[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. mat71

mat71 MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2016
    Thanks for your answer annapurna Actual Multiple Monitors works a treat for that.:clap:

2. aremdee

aremdee MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. System is definitely 32bit. Only 4GB of RAM so never thought to install 64bit. Could probably reformat and reinstall Windows 7 but feels like a backward step. Any thoughts as to why I can't install though. It worked previously so am unsure where to go from here. When I reformatted I was told I could only use the digital activation for the bit set I originally upgraded from. Activation worked so maybe I could ask that question again to see if I can get it to activate as 64bit. Still if there are any other thoughts it may save me the time in doing that. By the way the help is much appreciated.

3. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    64 or 32 is decided by your CPU. Google your CPU to see if you have a 32 bit or 64 bit system. OR open file manager and right-click This PC and select Properties

then down load the appropriate WMC installer

4. aremdee

aremdee MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. I meant to say that the OS is 32bit. Processor supports 64bit. I have downloaded and tried to install version 12 which is 32bit and that's where my problems start. The installer fails with the error message I posted originally. Barring reformatting and reinstalling the 64bit version of Windows 10 and then installing 8 (64bit), I was wondering if anyone had any trouble shooting tips to avoid having to reformat. If not then that's what I will do (probably this weekend). Thanks for the help though.

5. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    It's time to straighten out that mess. 64 bit CPU......64 bit OS. You can get away with a build like that with most things ......but not WMC. Take down your partitions as well, and re-partition with the 64 bit O/S.

6. AnthH

AnthH MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2015
    Just for info 8.8.1 works with Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 (OS Build 15063.138) here in the UK with OTA tuners. :clap:

7. 86DB5E58

86DB5E58 MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2010
    Awesome! Glad I could help!

8. 86DB5E58

86DB5E58 MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2010
    DVBLink Server and DVBLink for IPTV Setup on RS2

I'm replying to Crash's post from a bit ago about setup DVBLink... I successfully did this about 72 hours ago and all works as expected! Here are my steps, note my post count isn't high enough to post actual URLs... forgive me!

I successfully installed DVBLink Server (which is free) & DVBLink for IPTV (which costs ~$50, but has a trial period) on 156063.138 (RS2 with updates...). with WMC v8.8.1 and WMC works wonderfully with the non-DRM channels. Guide data works great and I haven't seen anything in the past 72 hours or so that concerns me... all is good!

The steps... forgive me but I can't post direct links (Yet).
    1. Install Windows 10 RS2 and fully update it. Use 64-bit OS only!!!
    2. Install DVBLink Server - DVBLink Server Version: 6.0.0 Build: 14061 (latest version as of 4/13/2017). http--dvblogic.com/en/downloads/
    3. Once installed, go to the DVBLink configuration from the app and in DVBLink package center add/install DVBLink for IPTV. Register for a free trial.
    4. Once DVBLink for IPTV is installed - go to the Sources tab and and an IPTV source for your HDHomerun... instructions start here: http--//forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=28963 however my steps were significantly easier.
    4a. I just went to the IP address of one of my HDHomeruns (I have 2) and then the channel lineup with is an html page... I switched the .html to .xml to obtain an xml listing of the channels... example: http--//10.10.0.10/lineup.xml
    4b. Skip all the steps in the guide 1-2 and go to step three with your xml url...
    4c. In step 3 follow those instructions using the xml url instead and follow to the end.
    4d. I didn't setup the EPG in step #4 until after installing WMC
    4e. Go to the "Channels" tab in DVBLink configuration and select all the channels you want, I just did all of them. Click on Save.
    5. Use v8.8.1 of WMC setup and install, note I didn't setup hosts files or anything else in the readme or workarounds txt files.
    6. Open WMC as administrator and run through full setup...
    7. To setup tuners, I ran through this guide: http--//dvblogic.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_configure_DVBLink_tuners_in_Windows_MediaCenter
    8. Test it out! Worked right away for me...
    9. After WMC was setup I was able to go back to the DVBLink Configuration and to "Sources" and went to "EPG Sources" and setup "MC Guide Sources" for my guide.
    10. I'm pretty sure that was all my steps!

Good luck - turns out I don't really watch much HBO/SHO/etc... often enough at my workstation to care about missing them. My main MCE machines are still on 10240 with no updates never... I'm happy with this setup!

9. Alewort

Alewort MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2017
    I did pretty much the same with a clean install of Creator's Update Build 15063. Anything I want to watch HBO I can use HBO Go. If I really need to record a show from there I can bring out the old Windows 8.1 machine for. Meanwhile, WMC and 4k Netflix on the same machine!

10. newapzz

newapzz MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2017
    Please help! Is anyone have solution how to get Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe tuner working with Windows 10 creator edition. Problem is that Media center doesn't see tuner :( Thank you!

11. DavidGag

DavidGag MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2017
    #8053 DavidGag, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Sadly Unable to get WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12 to work with Windows 10 Creator update on either of my machines. No error messages just won't launch. Anyone have any suggestions?

Apparently the fix is to simply reinstall WMC I will post an update

12. fresco

fresco MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2015
    Use 8.8.1 instead. Worked fine for me (and others).

13. WGMaker

WGMaker MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2016
    Installed 8.8.1 on W10 Creators update. All works, except the most important (for me): It doesn't recognize the Digital Devices DVB-S2 tuner! Similar issue as post1338403. Hopefully someone comes with a solution ...

14. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #8057 crash2009, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    I believe that DVB-S2 worked with Win10 14393, Can anyone else confirm DVB-S2 is broken with 15063 ?

If broken.....Have you tried DVBLink Server V 6.0 ? I posted the instructions a few posts back, and others have confirmed Digital CableCard works. (CableCard=United States Only).

15. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Canary Islands correct?

Uninstall with the v8.8.1 uninstaller

Delete the contents of

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome

and

C:\Windows\ehome

Cold boot. shutdown/remove power cord/depress PC on button

post1338403 means nothing to me. What is the Post number to the right of the date. This post is #8058

What model is your DVB-S2 tuner?

When you say..... "It doesn't recognize the Digital Devices DVB-S2 tuner" Are you talking about Device Manager?

Is this the same problem you had with 14390?

16. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
  17. dbDesign

dbDesign MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2015
    @WGMaker and all other people that struggle with the new 1703 Build and setting up WMC with now working tuners or no finding tuners:

As I said before it is almost 100% impossible to set up a new Build at a existing Windows 10 together with WMC if on that PC was WMC before.
    Or you need a new Windows 10 setup or you need a “Virgin” PC
    Whit Virgin I mean following, because I did this every time and until now, also with 1703 and it still works this way:

You will need a Windows 10 installation without WMC. There may NEVER have had an installation of WMC before on that PC. Upgrade with the new build, do all the stuff that you have to do with update and/or install programs and than make a Image file of your operation disk.
    From that point on install WMC
    AFTER WMC is installed install your tuner drivers and go on with setting up everything.
    This will work 100%

So this means that if there will be coming up a new build FIRST you have to sett your Image back on the operation disk and from that point on instal the new Build.
    WMC is not yet installed and never was before on that PC
    Again: make a new Image for later use (if again a new Buils is comming up)
    After that install WMC and everything should work 100%

The problem is as follow:
    It is impossible to install WMC on a PC where tuner drivers already have been installed or have been installed before.
    This haze everything to do with the BDA driver structure.
    You can NOT install these drivers or have them available on a system where WMC is not installed.
    Install WMC on a system where those drivers are installed or installed before make WMC broken.

I am pretty sure that people whit working setup are the people whit a “fresh” or “Virgin” installation? Any other setup will not work………….