[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Any new luck with a Ceton tuner ?

I want to jump back in this game and no, I am not willing to replace a perfectly working Infintv 6 PCIe card (giving 6 tuners) with a HDR giving me only 3 tuners. And my License for Windows 10 only gives me Windows 10 pro, and it took the Anniversary update on it. I also have an Infinty 4 PCIe card, incase I wanted to add more tuners.

Riddle me this. Does T-S's 8.8.x run on Windows 8.1 ? This should allow my Ceton tuners to work and I can play with the RDP hack and other mods that were added in it. Any new tests with 8.1 ?

On my primary HTPC, I run Windows 7 as the primary OS and run Windows 8.1 w/WMC on a dual boot (No boot up option, need to change in system to change OSs so I can use UEFI), I had 10 on it but, after updates killing WMC, I decided I needed to be 100% dependable and 10 WMC cant provide that for me unless I completely disable update.

2. batpot

batpot MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2016
    Have an HD Homerun Prime, and running OCURDiscovery finds 3 tuners, but I can't setup the TV within media center, because it says non tuner detected.
    I tried putting the computer to sleep and turning it back on (some random forum search suggested this), and no difference.

Any ideas?

3. kkingsto

kkingsto MDL Novice

May 22, 2016
    What version of Windows 10 do you have (Settings->About).

4. batpot

batpot MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2016
    Thank you, it is 14393.447, Win 10 Pro.

5. wshiwsbrding

wshiwsbrding MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2016
    When using the WMC patch for Windows 10, do I need to do anything special in sleep settings in Windows to get the slideshow to come on as the screen saver?

As I recall, when I had Windows 7, and I used WMC, the slideshow just seemed to come on without doing anything. Or maybe in the sleep settings there was an option for WMC slideshow. But now that I have WMC working on Windows 10, I can't seem to get it to come on unless I go in to pictures and manually start slideshow.

Thanks All

6. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    It works perfectly on W8.1 and Win Server 2016

BUT

You can't install the DVD player for win 10 / Win server 2016 on them, so no activation of "premium features" on MS' codecs, so you need the LAV filters, and using the LAV filters breaks another ring f the protected chain, so (again) no protected channels for US users.

In short, to get the right codecs you need

Any "real" WMC Windows

or

Win 10/Win Server 2016 (only the final versions) + the DVD Player

or

Windows Home Server 2011 and its (better) brother Windows Storage Server 2008R2 Essentials

To get the Cable Card support you need

Any real WMC version

Or

Win 10 10240 or 10586 (not fully upgraded or fixed after the fully upgrade)

Or

Windows Server 2016 TP4

So does a bit of cross checking of those two requirements and you will see that (as cable card user) your only options are

A real WMC OS, or W10 LTSB 2015 or Win 10 10240/10586 with an eye taken on the automatic upgrades.

Or WHS and its brother.

7. Clairechan1992

Clairechan1992 MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2016
    Kind of why I need WMC to work as anything that is not an OTA Channel is DRM flagged

8. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Bummer...you must be on the east coast. Jersey?

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Is there a way to integrate WMC into the install.wim of 14393, and if so how, and which version of WMC installation package.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. batpot

batpot MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2016
    Thanks.
    Not worth the hassle for me; went back to Win 7.
    Hopefully they keep the assistive upgrade open long enough for me to trust Silicon Dust's solution.

11. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    :g::g:

Isn't the same "hassle" going to win7 over w10 LTSB ?

12. leopila

leopila MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2015
    But many of us in the US do not have an Enterprise "license" or even a straight forward way of converting our Win 10 pro to the needed Win 10 LTSB version without a license. Or, have I missed something?

13. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    T-S, I do have 8.1 with WMC (legal version of it, the only 8.1 key I didn't upgrade to 10), can you let me know what files are modified with your hack ? Maybe I can replace just a few files so I can not have to deal with the codec issues/ or cablecard issues but, get the advantage of using RDP and other little hacks you enabled ?

I tried 10 and after a few updates, I gave up as it's not 100% dependable and my Ceton tuner no longer works with it. So rolled back to my 8.1 image.

I'm still on the quest for the perfect extender, and getting RDP working on my HTPC with Extender support is the first step.

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    The RDP patch has nothing to do with the codec problem, you need W8.1 WMC to have the MS codec working, and you can activate W8.1 WMC with any KMS emulator, just like W10 LTSB.

As for the modified files just download the one click (standalone) installer and check yourself.

15. SBC

SBC MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2015
    Hi,

Media Centre was working beautifully for me until a windows update wiped if from existence a few months ago.

I've now completely rebuilt PC with new version and am back up and running; however, the IceTV app that I was using to provide the EPG data no longer works on Windows 10, even in compatibility mode.

Can you please advise how to get EPG data for this version. I am based in Sydney and happy to pay a subscription - just need it to work so the wife doesn't kill me :)

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this - Media Centre is still the best solution out there!

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    aren't mc2xml and EPG collector ok for you?

17. garnuts

garnuts MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2016
    Check out EPG123 on TheGreenButton.tv.

EPG123 is a free program developed by a WMC user who got tired of the bad guide data Microsoft provided through Rovi.

To get the guide data you will need a $25 USD per year to Schedules Direct.

I can't post links yet:

thegreenbuttonDOTtv

schedulesdirectDOTorg

There is a lot of forum support at TheGreenButton.

18. Tree 5

Tree 5 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    Did you have any luck getting it working again?

19. mwpeterson

mwpeterson MDL Member

Sep 7, 2015
    No I never did. I don't know how it worked in the first place.

20. rtechie

rtechie MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2014
    Windows Media DRM was the only software solution (provisionally) approved by CableLabs, and CableLabs refuses to extend that or certify any other software solution. No software-based DVR other than Windows Media Center will ever be able to play CableCard "Copy Once" protected content.

If you want a 3rd party DVR with CableCard that can record premium channels, the only way forward is Tivo.