the Win10. Unfortunately nothing is being sent to the extender.

Any idea's?

I have tried the Win7 version of the MMC for HTPC, The win8 version is the only one that will install. Is there another version for win8? or can the Win7 version be tricked into running on Win8/10. If I only knew how, I would disassemble the software and remove or disable the "check OS" part.

Attached Files:

8. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #3988 crash2009, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Congratulations on being the 2nd person in the entire world to be running Xbox extenders in Windows 10. Pioneering is great!

If you don't mind can I ask a few questions regarding some of the procedures you used and some of the settings? If No just don't answer.

1) RDPwrapper RDPConf what are your settings?

2a) Did you run the Graznok patch for RDP with the 1-Click Installer or are you running the non-patched version that came with your original Win10?

2b) If you ran the RDP patch, did you hexedit your own files or use the ones in the installer?

2c) Which installer did you use?

3) Did you have to wait a long time for the OS to settle down after the uninstall of WMCv12 or did you go WMC run as admin immediately after boot.

4a) Have you tried a protected/DRM Live tv channel?

4b) Protected WTV Movies

Attached Files:

9. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Quick one....I installed v12 (Windows 10 fully updated)....It does nothing when I click on it... I uninstalled it and put in v11 and that runs fine....

any idea ?

Got my tuners shared off my W7 machine, so I wanted to help test Extenders but, I cant run v12 for some reason...

10. Gareth North

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi Meluvalli

In answer to your questions:-

1) RDPwrapper RDPConf what are your settings?

When I wasn't able to get the Xbox's to connect I was scrabbling around for solutions and i saw picture1 on post #3978 by crash2009 and set my RDP Wrapper config to as shown. Only differences from before being untick "Single Session per user" and put the dot on "Disable Security (not recommended). This may not be the reason it works I suspect it was just updating the program that pobably started it working which i didn't do initially. When it didn't work my RDP Wrapper looked as shown in this pic in a previous post. bolexh16user.net/LatestError.jpg

2a) Did you run the Graznok patch for RDP with the 1-Click Installer or are you running the non-patched version that came with your original Win10?

I have succefully ran Graznok's patch before when setting things up / testing them out in the past before trying to get extenders to work. I haven't since getting Extenders to work but I know the procedure and will try re running it tonight and see if the Extenders still connect in and i can RDP to the main desktop and watch TV directly on its Media Center. I'll let you know. Currently unpatched though.

2b) If you ran the RDP patch, did you hexedit your own files or use the ones in the installer?

I understand how to hex edit the files myself using an editor and did try this initially but because these are special windows system files i think they need to be injected back by the special installer otherwise windows won't recongise or work with them seeing as they need to be updated in multiple places also . The patched file came with the installer files so pointless not to use Graznoks alreay patched file.

2c) Which installer did you use?

I've been using the 12.7 installer from the moment it was available.

3) Did you have to wait a long time for the OS to settle down after the uninstall of WMCv12 or did you go WMC run as admin immediately after boot.

Whenever i install the Media Center installer its always on a clean build. I have a habit of creating virgin installs of OS's using Acronis images so if i want to i can start afresh. So many people on this forum have weird issues caused by uninstalling and reinstalling stuff I think it best to always test from fresh each time. It did seem a bit more laggy just after setup but it may of been DVB-Link

4a) Have you tried a protected/DRM Live tv channel?

I live in the UK and the main protected premium content comes from a monopoly called Sky owned by Rupert Murdoch and I've made it my life's ambition to never knowingly pay a penny to any of his media holdings as him and his family and the way he runs his businesses have been a bad influence in so many ways on UK public life / discourse and probably the same in the US. If your able to upload somewhere 1 min of SD DRM WTV file content i'll try it for you. I have the Playready software already installed as DVB-Link requests that you install it I'm running a DVB -Link enabled setup.

4b) Protected WTV Movies.

Same as above

Thanks again for your technical expertise on figuring out how all of this works!

Best Regards

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Nice. ;)

What program did you use to replace the resources?

12. Gareth North

Jan 27, 2016
    If you Google the word "Restorator" you can download a 30 day trial of the software which wil allow you to open my Ehres file which is just a resource dll packed with pics (hence its size). You can export images and import images to it and re save it. If there's something you like about the default theme that isn't in my "Around the mountains" theme you can find it and drag and drop across betwen. Enjoy.

13. TOFnow

TOFnow MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Same thing with v12 on three machines after numerous tries using HDPrime while v11 works fine.:confused:

14. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Dam, Ok, I guess I'll try to find the change log between 11 and 12... I wanted to help on the extender quest...

12 does not work at all on my machine, it installs with no errors but, When I click on the ehshell.exe manually(in the windows folder), it does nothing....

15. mwpeterson

mwpeterson MDL Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I had a similar experience. On two machines I uninstalled v11 and installed v12 no problem. On the third v12 installed and wouldn't start. So I uninstalled and tried installing again and it failed with an error and each subsequent time I tried to install. I did a search for the error code and media center and found instructions that I found to help me and I successfully installed v12. I posted a link to those instructions, but I think they would only help if you had my specific error as some others tried it without success. They had success doing a Windows reset.

16. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #3996 crash2009, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    As I recall, the fix for that is....a cold boot and a cold beer

uninstall 12 with the 12 uninstaller
    uninstall 11 with the 11 uninstaller
    uninstall any other versions you tried out with their respective uninstallers
    shutdown...unplug...release residual power...(Cold Boot)

Startup and go for a...(Cold Beer)

Come back an hour later, and install 12.

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Thanks.

I feel dumb but I've even it installed on one of my machines. :eek:

Simply I never realized that it was able to manage the resources of .net things

18. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    A cold beer normally resolves everything but, not sure in this case :(

I still have from v3 on my hard drive, so I went ONE BY ONE and clicked Uninstall on every one.... and installed v12 3 times and uninstalled it. No change sad to say. Running v11, got my "shared" cablecard setup on it with no issues right now :-\

I know there was some random issues that people had but, I tried a bunch of them from this thread and no love :(

19. Gareth North

Jan 27, 2016
    In case Meluvalli Or Graznok's around.

I enabled Graznok's RDP patch again successfully last night. When i RDP to my main desktop i can watch TV. It's also pretty weird seeing my main desktop behave as a server and the laptop I'm connecting from not take over the existing console session and instead get a new one.

On trying an extender to connect got it going as far as saying 'connecting' with the white dots along the bottom flashing along but then crashed there in mid connect. I also had some weird graphics anomoly on my desktop where my desktop backgroun image half way through changed to a repeated pattern of blue squares like there was some graphics card issue.

So i quickly dumped the Acronis image i had of everything so far working minus the RDP patch back on as the Mrs was back wanting to watch all her soaps!

Everything TV wise, Recorded TV, the guide etc is working fine. I've installed Emby and tried playing a simple MKV as I've heard Windows 10 has some more default Codecs than 8 but it failed to play. So looks like i need to install Shark's Advanced Codec Pack and Tick the box for extenders in it. If that all works out then I'll finally be back to normal.

Then i need to work out what upate to avoid that kills it and how to use the Microsoft tool which allows you to avoid certain updates.

Would be great if people could get Ceton Echo and Linksys Extenders to work though.

Best Regards

20. TOFnow

TOFnow MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2015
    As usual, been there done that, gittin drunk....:roflmao: