[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Cyber Ghost

Cyber Ghost MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    Hello,
    I was following this thread from the beginning and I'm impressed by the evolution of this project, and I thank all the people who contributed to it. I decided not to upgrade to Windows 10 when I knew that it doesn't include WMC, but thanks to you, I did this step and I upgraded. I use WMC since the 2005 version and I don't imagine Windows without it.
    So I upgraded and downloaded the v12, I first run _TestRights.cmd, then Uninstaller.cmd as I upgraded from Windows 8.1 WMC, then Installer.cmd.
    The install process completed successfully and without errors. Then I placed the ehome folder that I copied previously to ProgramData\Microsoft, and imported the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center" key that I exported prior to upgrading.
    The first Time I launched WMC it didn't find any tuner, I then reinstalled the tuners drivers and the problem is solved.
    Now WMC is running as it should and is downloading the guide data.
    I have also a request, is it possible to patch WMC so that when we are in live TV mode and we push the OK button on the remote or the enter button on the keyboard, it brings up the mini guide, instead of switching to the previously watched channel ?
    And again, thanks to all who contributed to this project.

2. andy_d11

andy_d11 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2013
    It was an upgrade from 8.1

But I just did a clean install and now no matter what I've tried WMC will not find the tuners.

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    It's a wrong approach because the problem is looked from the wrong angle. WMC can't run on W10 V.S WMC can run only on WMC enabled OS

That was the only option, so nothing new, but was plenty of people who tested any virtualization trick just to have WMC on WHS.

Nowadays, aside the usual "home" servers, advantages (easy remote access, great seamless client backups, file deduplication, multiple concurrent RDP session, Remote FX an so on) the latest servers add other advantages even when used as a pure desktop OS: way lighter than W10, no metro crap by default, control over updates, removable defender, less intrusive Cortana and telemetry.

I know, but keep in mind that a lot of people around the world has just a single tuner, and concurrent Live TV is limited just to two or more channels coming from the same mux

Sure. But that, at least is not a my personal need, I f I'm in vacation I look for bears or swordfishes, not for "Starsky & Hutch", and aside the Live TV, music, movies and so on can be accessed in more handy ways than WMC

Also all cellular connections here are behind a NAT and that makes mandatory the use of Teamviewer or alike, over the plain RDP connections

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    You can use Event ghost to customize any local or remote command, but AFAIK there isn't a keyboard shortcut meant to trigger the miniguide.

So I guess you have to do it emulating a mouse input, which is possible with Eventghost but not as quick as using the pre-made WMC commands.

5. Cyber Ghost

Cyber Ghost MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    Hello. thanks for answering.
    To trigger the miniguide just press the UP or DOWN arrow.
    EventGhost is a great software, I use it to control other softwares and to do other tasks, and I have set it up to intercept the Enter keypress of the keyboard and send an Arrow Up keypress to WMC, but once the miniguide is shown, I need to press the Enter button to select the channel, but the button is remapped, so I modified the script to toggle between Enter and Up Arrow, but when I'm in other sections of WMC like Music or Settings, I don't need to remap the enter button, but I can't tell EventGhost to remap the Enter Button only in live TV because there is no way for EventGhost to know in which section WMC is, as the Window name doesn't change and there is no event triggered when I'm in live TV mode.
    So as you can see, it's difficult to implement this solution, and as a result, the solution isn't reliable. So I think the best way to do that is to patch WMC.

6. usmalu

usmalu MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2014
    After installing WMC and watching for more than an hour, a Ms update wiped out the WMC from the programs. When searched for the app it showed it's installed , but didnt open WMC. So I had to reinstall the v12 again to watch. Just thought to put out there.

Happy Father's Day :clap:

7. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #5027 crash2009, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    answers.....

1) Yours might be one of the cases where WMC needs to be more thoroughly removed prior to upgrading to Win10.
    Win7 and possibly Win8 also use MSversion 6.1.7601.***
    Win8.1 and Win10 use MSversion 6.3.9600.***
    It is suspected, that sometimes, one-two or more of the scheduled tasks from Win8.1 migrate to Win10 causing unpredictable problems.

2) clean install of what?

I am not quite sure how to untangle this one.

8. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Thanks for the reminder!

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Yes, obviously is not a good idea to remap a a key that does different things in different UI settings, but for example EG is perfect to remap the space key that everywhere does pause/play, but in WMC switches to the previous channel.

Patching the dll would be better for your specifical request. But with EG you can still do things that hardly could be implemented by a patch.

For example I have a single key/remote button that toggles all the four zoom modes. That would be not possible by a patch, at least not a simple one.

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Today I learned that you manged to have even a not standard date for the father's day.

Damn! It's 19/03 :p

11. jmsnyc

jmsnyc MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Does anyone know a WMC add in to download subtitles from various services for videos like Kodi has ?

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers here!

12. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #5033 crash2009, Jun 19, 2016
    Subtitle and Language settings

I think you might be able to enable subtitles in Settings/TV/ClosedCaptioning

I think you can change the language of audio and subtitles in Settings/TV/Language

Attached Files:

13. jmsnyc

jmsnyc MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2015
    #5034 jmsnyc, Jun 19, 2016
    Thanks. That enables it if you already have the subtitle files or if it is built in. In Kodi, you select a few providers (websites) and then you click a button and it automatically downloads them from the internet. Official tv shows and movies have captions integrated but this is for tv/movies that one downloads from peer to peer or something similar. Not that I condone p2p :cool:

Crash - how is the Netflix add in working? The last one I tried worked but you couldn't switch users and eventually it just seemed like it was opening the windows app. Now I just switch tv source to my Amazon Fire and use Netflix through there.

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    You need the shark007 package, it has the pieces needed to enable the subtitles in WMC

15. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #5036 crash2009, Jun 19, 2016
    Netflix app worked fine during my free month. The content is too old to continue my subscription. Kodi/Ares/Pulse has my preferred content and the price is better also.

Subtitles get a little complicated at times.....audio in English, Subtitle in French, with the actors speaking Dothraki or Klingon.

Amazing...there is an English to Dothraki translator.

16. jmsnyc

jmsnyc MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2015

Yes. I have Shark already. The key to getting external subtitles to work for mp4 was to disable MS Video Codecs under swap tab in the settings app. There is a msg that it will affect live tv but it hasnt Never sure if it is necessary to do this in both 32 or 64 bit settings app.

What I was really hoping for was a seamless way to download the subtitle files like in Kodi. Figured there might have been a WMC Plugin that existed. I could just download them in Kodi or from browser but I prefer just one app, and I greatly prefer the WMC player vs the Kodi player.

17. andy_d11

andy_d11 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2013
    I meant a clean install of Windows 10. I thought starting from scratch would take care of the system locking up but if anything it made things worse since I can't get WMC to recognize the tuners. The Windows View app has no issues though

18. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #5039 crash2009, Jun 19, 2016
    try the instructions in post 5001

Type winver into cortana. What version of 10 are you running?

19. andy_d11

andy_d11 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2013
    #5040 andy_d11, Jun 19, 2016
    Did you mean 501?

Version is the latest non Insider - 1511

Could this be due to HDHomerun and their latest drivers? I don't see "HDHomeRun Service" listed even though the View app works.

I see only "HDHomerun Record" which is not started but that's likely because I don't have this PC set up for recording.

UPDATE - This does seem to be due to removal by Silicon Dust. On all my Win 10 pcs the service is not there. On my HTPC that is still Windows 8.1, the service is there