[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. WGMaker

WGMaker MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2016
    I uninstalled the V2 version , installed V12, ran the recovery task. All in W10 build 14385. It simply didn't work!! If I start the Media center, nothing happens. Then , this morning build 14388 was offered to install. So I decided to uninstall V12 first and then install build 14388. Then install V12 again, same thing, didn't work, ran recovery task, didn't change a thing.

Now what?? (It worked in build 14383 !!)

2. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Yea, sort of. If your doing video that is copy protected with playready (as we deal with cablecards over in the US), odds are very high that there WILL be problems with Windows Media Center but, ONLY on some content.

I do have a few movies in h265 and for the record, they do play back fine in WIndows Media Center. I was just referring to if broadcast goes to 4K. I work in TV, trust me, 4K in the US for broadcast is still like 10 years out. WMC wont even be an option any more, and personally I hope there is much better option for protected content in HTPC software by then

WMC in Windows 7 could be tricky but, if you had hardware that WAS on the Windows Media Center approved hardware list, it was very easy to get setup. Even most NooBs could get it working with very little trouble.

It was only a PROBLEM if you ran into a problem. And for someone who supported WMC back in the active "7" days, I would say 2 out of 10 had a major issue Most others were fine.

But, VISTA WMC and XP MCE 2005....different story....and we wonder why MCE 2005 was OEM only ? :)

3. Sideburnz

Sideburnz MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2016
    Sorry, but I am completely stuck on this one issue I only have Windows 10 Home Edition. I have searched for days trying to find a walkthrough or something to guide me though using command prompt to add "NETWORK SERVICE." I would greatly appreciate anybody's assistance with this issue:

Add NETWORK service to the administrators group in order for scheduled recordings to start correctly.

To make WMC wake up for recordings, you may need to make "NETWORK SERVICE" a member of the administrator group

Run lusrmgr.msc, or right-click on Start button and select: Computer Management > Local users & Groups
    then: Groups > Administrators > Add > "network service" > Check names > OK

or directly open command prompt as administrator:
    for /f "usebackq delims=" %x in (`powershell "(New-Object System.Security.Principal.SecurityIdentifier('S-1-5-32-544')).Translate([System.Security.Principal.NTAccount]).Value.Split([IO.Path]::DirectorySeparatorChar)[1]"`) do set "admins=%x"
    for /f "usebackq delims=" %x in (`powershell "(New-Object System.Security.Principal.SecurityIdentifier('S-1-5-20')).Translate([System.Security.Principal.NTAccount]).Value"`) do set "netsvc=%x"
    net localgroup %admins% "%netsvc%" /add

Windows 10 Home edition don't have Group Policy, thus you need to try the command prompt directly.

4. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Copy and paste the command from post 1779 into an elevated command prompt

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

When MS cloned Showshifter, the former needed 5 minutes to setup it, no matter if one had a cheap analogue card or an expensive one with the HW mpeg encoder, MCE came with an endless list of requirements starting from the (new and buggy at the time) bda drivers, to hw encoding cards, to DX9 cards and so on.

The first time I tried to setup XP MCE I spent literally days to get it working, and was just for fun, given Showshifter worked very well with no hassle.

On W7 everything was smoother. And most of that smoothness come from the arrival of DVB-T/DVB-S/DVB-C and later from the (incompatible, as usual) American standards ATSC and Cable Cards.

Practically was the hill that come to Muhammad more than viceversa

6. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Agreed 100% for here in the US. My general thing on setting up a WMC 7 machine, Install a tuner, make sure Windows sees it find with a known good driver. Connect service to the tuner (OTA or cable in my case), run WMC setup. As long as it was an approved tuner (tested), get it fully installed in Windows, WMC will be an easy setup.

The problem is when the tons of "NOT- APPROVED"/Not Microsoft tested tuners were on the market, People TRIED to make them work, or even worse, mixing them with other Approved tuners. This resulted in TONS OF PROBLEMS, most worked but, this is where the big problems came in.

