[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    I've got v12 working all good on a win10 PC but the recording of channels doesn't work properly, I've got a single satellite tuner and if i'm watching something and have a scheduled recording its meant to come up asking to change channels and then change and record, instead it thinks its recording it without changing channels and records the current playing channel... any ideas?

2. scrambler3

scrambler3 MDL Junior Member

May 22, 2016
    When you run the Media Center TV signal setup, does it recognize your single tuner properly?

3. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    sure does, no problems at all, setup the channels and did it all.. worked fine, it seems to think i have more than 1 tuner though

4. scrambler3

May 22, 2016
    What tuner are you using?
    Was it behaving normally on W7 WMC?

5. Dragonwyntir

Dragonwyntir MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2016
    Sorry to disappear everyone. I was able to completely reimage my HTPC with a fresh install of Win10. Before letting any updates install, I installed the HDHomerun Prime drivers (had to install the non-beta DVR ones first, then upgrade - wouldn't run the HDHR service otherwise), and then immediately installed v12 from here. Everything works! DRM, guide data, the whole 9 yards, all without any other hackery.

I thought I was out of hot water...

It seems that, since the initial guide download, I'm not getting any additional guide data. I'm capped off at June 8th, and even forcing a manual guide download won't pull new listings in successfully. I see some errors in the Event Viewer around NetTV, but I am sure that I was getting those from time to time in Windows 8.1 and 7 before it (particularly after they started turning down all the IP-based services in WMC over time like the Sports section and such). Not sure where to go from here - any suggestions?

6. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    yes, it was working perfect with win7 and with win8.1, its a hauppauge nova dvb-s

7. scrambler3

May 22, 2016
    I am seeing the nettv error too, but it was also there in Windows 7 and from what I read it relates to an obsolete item.

If you go to the event viewer and look under Applications & Services > Media Center, you will be able to pull a detailed report of the last update, so you can see if something else is not updating (apart from nettv).

Another thing you can try is to go to the task scheduler, under Task scheduler library > Microsoft > Windows > Media Center, there is a task called ObjectStoreRecoveryTask that you can run to reset things. You will not loose your recording programming, but you will loose what has already been recorded, so past shows may rerecord in the future

8. scrambler3

May 22, 2016
    If you were using it successfully with 8.1, the drivers should be good for W10.
    I am not sure the issue is bad enough to justify trying the MediaCenterRecoveryTask from the task scheduler. You would need to redo the whole setup after that.

9. jmsnyc

jmsnyc MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2015
    #4749 jmsnyc, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    FWIW, my guide is also up to 6/8. I just did a manual update - it goes to 6/9 like 5am.

I notice the same nettv error - packages invalid

I don't think I ever had more than 8 days so of guide listings. I will check in a day or two to see if it pulls more.

Update: after a few hours of manual update I am out to June 12

10. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    What upgrade path did you take with this Win10 box?

7-10? 8.1-10 etc.

Are windows updates enabled? Winver?

11. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
  12. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    One other thing that creates similar symptoms is...

Some of us use the Silicon Dust Tuners (HDHR). When we install the HDHR driver, there is a section of the install where we can specify the DVR (BDA Section). I am not familiar with your tuner, so, not sure if yours has a BDA Section, I would assume it does, I don't know what it is named.

So, this suggestion would be... If you can, Specify WMC during the install of the tuner driver.

13. ThoseEyes

ThoseEyes MDL Novice

May 30, 2016
    WMC on Win10

Last week I updated my Win7 desktop to Win10. I installed WMC without difficulty. But I have a snafu in the setup which I haven't seen addressed anywhere.
    It sees the tuner card, but isn't showing a list of service providers.
    That means no guide data and only the ability to record manually, like with a vcr.
    I can watch live television, and I can watch that which had been previously recorded.
    Does anyone have any thoughts about how to get it to show the list of local providers it used to show?

14. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. ThoseEyes

ThoseEyes MDL Novice

May 30, 2016
    Thanks for the reply Nucleus. There are hundreds of pages with thousands of replies there. I tried to plow my way through it. If someone's addressed that particular issue, I didn't see it, or it was addressed in language that was technical beyond my ability to identify with and comprehend.
    I have seen detailed posts in various places on how to install WMC, I was able to do that. I d/l and installed LAV filters and codecs. I've gone through the initial setup repeatedly, added channels, edited channels.
    But nowhere have I seen anyone say anything about not being offered a provider list as part of the setup. I'm assuming that guide information would be dependant on my designating a provider.
    Additionally I'm very aware that Zap2it has been replaced with Rovi as the source of listings, and that they have been less than desirable. As such I've been checking repeatedly for the last few days to see if it had either d/l spontaneously or if I could force it, no luck.

16. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Guide Problems, are covered in the Readme and/or Workaround.txt file in your WMC install folder.

17. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Another possibility is.... What is the exact number of the WMC.7zip that you downloaded?

18. ThoseEyes

ThoseEyes MDL Novice

May 30, 2016
    #4758 ThoseEyes, Jun 1, 2016
    Now that's a question I can answer... I d/l WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0v2.1.rar
    I got it from lifehacker.com, and that site is how I got here.
    It's also where I got the links for the filters and codecs files.

19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Never download from a random site. That's a very old build, with the not working EPG.

Just go to post 1 here

20. scrambler3

May 22, 2016
    #4760 scrambler3, Jun 1, 2016
    That does not sound like the latest version.

Always source the latest version from this site, the link is on the first post of this thread, and goes to post #3360 of this thread. I cant post the link as I am too new here, but you can also click on the v12 link in the signature of crash2009 just above your post

Depending if you want 64 bit or 32 bit, you use the link called mega in the 64 or 32 bit code box

Make sure you desinstall your version and install that new and latest v12. I also posted my recent process in post #4723 in case you want to have a look

EDIT: Cross posted with above :)