[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Soapdishbandit

Soapdishbandit MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2016
    The minimize/maximize trick has been around since Windows 7. This happens to me when I have both of my monitors on.

Also, when I used to have a non-hdcp dvi monitor (Dell 20" 2005), this same behavior would happen and the only fix would be to maximize or minimize. This, however, would not work on premium/DRM content. So, it must be a DRM issue.

2. mwpeterson

mwpeterson MDL Member

Sep 7, 2015
    So as I've previously discovered it looks like missing msdri.dll from the system32 of the insider builds plays a part. Without it, I can't detect tuner and I get no error reports. If I put msdri.dll from 10586 into system32, I get errors in Event Viewer showing a crash of ehrecvr.exe with faulting module ntdll.dll. I suppose this could be caused by the msdri.dll being incompatible.

If I compare the error report with one from a working 10586 system I have three files missing that were loaded modules with ehrecvr.exe.

msdri.dll
    MCEWMDRMNDBootstrap.DLL
    drmv2clt.dll

That is as far as I get, which admittedly is not very far.

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Possibly you have to fix the network service thing. Something that was required for V8. I didn't touch that. So...

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    You can do that, after not only before.

Doing it before is easier because you don't have to fight with permissions.

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #5345 T-S, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

You can try this:

Install W10 10586 N version

Install Total Uninstall and make it monitor for new installations

Install the Media feature package for W10 N

Use Total uninstall to make a package and a registry file of the new features added

Install a 14xxx build, possibly an N version as well

Install Total uninstall and restore the package grabbed earlier.

I did use that technique to have the multimedia features on Server 2012 R2 w/o the Essentials role and the related media feature pack. And it worked.

6. poster72

poster72 MDL Novice

Jun 21, 2016
    #5346 poster72, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    not two monitors, just the built in display on the laptop. maybe it just isn't compliant? i read up on it and it seems microsoft had an "easy fix" for win7, but nothing for win10 that i can see. as the next guy said, the min/maximize trick has been around, i really just spaced that. im fine with this as a fix for when i need it, but knowing me i'll keep trying. can't leave well enough alone if it isn't perfect
    there are still some channels like Starz that won't work no matter what. thanks again all, who do i donate to??

i have to read up on the build i guess, does it get upgraded through win updates? way to stop?

7. mwpeterson

mwpeterson MDL Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I'll give it a shot. Is there an N edition available with the insider updates?
    And does the 8.5 installer include the May security update?

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

That's a good question. I think that a person using W10 N on the fast ring receives the updates just like other users. What I don't know is if that ESD was shared. Try to look at the dedicated threads.

No. But given how the package works, you can just replace the relevant file before installing it. Obviously unless that file is one of the patched ones.

9. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    I just downloaded and installed "LAVFilters-0.67-Installer.exe" 0.67 was the most recent at the time.

10. maxrobz

maxrobz MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2016
    Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck with Linksys extenders?

Cheers,
    Max

11. TOFnow

TOFnow MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2015
    That is better than my effort so far, thanks. I've compared, rather tried to, Reg entries between 10586 and 14379 but without the tuner being recognized, large parts are missing and tryin to "graft" missing parts to 14379 is not fruitful, i.e., nothing changes.

12. poster72

poster72 MDL Novice

Jun 21, 2016
    i downloaded the lav zip, and in there are 3 installer_*.bat's. and in the instructions it says to run all 3. but i don't think that has anything to do with my issue. I believe you are right about the laptop/built in monitor possibly edisplay port or whatever. min/maximize is a fine fix...beats running dca each time. I'm happy, and i don't think it is fixable anyway. You guys rock!

13. poster72

poster72 MDL Novice

Jun 21, 2016
    yes, i see there is a link to the installer.exe, but there are also links to the zip. i grabbed the zip and it doesn't have installer.exe, you have to install 3 .bat files. all good, sorry to confuse.

14. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    The Linksys Extender is a 3rd party Extender, just like the Ceton Echo. They stopped working in 8.1. There is a thread over at TheGreenButton.tv about them but, so far only 360's work as extenders. No 3rd party ones yet but, I hope there is progress on these, that would be nice (I have a Linksys one too, that collects dust)

Another interesting thing...They Did get RDP working with live and recorded TV... if it could be perfected a little, a cheap Raspberry PI (under $40) could do RDP and it could make a very cool, cheap and powerful extender...

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I don't have any Rec TV problem here. I never had.

Well, an used android phone like a Droid 4, a Photon Q, a Photon 4G are even cheaper choices (got my D4, in perfect codtition, for 11$ from the US), it comes with a great keyboard, the HDMI output and there is even the notebook like docking station available.

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I'm using the iScsi disks since WHS 2011 and it works pretty reliably, but I'm not using an external nas, I'm using a server running inside Hyper-V and using the HDDs in passtrough mode.

Why? Mainly because this way I can use WHS and the deduplication, whic is completely absent there (or server 2012 R2 with the w10 deduplication flavour)

But there are other alternatives, one is "ftpuse", the other is drive bender (which is mainly a drivepool competitor, but additionally can mount a SMB share as a local disc), and that list is not exhaustive.