No question, Windows 7 Media Center was smoothest and still is the BEST Windows Media Center ever and it works the best on that OS. Windows 8.1 was sort of hacked in by Microsoft as an after thought. Windows 7 was designed with WMC in mind...

I still love the little hacks for WMC on 10... so the best of all of them. I am still deciding on keeping my HTPC on 7... as it just works perfect 99% of time (ROVI is a different story but, anyway)

7. WGMaker

WGMaker MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2016
    Even that didn't help. Now even worse: When I install V12, :
    error 0x800f0922
    Dism failed

Tried reboot and reinstall. Same error again.

Does it help if I attach the logs?

Thanks

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

They are two different problems.

WMC installed correctly but not starting = corrupted settings data.

V12 not installing correctly = DISM problem/uninstall leftovers/ or alike

The former problem is easy to fix, just remove the settings from prograamdata.

The latter can be more hideous.

That's why I tried to evolve the V8, which has surely a more bulletproof install and uninstall process.

The bad news is that, for now, I can't guarantee it works well as V12 for American CC users, and for extender users.

But given the timing of your posts I guess you aren't in the US, so jus install the V8.6 and live long and prosper.

If you are in the US, install the V8.6, if it works just stay with it, If it doesn't, uninstall it do the sfc /scannow thing and then install the V12.

The v8.6 uninstaller should cleanup anyting. Program leftovers and settings.

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Yes but the approved thing is a way to hide a poor design rather than a guarantee for the users.

Practically any other competing SW worked (and works) with any tuner. Analogue or digital, American or European, bda or old school.

The good old BeOS was even more advanced. A cheap SW based analogue Hauppauge was seen directly on the control panel, no additional drivers required.

And was able to grab and convert the analogue video (an huge computational work), with no frames lost, using a 486 DX 100Mhz. Something that windows was able to attain only 6/7 years later with a PIII or Athlon class machine running at 2GHz or so.

With the advent of the digital TV everything become easy. The TVcard + PC has practically "nothing to do". The video stream is "precooked"

Hence the WMC in the W7 era became bullet proof or almost bulletproof, but MS had just a minor share of the merit about that.

10. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    To me, it is unbelievable that you would consider dumping Win7\WMC, even during the 1% of the time that you have problems with it.

Have you not heard about the ROVI Fix?

11. mwpeterson

mwpeterson MDL Member

Sep 7, 2015
    v8.6 worked for me at first on DRM channels with a HDHomerun Prime and cablecard, but now I'm getting a system files modified error, just like on v8. So back to v12.

12. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
  13. minnguy42

minnguy42 MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2016
    Thanks you for this thread. I was postponing installing Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 machine, only because I did not want to lose Windows Media Center. My computer had been updated with in-place upgrades from Windows 7 originally. I finally bit the bullet and did it, hoping version 12 would work. Version 12 installed flawlessly and picked up all of the channels from my HDHomeRun wireless tuners. I did not even have to run Setup. All of my recorded video was still there. The only tweek needed was the default recording disk had been changed to C:. I just changed it back to E: and all was right.

14. Tree 5

Tree 5 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    :death:
    I tried this with a windows phone 8.1 and it will play music but no live tv. What am I missing?

15. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
  16. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #5479 crash2009, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Edge Virus

I got angry with Edge a few days ago. Edge sort of locked up due to some Virus/Malaware/Whatever. Renamed...

Code:
    "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe"

"C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe"
    to EdgeOLD.exe and CP_OLD.exe

Installed Vivaldi. Vivaldi has been working fine. Needed to test something in Edge, so I had to get it going again. Found some suggestion out there that told me to go to...

Code:
    C:\Users\<users>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_xxxxxx\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Recovery\Active
    ...and delete the contents of the Active folder, a bunch of Binary Files.

Then go back and rename Edge and EdgeCP to their original name.

Seems to have eliminated my Virus/Malaware complaint.

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Remove that crap using MSMG and use something decent, Vivaldi first