[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    I wonder if it's the drivers, I had a similar issue and had to use the drivers from the manufacturers website, the driver the Windows 10 installer put on there didn't find channels.

2. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    Yep, I saw that post, thanks... It did allow me to delete the folder but oddly after doing so, uninstalling using the uninstall.cmd and then rebooting and then reinstalling using that auto install version, still no go, media center just doesn't start.

3. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN MDL Junior Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Followed the instructions in Post #492 and they worked flawlessly. WMC is installed.

Now onwards to other things.

• For my Ceton turner, I need to run the Digital Cable Adviser. At the very last step, do I Update my settings or not? Under normal circumstances (i.e. when I had Windows 7), I would. Is this a problem, now?
    • My Ceton tuner has an installation download for Windows 7, and a different one for Windows 8/8.1. Which one should I use? I've currently got the download for Windows 8/8.1 installed, I figured it was most like Windows 10, that was my way of thinking.
    • I then ran the Ceton InfiniTV Network Tuners Wizard. THIS step worked just fine, it detected my 6 tuners. I selected 3 of them.
    • When setting up my TV, I get an error message stating that my TV signal cannot be configured because a TV Tuner was not detected. Could this be related to the fact that I installed the Ceton Windows 8/8.1 driver and not the Windows 7 driver?

4. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    nope, thats a puzzle, windows 8 drivers would be fine, the 8 drivers are likely to be the same driver as the 7 driver anyway but perhaps a newer version.

I guess you should remove the drivers and reinstall them and see what happens, its obviously a driver problem, try removing them, rebooting and reinstalling them and give it another go, if that fails try this

Change the Windows Media Center Receiver Service from a specific account name to a Local System account

Run services.msc from pressing Windows key and R
    Scroll down the Services list and find Windows Media Center Receiver service. You might have to widen the Name column by clicking and dragging the right side of the column title.
    Right-click Windows Media Center Receiver Service, and then select Properties
    Click the Log On tab, and then select Local System account
    Click Apply, and then click OK on a Services warning message
    Restart the computer

Then try scan for channels again

5. Aly

Aly MDL Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Installed the hdhomerun_windows_20150826 and it is picking up channels now.
    Previously had hdhomerun_windows_20150615 installed.
    During install, setup had to stop WMC receiver service or something. Maybe that helped. But it's working.

6. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    Awesome, good work!

7. JOSHSKORN

Aug 29, 2015
    What would changing WMCRS from a specific account to a Local System Account do?

I fixed my current problem, it just needed a factory reset on my tuners and a restart on my PC.

Live TV works!

Now I'm stuck on being able to download Program Data, I get NO DATA AVAILABLE all over my GUIDE. Looks like others are having the same problem, I'll examine the thread and see if there's a fix, but if someone can point it out to me, that'd be great.

8. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    This has worked for some in your situation:

The Guide updated after creating shortcut to mcupdate.exe from the \windows\ehome\ with shortcut permissions set to run as admin for all users and putting it on your desktop and running it manually, auto guide updates aren't working at this point as far as I know.

9. JOSHSKORN

Aug 29, 2015
    By adding the shortcut with permissions set to run as admin for all users, you mean this ....??

Or am I missing a step here?

10. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    yep, that is it, by all users I mean if you have differenet users on the machine that use media center.

11. chantszhim

chantszhim MDL Member

Feb 10, 2010
    After successful running Media Center on Windows 10, it's time to collect the MUI files from different languages.

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
  13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    it's a boring work but the MUIs are less than 2M x language, so could be worth to to install them altogether. Not that much space wasted.

14. Paul1965

Paul1965 MDL Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Now I finally see where it hangs downloading the TV Setup Data after I deleted everything in eHome and relaunched MC. That is NOT the issue I was having before.

15. JOSHSKORN

Aug 29, 2015
    OK just checking. THAT didn't work. Thanks for the quick response.

16. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #558 DavidinCT, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    So, I tried a cablecard tuner....no luck :(

This is with a Ceton infinitv 6 PCIe using a shared tuner over a gigabit network. Used this setup before with Windows 7 with no problems.

1. If I tried to run a TV setup for cablecard, It would give me activation problems(gave a invalid key).... So I had to run it as an Admin to get it to activate it (Cablecard KEY activation).

2. No guide data, failed on TV setup and after running through TV setup, I will see all channels with no channel number and "No Data Available", the option for "update guide data now" is not available in settings.

3. TV does not work. The cablecard seemed to activate and install play ready installed as it should but, I get a Service Unavailable when trying to watch Live TV.

4. setting mcupdate to Windows 8 compatibility has no change, no guide data is downloaded.

5. Before doing this test, I mapped a network drive to my dedicated WMC machine, Tried to play back a recorded show, installed the LAV codec and this worked, Tried to play a DRM protected show, it installed playready and said "this can only be played back on the computer it was recorded on" (this is good).

No go so far for Cablecard, anyone else with luck ?

I know guide is a spotty feature right now with this but, I will try again tomorrow...

17. ealvnv

ealvnv MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2014
    #559 ealvnv, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Using a cable card here, well actually 2, but with hdhomerun primes, 3 tuners each, also using a homerun prime hooked directly to the cable line, all tuners work, I can watch live tv just fine, except for copy protected channels.

no dice o guide data, tried every single trick suggested in here.

one thing to note, in the task manager the mceupdate task says that in needs elevation and it will just not run

18. snorkel

snorkel MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2015
    #560 snorkel, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Workaround for no television guide available in Windows Media Center after July 20th 2015

Electronic Program Guide (EPG) data was converted from Zap2It to Rovi. This conversion appears to have been the cause of having no television guide information available in Windows Media Center after July 20th 2015 for several zip codes (at least).

I edited my hosts file, as per guide at following link and have got successful guide updates, without running mcupdate.exe in Windows 8 compatibility mode, with run as admin permissions.

hXXp=http
    Code:
    hXXp://blogs.catapultsystems.com/cfuller/archive/2015/07/22/workaround-for-no-television-guide-available-in-windows-media-center-after-july-20th-2015/