[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #6861 T-S, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016

All of them, maybe?:cool:

P.S. Are you sure you got it correctly? Why you're attaching a screenshot of regedit and not notepad?

You need to edit the exported file using notepad or another text editor, not the registry.

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Safe mode? :cool:

3. khiang

khiang MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2011
    why do people want to run this WMC, there are alot of cool free apps out there, with better facility

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #6864 T-S, Aug 27, 2016
    Why are you posting a random question w/o reading the thread since the beginning?

This thread has almost 2 Millions of contacts, 7000 messages and thousands of downloads, don't you think there is a reason for that?

5. junkjunk876

junkjunk876 MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2007
    #6865 junkjunk876, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2016
    My valuable contribution to the thread:

Download KB30999229_x64.msu *props to T-S*
    Open command prompt
    "mkdir [your temporary directory of choice]"
    "expand KB3099229_x64.msu -F:* [your temporary directory of choice]"
    "cd [your temporary directory of choice]"
    "rar x microsoft-windows-mediafeaturepack-oob-package.cab [your other temporary directory of choice]"
    "cd [your other temporary directory of choice]"
    "notepad wow64_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-drm_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_05085deda384e375.manifest"

Admire the creamy nougat recipe of a modern WMDRM installation.

Maybe I'll play with the registry a bit more this weekend....

6. 300

300 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2016
    Absolutely agree WMC is obsolete, there are beautiful alternatives to.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Just open the MSU and the cab with 7zip to do this, no need to complicate steps.

Anyway, I don't think that the drmpackage enough would be sufficient. Even replacing the 10586 codec with the newer one breaks the chain.

8. 300

300 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2016
    How could you explain this reaction?

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

This is not a reaction, this is a condition.

Start to read from the first post if you want to learn why WMC is the preferred solution for some people (like me) and is the only solution​ for people in the US.

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Perhaps, MS screwed the WMC people since the first W10, but here we are talking about something more, they screwed any user with bought WMDRM contents, which is a bit wider argument.

11. junkjunk876

junkjunk876 MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2007
    Meaning you cannot get the video to play if you replace what package with a 14393 package (or .dll with a 14393 .dll), for example?

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I didn't try whole packages (properly installed with dism) I just tried to replace msmpeg2vcodec.dll.

After that the system blames about the HW change, bla, bla... which is expected, after a drm reset WMP retuns an error about being unable to play that file, just like on any stock 14393.

That was something of expected, given the newer file is definitely smaller than the old one.

Surely MS removed the part needed to manage the WMDRM files, from the codec and other relevant files

That said possibly we can narrow down the packages needed, but this way is simpler and altough the procedure is straight forward I have yet to see a single definitive answer about WMC after the MFP transplant.

Until then would be pointless do spent further energies

13. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #6873 DavidinCT, Aug 27, 2016
    Yep, tried that. Could not get it RDPwrap installed in safe mode (service cant start), rebooted in standard mode, tried to logon, Hangs for about 1/2 hour, then finally logs in. Find a bunch of services hung on startup, and loads of errors. Removed the registry changes and installed RDPwrap. Ran a SFC /SCANNOW with no errors. Rebooted, no change (25-30 min to logon to the computer, in safe mode it's fairly quick). No quick fix for this one, might try a repair of Windows but, it might need to be rebuilt....crap

I guess lesson learned, BACKUP before major tests like this....and I had the backup software installed too....dam !

In the process, followed your directions to a T (accept for 10, sigh), exported the registry settings from a N version, Installed them on a 10 pro machine that is on the newest build. Installed the KB, rebooted, tested WMC. A DRM'ed file just goes to "Cannot play video, files needed to display video are not installed or working correctly".

Trying it in Windows Media Player (WMC's DRM depends on WMP), gives a "A Windows Media Digital Rights Management (DRM) component encounter a problem. Contact Microsoft Product support" I tried the DRM reset tools and the other assorted hacks to "reset Windows DRM" with no change or luck.

And to note, this is with the Audio DRM file that T-S linked to in his first post on this fix.

STILL when running WMC, I still get the No tuner found error.

Anyone have any luck getting T-S's DRM hack working and seeing a Ceton cablecard tuner in WMC ?

Why do people like yourself even find a reason to reply to a thread that you have NO interest in ? This is defined as Trolling.

If you have no interest in a products WE ENJOY using, then do us all a favor and just move on.

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

This seem pretty basic. Use the checkpoints if you are on a WM or use at least the restorepoints

That VIDEO file isn't supposed to work inside the WMC, it does not work on older versions as well.

But it must work on WMP

The audio one will play both on WMP and WMC

If you haven't managed to get the DRM working that test tells nothing.

Anyway did you add and register the msdri.dll file that was discussed few messages back?

15. 23ewsdfer432

23ewsdfer432 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2016
    WMC problem on Windows 10 1607

Is anyone else having a lip-synch problem on WMC after the windows 10 anniversary update?

I'm finding that the audio goes out of synch after about 20-25 minutes on recorded TV programs. The audio is running ahead of the picture for all recorded TV off the tuner.

I can stop the playback and restart and everything is back to normal for another 20-25 minutes.

I have checked the graphics card resolution and it is 1080p 50hz. Sometimes, but not always, when I check the monitor setup in WMC it is not the same. I change it to match the card setup, but it does not make a difference. Stopping and starting the playback is what sets it right for a limited time. Even when the monitor setup is the same as the card, the audio will still go out of synch.

As the computer refresh rate doesn't change, it must be WMC?

I have tried uninstalling and cleaning the disk before reinstalling, but the problem remains.

On top of this, since the anniversary update I can no longer convert *.wtv files into *.dvrms? This is the case on all my installations.

This is making me loose my hair and causing problems in our household.

Any help would be appreciated.

16. GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2015
    My computer is borked. I'm on the Anniversary Edition. "Turn Windows Features On or Off" is blank, and I need it working. I found a website via Google with solutions (can't post links, but it's one of the earlier hits).

There are 2 solutions I can't try: sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. When I looked at the logs, it's because it's finding all the Media Center files in C:\Windows\WinSxS folder that were installed when I tried to install MediaCenter and fails on those. I'm not sure what put those files there, I had tried both the WMC v12 installer and also v8.8.1 by T-S (the latter of which succeeded, the prior failed).

Windows won't let me delete those folders from WinSxS. I could try takeown and manually give myself ability to delete every single file and folder, but looks like there's maybe 316 of them. That would take me years. Is there a quicker and easier way to get rid of those?

17. scrambler3

scrambler3 MDL Junior Member

May 22, 2016
    Did you try the uninstaller that comes with 8.8.1?

18. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Obviously you can't delete the SXS files easily, and that's for a reason.

If your window is really messed up, why not use the most obvious solution? Take the iso, mount it, launch the setup and do an in place upgrade .

It works for everyone since the days of the DOS 1.0, I'm sure it will work for you as well

19. GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2015
    I did. I tried the uninstallers in both versions. Although I think it's the V12 installer that put those files there since it uses the dism method of installing WMC. Apparently, it's unable to properly clean up after itself.

It's only messed up in so far as "Turn Windows Features On or Off" is blank and sfc /scannow and dism don't work to fix it. Other than that, it works properly.
    I really hate in-place upgrade because it takes hours and several things I'd have to reinstall. Was hoping somebody knows another way.