[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #8261 crash2009, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    HEVC, that's the H.265. We are having a little trouble with H.264 over here. USA

Drm H.264 channel plays fine until the end of the movie, then it appears the CableCARD reauthorizes the next movie (guessing)

Then display driver failure display driver recovers next movie starts to play a little bit but it stutters, eventually the stuttering results in WMC error,,, files needed to display video are either not installed or not working.... restart WMC gets everything working again. So far the failure at the end of the movie has been unpredictable sometimes it'll Play movie after movie after movie all day long with no problem.

I ran the advanced logging in the Ceton diagnostics. After reviewing the files all I can see in there is my display driver has a problem.. further research suggest my display driver is having trouble with the new version of hdcp.

2. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
  3. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    I used V12 and don't have many problems with it although it has been suggested that v8.8.1 by T-S has a 'better' installer/de-installer.

Your experience is pretty much the same as mine. Since updates to my system, I sometimes get a Red Recording icon and sometimes not.

Unfortunately, there has been no new guide data in Europe since the 14th July. WMC says it has downloaded but it is downloading old data over and over. Things in North America seem to be a bit different.

I have three PCs running WMC - one with DVBS-2 and two with DVBT - and switched my Living Room PC over to using EPG Collector to pull guide data from the satellite last time the MS/BDS data stopped coming. While it still only gives 7 days, at least there is data for all of the UK channels.

A lot of people have switched to using EPG123 to populate their guide. There is a thread on The Green Button dedicated to this.

4. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no problems with the red recording icon in X64 V12 MCE :) LTSB2016
    Guide date has been fine in win7 MCE, 14 days from the internet, i supplement it with dvbguide for the missing channels, although that is OTA and is only 7 days.

I did try the suggestions in the workaround for guide data download problems, I pinged cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com and got a reply from 62.252.115.64: so i even tried adding 62.252.115.64 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com to the end of the host file.
    It still only got guide data from OTA. i got the usual MCE guide data errors

5. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    I haven't had any new data from MS on any of my PCs since the 14th July. Windows 7, Windows 10, terrestrial, Hotbird, Astra I, Astra II, nothing.

I know I'm not alone.

6. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I just put my win7 MCE ssd bac in to check and it is 7 days epg ftom OTA... WTF, it did used to be 14 days from the internet.

7. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    I've given up all hope of ever getting MS/BDS data again (unfortunately).

8. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    If ever i have a problem with MCE i always revert back to an image with the OS the way i wanted and before MCE has even been opened, i also update it, so "installer/de-installer" doesn't apply.

I'm ready to commit and i'm about to install on my SSD and make an image before installing MCE, still dont know which version of MCE to use though.

9. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
  10. robocart9

robocart9 MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2017
    I need help with mine, I have tried multiple times to install, but when i run the installer as administrator, it just gives me this response from Command Prompt.

Attached Files:

11. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
  12. bootloop

bootloop MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2016
    @robocart9
    Even though you're seeing two errors, error 0x800703f8 is equivalent to Win32 error 1016. There may be a problem with the registry which you need to resolve before re-attempting the installation so try researching the error 0x800703f8 / error 1016 and check the DISM and CBS logs for any further information.

If you need more help, stating your OS details and info from log files might be helpful.

13. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    What version of WMC are you using....
    What is the complete file name?

Go to page 1 and get version 8.8.1

Uninstall with v8.8.1

Delete the 2 ehome folders

Then install v8.8.1

14. Angelone

Angelone MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2017
    Can I patch WMC into any W10 edition, particularly into W10 Home Edition ?

15. bootloop

bootloop MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2016
    @Angelone
    I'm currently using V12.7 in Pro 32 bit version 1703 and previously ran it as Home in both version 1607 and 1703. My other OSs are all Pro 64 bit and are running V8.8.1. Update to 1703 before installing WMC because 1607>1703 will break it and you'll need to uninstall and re-install WMC as when updating to 1607 previously.

16. Angelone

Angelone MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2017
    Thank you bootloop. I am off to buy W10 Home then, no need for Pro.

17. alco933

alco933 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2017
    My WMC quit working on Windows 10 sometime in the last 6 months. I CAN NOT get it to start again. I have tried installing/uninstalling/reinstalling to get it to work again. V12 doesn't even install anymore I get the typical error that everyone else reports which is this:

0x800f0922

I was going to post a link showing steps I tried to fix this but this forum is blocking me from posting the link. !!!

I have tried all of this.

I have also checked for windows updates that may have ruined this but don't see any of them on my system.

I went back to V8.8.4_x64_b_T-S and this does install but doesn't run. I also notice that the services don't start after install and reboot, you have to manually set them to "automatic" start and start them. Also, i have "system" local log on for them.

So now when I try to start WMC i get a spinning wait cursor for about 4 seconds and then nothing.

I have a NVidia GeForce GT-710 I got recently and wondering if that is part of the problem.

Anything else I can try? I want my TV back on my computer.

Here's something else I just noticed in my application logs:
    Application: ehshell.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
    at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.SqlLiteErr.LogAndThrowException(Int32, System.String, System.Object[])
    at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.ObjectStore.Open(System.String)
    at MediaCenter.Store.SqlLite.ObjectStoreManager.Open(System.String, Boolean)
    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Reflection.Assembly, Boolean)

Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.Reflection.Assembly, Boolean)
    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.Open(System.String, System.String, System.String, Boolean)
    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.AddObjectStoreReference()
    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Store.ObjectStore.get_DefaultSingleton()
    at ServiceBus.UIFramework.UserControlPoint.Launch(System.String)

Source: .NET Runtime
    Event ID: 1026

18. sxotty

sxotty MDL Novice

May 23, 2016
    No I was out of town for some time and did not mess with it. Sorry I have no solution to offer, but I will still update if I ever figure something out.

19. AzJazz

AzJazz MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    Hi - I just installed WMC v6.3.9600.16384 on my Win10x64 v10.0.15063 yesterday, trying to get my HDHomeRun Prime with CableCARD to work. I just discovered the WMC for Win10 yesterday, and hoped it would be usable.

Unfortunately, I am getting the impression that WMC isn't compatible with Win10 v10.0.15063 anymore, and won't be able to find my "TV Tuner".

Is that correct, and I won't be able to use my HDHomeRun Prime with anything other than the SiliconDust DVR application (which is already really limited in functionality)?

20. AnthH

AnthH MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2015