[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. benking

benking MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2016
    Hi all,

I just wanted to thank you all for the hard work that has been put into enabling this to work with Windows 10. Seems to be running really well. Had a bit of fun trying to get this working with the xbox, but everything is working really nicely now so back to where I was with 8.1, but running Windows 10. Exciting times!

2. benking

benking MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2016
    #4282 benking, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    I have found one issue with my install :(

It works absolutely fine on the actual computer, however on the extender it will run live TV for about 10 minutes, then it crashes triggering an error in event viewer stating:
    The Media Center Extender session was terminated because an unauthorized window opened in the session.

Any ideas?

3. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    I thought there was a step in the Xbox instructions that mentions some way to adjust the unauthorized file explorer window. As I recall, it had something to do with NtRights.

4. Dirkbg

Dirkbg MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2015
    Has anyone had a problem with the recent ATI Radeon Crimson drivers and WMP? Everything was working fine for me with v. 16.2.1, but v. 16.3.1 and now v. 16.4.1 won't play protected content. I have dual 290x cards and triple monitors. One monitor won't play anything, and the other two only play unprotected content. Two are using DVI and the other an HDMI to DVI adapter cable. the one not playing at all is all DVI. I'm using Win 10 and WMP v.12. I was on v.10 previously and it had the same issue. I guess I'm rolling back to 16.2.1 again, but this is a problem going forward.

5. benking

benking MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2016
    Thanks for that. This is all that I could find relating to the ntrights, which I definitely did.

6. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #4286 crash2009, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

Attached Files:

7. benking

benking MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2016
    Thanks for that. I've checked to confirm that the steps were absolutely followed and I have also confirmed that the ntrights file was placed in the correct location. The install.bat file also has the correct added code at line 79 & 80 as per the screenshot. I've also had a look and the effective permissions for explorer.exe for the "Performance Monitor Users" is all set to deny from what it would seem... That being said, it is explorer.exe that is causing the issue. There is a warning (code 109) at the same time as the error stating: An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center with file name 'C:\Windows\explorer.exe', could not retrieve the window title.

I've attached a screenshot of the permissions and Windows is version 1511 (OS Build 10586.104)

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

8. meluvalli

meluvalli MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2013
    #4288 meluvalli, Apr 10, 2016
    Only thing I can think to check from there is to make sure your Mcx User is part of the group "Performance Monitor Users". Easiest way to test this is from a command window and run the below command: (Make sure you include quotes)

Code:
    net localgroup "Performance Monitor Users"

9. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #4289 crash2009, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    The only "other" thing I can think of is your OS Build is 10586.104 I had to remove a few Windows updates to get back to 10586.0

I just thought of one other thing.....compare the code (dot for dot) from install.bat to the code written in the original Meluvalli instructions. Maybe a space or a slash went missing between the day the code was written to the day you placed the new install.bat in the WMC folder.

10. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    On the RDP patch, has anyone found a way to get WMC to run FULL SCREEN in a RDP session ? I am so close to giving 10 a shot on my HTPC now that Extenders work and RDP gives a options but, with out full screen, it does not work pretty well over a remote session, at least for me.

11. ImCoKeMaN

ImCoKeMaN MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    mine seems to work with the .104 and I didn't get any updates after the ISO install. so this base version may be ok. but if it had updates to get to this version that could still be the issue.

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #4292 T-S, Apr 11, 2016
    If you read the forum you know I've find three ways to have the full screen remotely

#1 Use NX instead of RDP

#2 Use Remote FX instead of plain RDP

#3 Use the RDP with a fake full screen: Create a link to launch WMC w/o the decorations (/nochrome switch), then set the size and position of the window exactly where it should be to fill the screen.

Obviously you cant do it with the mouse because the lack of decorations. So do it with a registry setting (obviously replace the values with the ones that fits your screen)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    Code:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings]
    "top"=dword:0000001e
    "left"=dword:00000000
    "width"=dword:00000317
    "height"=dword:000001bc

13. benking

benking MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2016
    #4293 benking, Apr 11, 2016
    Had a look and it is definitely in the usergroup. That made me think though, what if I checked the permissions of the user group, and then the permissions of the actual user. It seems the user group is denied access to explorer.exe, however the actual user (mcx1) has access... I've tried removing the user from the group, and re adding and still no change. Would the normally be the case would you think?

14. benking

benking MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2016
    #4294 benking, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Ok managed to fix this by changing the explorer.exe owner to the "Administrators" group and then that enabled me to apply permissions directly to the user group to deny access to explorer.exe - not the best way to do this but it has worked... would love to find a way to make the group permissions apply correctly though but hopefully this helps if anyone else has this issue. If this is a bad idea and can break stuff please mention it...

While I was playing around, I decided to install Remote Potato and it worked seamlessly. Absolutely no dramas at all after installing the Windows 8.1 update pack. Allows streaming of recorded tv, videos, music and the like to a lot of devices simply through their IOS, Windows Mobile and Android applications or a web browser. :)

15. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    I would like to try that...

Could you share the method?

16. meluvalli

meluvalli MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2013
    #4296 meluvalli, Apr 12, 2016
    I am not following. So you took ownership of Explorer.exe, then denied access to group "Performance Monitor Users" on explorer.exe and that fixed the problem?

I thought you had checked the group and it was already denied? What changed?

Running as SYSTEM user:
    Code:
    icacls C:\Windows\explorer.exe /deny "Performance Monitor Users":F

should have denied "Performance Monitor Users" already as SYSTEM user had access to modify the permissions originally.

I have redone several machines through Hyper-V and ran my scripts without problems. I have modified the scripts to auto-run these commands as per my direction....

To answer that question, DENY permissions supersede GRANT permissions. So, yes. It's normal for the "user" to have access, but the group to be denied. As long as member is part of that group, the DENY permission would override the GRANT permission.

17. benking

benking MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2016
    In the effective privileges, previously the user group was showing correctly. When I checked the actual user however, it was allowing access. So the script was applying but for some reason wasn't actually working on this computer. No idea why, very strange either way. So essentially I navigated to c:\windows, right clicked explorer.exe, navigated to security and then changed ownership from Trusted Users to Administrators. After doing this I could add groups or users to the permissions. Added Performance Monitor Users and denied full access and everything has worked absolutely perfectly since.

18. benking

benking MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2016
    Also now both the user and the group shows deny for all permissions to explorer.exe.

Weird hey.

19. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    My lack of understanding is confusing me.

Can the "user" be part of "two groups"? GRANTED in group1, DENIED in group2.

20. Tree 5

Tree 5 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015