[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Well, while would be nice to fix the anniversary edition, mainly because the fun, no one is forcing you to use it (perhaps no one is forcing you to use W10 at all)

If you really need W10, just use the LTSB 2015 which works well and liekely will work well for the foreseeable future.

Wasn't WMC the only program good to get the protected channels? in the US?:g:

2. mva5580

mva5580 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2016
    I use my PC in the living room for Gaming as well, and a few of the games I play need Windows 10. If it's a choice between the 2 I choose W10, and besides this TV thing is the ONLY "issue" that I've had come up with W10, everything else is fine. And like I said since there is another way to do it that suits me fine, I don't really consider it a "problem" for me at this point. I have an alternative that is good enough for my needs.

And yes, PowerDVD Ultra 16 plays DTCP-IP TV from my HDHomerun Prime. I can watch AMC, TNT, etc all through PowerDVD and to this point I've had no real issues with it. Like I said no guide or DVR, but those 2 things don't really matter to me. If I'm turning on the TV, I know exactly what I'm going to watch.

3. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #7523 DavidinCT, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    I tried DVBLink Server, I played with it for over 3 hours, it would never see my networked shared Ceton tuners. The Ceton app shows the tuners available and can connect to it, installing the driver in WMC does nothing as we all know.

With DVBLink Server it would never find the tuner. If someone tried this and got it working, I would love the details on how they got it working.

I have a Ceton Infinty 6 PCIe tuner on my Windows 7 based Home Theater PC (that I was able to share via bridging the connection), I have no need for MORE tuners nor do I have a problem on recording on the HTPC, so getting a HDR and getting less tuners is not something I am willing to do(and paying more money a month to get a 2nd cablecard).

Anyone have ANY success with this combo ?

Well, if your using Windows 10 and allowing updates, it's just a matter of time before Microsoft FORCES you to take the anniversary update.

When other programs/apps stop working as they will require the update, then it kind of defeats the point of running Windows 10...

It's just a matter of time...

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Not if you use the LTSB 2015

5. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    That's is exactly my point. 14393 with DVBLink, will not see a "win7 bridged tuner". I have not read any reports of 14393 with DVBLink that have the tuner inside the 14393 box.

6. jeff2012

jeff2012 MDL Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Microsoft is poised to deliver yet another major upgrade to windows 10; landing first to testers next week.

Any chance WMC might yet function again or probably not?

7. jeff2012

jeff2012 MDL Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Which is safer and why for WMC:

Windows LTSB 2015 or Windows 10 V 1511 with Windows update service turned off and manual updates installed once we know they will not break WMC?

8. AnthH

AnthH MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2015
    Just installing KB3198586, KB3198585, and KB3200970 will report back if WMC 8.8.1 still works on Windows Pro 1607 14393.351 here in the UK.

9. AnthH

AnthH MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2015
    T-S's 8.8.1 still works fine with Patch Tuesdays updates. :) OS Build 14393.447 Windows Pro.

10. jessie

jessie MDL Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Patch Tuesdays updates ltsb 2015 wmc works great but it KILLED 586 :mad:

11. Dirkbg

Dirkbg MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2015
    Here we go again. KB3198586 loses my HDHR tuner. Rolled back and it's fine. Another patch to block now.

12. JakeStockton

JakeStockton MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    Wow, I feel like that was a close call! After my Ceton tuners died I was pleased to see your positive rollback experience. Like you, Uninstalling 586 did the trick! Phew.

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    It's another cumulative update, hence it includes what was included in the previous cumulative update, that killed WMC few weeks ago.

Hence very likely you have just to reapply the fix ready shared here.

14. Tourniquet

Tourniquet MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    Hey.

I used MCE in TH2 without any problems. With RS1 however I have a "black screen" problem. The thing is, after a couple of time without interaction (pause live tv) the screen will turn black. This happends on all my win10 PCs.

Is there a workaround for that? Screen standby is of course set off.

15. Dartman

Dartman MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2016
    I noticed a update I didn't tell to run was waiting to automatically update early this morning. When I got up my PC was sitting at the welcome screen so it did the update about 4 this morning. It of course was KB3198586 and it killed my HD HomeRun to WMC again so I immediately uninstalled it and added it to the blocked updates in that tool posted earlier. Tuner of course works again and hopefully there may be a update to fix it rather then blocking future windows updates but everything still works fine again so if that's what it takes that's what I'll do rather then rely on my 7 box that occasionally will just crash when left on 24/7 mostly sleeping just to run WMC.
    Last time I missed a few shows I like before I realized the last security update killed it so I was watching this time and box is happily recording Nova right now as I type.

16. dbDesign

dbDesign MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2015
    I read allot about people that have problems “after” a certain update or (in most cases) a new Build.
    Maybe I can be of assistants…………

I build HTPC systems for customers and off course install Windows 10 with the MediaCenter Patch.
    BUT…….. when there comes a Build, I know that MediaCenter will be gone.
    I know that when de Build is done (installed) there will be a problem if the tuner drivers still are present in the driver environment.

So what I do;
    I have an Image whit ALL software ERXEPT tuner drivers and also NO DVBLink (if needed)
    If there comes a Build update I will first install the earlier made Image, carry on whit all new updates from that point on and also install the latest Build update.
    From that point on there is NO tuner driver present and they also where never installed.
    Next I make a new Image (whit latest Build) for next Build update (also without tuner driver)

Now, at that point you FIRST install MediaCenter Patch and only after that point install your tuner drivers.
    I found out that there was a conflict if the drivers where already present and I install MediaCenter.
    In my opinion it is not possible to install any tuner driver BEFORE MediaCenter is present.

Until now, this will always work…………

I hope I can help people whit this information???

17. TOFnow

TOFnow MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2015
    #7539 TOFnow, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Thank you for this suggestion and I'm happy that it works for you. I tried it with a new installation of an Insider Preview (red stone) 14931 build. After installing and all updates applied I installed v12 of the WMC patch, then installed the HDHr3-CC tuners. Unfortunately it still does not see the tuners. If this technique is applicable to updated 15068 builds I'll give it a trial later. ;)

Added Note:

Steps I have taken:

Formatted new partition and installed new 10586.
    Let it update to latest KB3198586 and KB3150513.
    Installed WMC patch v12.
    Installed Updated HDHR3-CC drivers from Silicon Dust.
    Rebooted.
    Tried WMC setup---Tuner Not Found.

If I missed something during this please advise me of a better procedure. :confused:

18. RussellSmith

RussellSmith MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2016
    Does anyone know if xbox extenders work on 1607 (anniversary update)?