[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Pistolero

Pistolero MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2008
    Deploying via Startup or Shutdown script in Group Policy?

Hi all,

Has anyone tried deploying WMC to Windows 10 via GPO script (startup or shutdown)? Or, installing under the SYSTEM account?

2. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    What are you trying to do ? You could always change the "shell" to start WMC instead of Explorer ?

Are you looking to start WMC when the computer starts ? What is your end goal here?

Been trying to get WMC to start with the PC from Windows 7 days, If I change the shell, it just hangs as the WMC services start, Making WMC startup a service, it hangs when starting.

Only problem with changing the shell, is all drivers dont always run, My Ceton tuner never fullly starts up when I do that, so no tuners :(

3. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #4304 DavidinCT, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I used Teamviewer for a while and that gave questionable results (never mind gave problems with protected content). WMC always runs smoother (playing video) at full screen, Setting a custom res for RDP, does not truly solve the issue and it would cause a problem for the direct user on the HTPC console.

Dam, I was hoping for full screen with WMC over a RDP session. Connect to the PC with WMC running and use as an extender....oh, well..

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I think is best to try than to guess.

NX has nothing to do with teamviewer. It works entirely locally w/o any privacy concern, and frankly it works better with the fake window rather than the full screen. Then I think the mileage varies depending the video drivers, the bandwidth and so on.

One think that nx does is that, unlike VNC or teamviewer it adapts the resolution on both sides.

So you can have the WMC running at say 800x450 and render it at 1920x1080. Loosing some quality but having the video absolutely silky even over a wifi connection.

While I understand your desire, personally I prefer to have WMC everywhere rather tha on a single device. Smartphones, tablets, linux machines, thin clients and so on.

And all the three method I wrote are fitting that need. Each one with some strength and some weakness, as it's normal on everything on this life.

5. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    What I wanted was a little of everything, everywhere. If I can get them running fill screen (if I can setup one profile to a custom res it might work), I was thinking about using a raspberry pi with a RDP app, to start the connection on startup, kick off RDP on startup.... a $40 Extender that can play everything (360's have a problem wth high bit rate MKV files).

I have RDP clients for my Windows Phone AND my Android phone (that I swap between every few weeks).... and I can port 3389 out my firewall, so I could access it on my phone with out any extra configuration.

I hear ya, I know you designed it to meet YOUR need, and no problems, I was wondering if anyone else played with it and got it working...

6. vsevel

vsevel MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2016
    hello,
    I have been trying to run WMC on windows 10 but I have some issues with the HD channels.
    I have installed WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12.7z, and I am using a WinTV-HVR-2205 card with DVB-T/T2.
    I find all channels that I want, but only those in MPEG-2 seems to work properly. when I switch to H264 HD channels, WMC crashes after a few seconds.
    the eventvwr shows that msmpeg2adec.dll is causing this behavior.
    I renamed the dll to disable it, and of course I cannot play any of the channels.
    so it seems that msmpeg2adec.dll is working properly, at least for the MPEG-2 channels, but WMC does not detect that the HD channels should be played with a different codec, such as the ArcSoft Video Decoder that came with the card, and is configured by default in WinTV v8 for H264.
    How do I tell WMC to use a different decoder for the H264 channels?
    thanks,
    vince

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Just install the LAV filters and uninstall the metro DVD player.

8. Pistolero

Pistolero MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I mean to actually install WMC on multiple Windows 10 clients via GPO. I use EmBy, so I just put a startup item to it and it runs full screen beautifully upon startup.

9. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
  10. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
  11. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    DavidinCT, what if you start it with a batch file from the startup folder?
    sleep /t 10
    ehshell /bla bla bla

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Starting it as shell works.

If a definite driver has problems one can ser the dependencies on services, to make them starting in the right order and set some of them as delayed start. So I think Davids's problem should be pretty easy to solve.

13. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
  14. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #4316 DavidinCT, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    It does work but, it causes problems with Ceton drivers AND with 3rd party Windows apps. I did play with services at one point and I did get it to work but, had problems with 3rd party apps (I use a lot of addons), it also breaks some codecs, so HD audio movies in my Movie library will not give me TrueHD or DTS-HD audio. This is a major deal.

Only real work-around for this causes another issue. If you set ehshell as the shell (registry setting), you cant run the Explorer shell till you change it back. I need to run the Explorer shell to run 3rd party apps.

What I was going to try.... Change the shell to start up WMC...

A timed script (Using task schedule to kick off 5 seconds after logon) going in and doing the following..
    1. Change the registry to use explorer.exe for the shell. (using Reg Add command)
    2. Start Explorer (after WMC is loaded and set to ON TOP)
    3. Change the key back to ehshell for next reboot.

This SHOULD start WMC as the Shell, and after started up, the Windows shell kicks off in the background with out you knowing, allowing all apps to run.

This was one of my thoughs one night when I was having a hard time sleeping.... Man, I am a geek

I have to try it when I get the free time...

My END GOAL was to make WMC like an appliance, Never see the start menu, or any windows features SHOWING..

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #4319 T-S, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016

I assumed you changed the shell system-wide in your previous tests

Sure this kind of experiments are time consuming, but when the variables are too much, experimentation is the only thing that can help.

16. Axehandler

Axehandler MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2016
    I know I'm new.. But.

Just thought I would let you know I've been able to install Media Center V12 AND with all the work from the various members - abbodi, Crash, Graznok, Meluvalli, Gareth - and more.
    I want to say thank you!! After reading the last 300 pages of info I've been able to get both my 360 extenders working. :clap:

3 things...

1st ) when I tried to add the extender I would get an error - click next and redid the 8 digit xbox code and it would work the 2nd time. Happened on both xboxes.

2nd ) I'm using a ceton Cablecard system, and the DRM appears to be passing correctly - Currently watching "Edge of tomorrow" on Cinemax right now :)

3rd ) for Some odd reason.. when I disconnect the xbox from the MCE. sometimes the 2 just ignore each other... :(

I did miss removing (KB3116278)(KB3140741) - appears unremovable now :(

I'm continuing to try various things, But that 3rd thing is annoying. any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!!
    Again Awesome job

Axehandler