[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. jed1949

jed1949 MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2015
    @dbDesign - I've got to disagree with you. All that nonsense about must only use a virgin build, do not install tuners first is untrue. The problem with a box that has had WMC on already is that most people don't know about the hidden folder that crash2009 mentions

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome

you have to go File Explorer Options - Show hidden files and folders to see it. Just deleting Windows\ehome is not enough. Folk who don't know about the hidden folder get the problems you describe. The uninstaller doesn't always remove all traces.

My upgrade routine -
    uninstall WMC using uninstaller.cmd
    check both the folders crash2009 mentions are empty
    do the CU upgrade
    check TV tuners have still got drivers
    install WMC

I'm on UK Freeview with internal TBS 6205 quad pci-e tuner, 1703 build.

I hope noobs reading this thread ignore all that 'impossible, must be virgin pc' guff. Only at the very last resort should you start uninstalling stuff, wiping drives etc.

2. dbDesign

dbDesign MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2015
    You can and may say whatever you want, but I know for sure that you can have problems in the way I told.
    Your experience is probably from only one machine, mine is from a 50 or so more.
    Call it nonsense, that’s youre call, I know what works and what not and from where problems can come from.

3. josher_09

josher_09 MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2017
    im only having problems getting scheduled recordings to initiate when WMC is closed on my computer do i need to leave WMC open at all times for scheduled recordings to initiate?

4. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    You need to make network service a member of the administrators group.....or get a newer version of WMC.

5. josher_09

josher_09 MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2017
    ok thanks thats easy enough to do

6. guho

guho MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2012
    #8066 guho, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Had to uninstall & block Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB4015219) to keep my CableCard tuners working with Windows Media Center on Windows 10 pre-anniversary update. It is becoming a chore! Is there a way to block Windows updates but still allow modern app updates? stopping the update service blocks all.

7. josher_09

josher_09 MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2017
    my tuner works fine and have all updates install must be tuner specific and no i dont think there is a way of blocking updates yet microsoft loves forcing them updates and spying on you......

8. guho

guho MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2012
    Sounds to me like you do not watch protected channels using a CableCard tuner (USA). My comment was an attempt to help others still holding out with WMC on Win10 1511 in order to view premium cable.

9. josher_09

josher_09 MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2017
    ahh yea i see that now yea i don't use a cable tuner what i used before i found out about WMC on windows 10 was sichbo pvr i think that supports cable cards and has some similarities to wmc

10. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    We never did get premiums (DRM-Protected) working in 14393 AU.

I did get CableCARD Tuner (HDHR-3CC) working using DVBLink Server v 6.0.....Win10/14393/WMCv12 will recognize the virtual tuner that DVBLink Server creates.....in 14393's Device Manager. Premium channels don't work...All the rest work fine. This is OK for some of us, but many on the East and West Coast unfortunately all the channels are flagged as protected.

Back in August 2016, T-S made a lot of suggestions. I doubt all of them were attempted.

Re-Updates for modern apps..... is it possible to update manually, or transplant?

11. sophware

sophware MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2017
    I'm about to attempt an CableCard (HDHR Prime w/ DRM channels in the mix) install with Windows 10 LTSB 2015 (version 1507 build 10240.17354). I had naively thought that by being on LTSB, I'd be free of worrying about updates. Certainly, I'll stay on the same version and build (and not get Anniv update or Creators update); but will I still have to worry about things like KB4015219, as far as you know?

12. bodine465

bodine465 MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2015
    Had to kill off automatic updates myself to stay at version 1511. If you haven't figured it out yet, it's simple. Open Task Manager, then click on"Services". At the bottom, click on "Open Services". Scroll down to "Windows Update", then right click on it and select "Stop". Right click on it again and select "Properties". Change "Startup Type" to "disabled", then click on OK. That'll do it. The only drawback is that you won't be able to install any apps from the Windows Store while Windows Update is disabled. If you really need an app, you can enable Updates long enough to install the app, then stop the service again and disable it again. If there is an update that you really need, most of the KB updates can be downloaded from Microsoft and installed off the file.

13. Robbie Jardine

Robbie Jardine MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2017
    #8073 Robbie Jardine, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Hey all

So I have installed WMC-V8.8.1 and ran the 8.7-8.8-QuickFix patch, MCE installed perfectly. all channels have been found, Live TV works without any issues.... and now guide works.

The only thing I have noticed is after updating the guide via settings within MCE then viewing the guide causes MCE to crash and reopen. Not sure of the cause.

14. Tourniquet

Tourniquet MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    Yes with the "Windows Update MiniTool". There you can "Disable" Automatic Updates for Windows Update. That has nothing to do with the Store Updates. You can also check there for normal Windows Updates without the fear something gets automatically installed.

15. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #8075 crash2009, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    have a look at the Readme and Workaround files included with your WMC install files.

Usually, these little non explainable errors are caused by neglecting to "unblock the zip" or deleting the 2 folders mentioned in post #8061

right click the zip, go to properties, select unblock.

save settings, uninstall, re-install, restore settings.

16. Robbie Jardine

Robbie Jardine MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2017
    I did this and no change, post #8061 offers nothing by way of a solution

17. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Have you tried clearing the guide database and redoing tv settings?
    make an image before hand

18. KarterJK

KarterJK MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2015
    #8078 KarterJK, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Using Windows Creator
    WMC v8.8.1
    HD HomeRun Prime x2

installed everything works except could not detect tuners

strange thing is, I can use the HD Homerun Prime app just fine and I can view/play channels using the Windows Media Player by just selecting the tuner. so if media player can use it, why not media center.

Should I be using v12 or
    should i install 8.7-8.8-QuickFix patch? if so where can I find that?

thanks

19. Delphiwizard

Delphiwizard MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    I have the same tuner setup i think, forced the creators update tonight, reinstalled wmc (one thing to check here is that possible existing shortcuts point to windows.old, remove them)

Same thing happend to me, wmc didn't see the tuners, so i deleted them from the device manager, rebooted and windows installed them again, then they showed up in wmc.

Scanning for channels on 4 satellites now.

20. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Post #8061 refers to two folders that should be deleted prior to your next attempt at uninstall and reinstall.

What did you do after you unblocked the zip?

Follow the Breadcrumbs back to the original post. Its not that far, maybe 10-20 back.