[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. BobSCA

BobSCA MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2015
    You must uncheck "Download with Secured Download manager" before clicking Download.

2. permutations

permutations MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2016
    You know, I'm not an idiot. I made my living as a computer journalist for many years. I've even met Bill Gates (woo hoo).

You guys can't even post a link to download v8, and you blame me for that? Come on.

I use a decent browser. It's called Chrome.

Please stop with the insults. I'm a programmer, a computer journalist, and technically competent. If you have a working link to v8, please post it.

3. jgmack

jgmack MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2015
    I have it downloaded and will use it if I need to. If WMC was not possible in Win 10, I would have remained with 8.1 I am very grateful to those of you who made it all work.

4. permutations

permutations MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2016
    Is there anyone with a copy of v8 who I can arrange with to send it to me safely? I don't want a virus on this computer.

Thank you.

5. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
  6. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Hahahaha....

Chrome is the explorer 6 of our days. A crap collector for people too lazy to look for something decent, (and a privacy nightmare as well).

Sure, and I'm a "A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist"... :D:p

Come on!!! A computer journalist that has never heard about a file locker or an adblocker ? :g:

7. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Come on. It is the best out there, and I have tried all of them. Once Edge has usable extensions I might go with that, but so far as ease-of-use, and quickness, Chrome has them all beat. Whether or not it is a privacy nightmare or not, I will leave for others to discuss, as I have had absolutely no issues in that regard.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Hahaha. Chrome is good for flocks, just like Ie6 was 10 years ago.

It has a decent engine, which indeed is used by good browsers like Vivaldi, Opera, Maxhton, Iron...

But a decent engine, if coupled to an ugly UI, with no options, and with idiotic defaults (like not asking before downloading something), is worthless.

Add to it all the google spyware which has inside and you are a clear picture about how good it is.

If you have not enough fantasy or skill to use Vivaldi or Opera, at least download Chromium, not Chrome​. It has waaay less crap inside.

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I am happy with Chrome just the way it is, and if it asked whether or not I wanted to download something I already wanted to download, I would disable it! As for the so called spyware, as I have said before I don't have any issues with that. One thing I will note is that I do not believe it has any. But, I am very certain a member of the Flat Earth Society would have a different opinion on that. :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Some people are happy to eat the first random sausage or hamburger they find, some cares about good cuisine and about the ingredients inside the dishes.

You belong to the former group, I belong to the latter. Simple as that.;)

11. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    #4191 WIKIMACK, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Hi

Edge extensions can but it works very well.
    It improves more and more and it seems that very soon he will be able to use Google addons or Fire fox.

Passwords are very well organized.

WMC WORKS a charm vhith the patch MDL.

WIKI;)

12. permutations

permutations MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2016
    You people are abusive and unpleasant. Bye.

13. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Thanks for sharing! :D

14. permutations

permutations MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2016
    Actually, re-reading, it's T-S who has the personality disorder. He colors everything, but he's the only one who's outright abusive.

So apologies to those who've done nothing.

15. permutations

permutations MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2016
    Information for Truth Seekers who aren't jerks:

I haven't gotten EPG Collector to work yet, but I have reason to believe it won't be a solution for me - especially since I'm in the US. The data from this source is very thin in the US, and also it doesn't go out very far.

It appears that the only way to get good guide data is to pay for it.

16. The Stranger

The Stranger MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2016
    Hi All

Yesterday I upgraded my media center PC to Win10 (64 bit)(upgrade first, then got key and did clean install) and used the v12.7 of the media center installation files I found here. It did not successfully install on first two attempts, but did on the third. The program guide updated...but I've seen two issues so far.

The first is that 2 of 3 scheduled recordings didn't work...it looks like the file started, but did not record fully.

The second issue is that on the one program that did record successfully, during playback my computer froze and needed a reboot.

I apologize if these topics have been covered earlier in the thread already...but would appreciate any help if folks have seen the same things and found a fix.

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

No, I'm not. But even if I was, Is better to be unpleasant than lazy and ignorant ;)

18. JohnDay

JohnDay MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2016
    Dear folks,
    I am from Sweden and tried to install version 12 today. I followed all good instructions that was included along the file.
    I got an error message regarding Dism problems, that refer to some log file. Installation did stop by itself without anything installed.

I am going abroad in a few days, so I wonder if anyone have a clue?

I have used Windows Media Center since start, and I love it, most due to its wonderful EPG.
    And when WMC was removed from Windows 10, I was looking for something like that you have done.
    But I have not that skills to go to deep into fixing the errors myself.
    Maby you have some clues.

I have Windows 10, upgraded from Win 7 Pro, Swedish version. Windows 10 by itself are working OK.

Kindest

19. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I have tried everything, but never have been able to get v12 to install except on a clean install of Windows. I use v10 when I upgrade.

20. dejong12

dejong12 MDL Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Download V8, use that uninstaller, reboot, do "sfc /scannow" in cmd and V12 should install successfully.