[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. saud

saud MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2015
    Is there anyone having issues with recording schedules? Mine does not start the schedule after I got the new Windows 10 update and I had to install WMC again. Another problem, WMC does not start when pressing the green button on my media center remote, before I had to push the green button twice to start WMC and now nothing happens, I tried reinstalling WMC still same problem, it does not start at the scheduled time.

2. Thunder Dan

Thunder Dan MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2016
    #8382 Thunder Dan, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    The freezing issue has returned for me. I'm using an AMD graphics card but none of the monitors or TV that I have attached to it support FreeSync so I can't test that. I did try to play a recorded file by clicking it in the Recorded TV folder and it still freezes up. Using The Maxifier is good for a workaround but I'd prefer to be able to watch in true full screen mode.

Another thing I just noticed is that my program guide only goes through October 23rd. When I manually do an update, it says guide listings were downloaded successfully but it still only goes through the 23rd. Is anyone else having this issue?

*EDIT* In response to saud's message before this one, mine records scheduled shows like it's supposed to and will even wake my PC up to record a show but it doesn't always show the red circle icon in the notification area when it's recording. Also most of the new recordings don't show up in the jump list when right clicking Media Center's icon.

3. propwash

propwash MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2008
    #8383 propwash, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    I also have it freezing up on a two-display system running from an i3 with integrated graphics when MCE is running in full screen. Very annoying because the core program still works when in a window... and because after two years of MCE being unsupported in Win 10 there is still, IMHO, no single PVR as good or reliable as Media Centre.

In fact as soon as it drops into windowed mode it becomes responsive again, so it's something to do with being full-screen.

Hopefully a fix can be found for this, I'm looking, but it's guesswork.

4. propwash

propwash MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2008
    The problem I found was when it was full-screen it would become unresponsive. Window it or put something on top of the full-screen window and it would come alive again. I'm running MCE on a TV (as a second display) and also use a primary display for lightweight PC activity from the same machine.

For now the Maxifier trick works, and for me on my television using it with left 0, top 0, right 1, bottom 1, results in a frameless window.

I have tried playing about with compatibility settings and none make much of a difference. I have found something I'd not had an issue with on pre-1709 Windows, and that was the DPI of the second screen (the TV) was set to 125% and that scaled everything out of proportion. Fixing the DPI to 100% for both screens is the (obvious) fix there.

So for now this is a reasonable fix.Actually it's a little better in a way - before when full-screen Media Center would trap the mouse. Now it's a window that doesn't happen.

(And OnTopReplica still works - if you've got two displays and have never tried it, it's magic for things like video apps.)

5. CZ Eddie

CZ Eddie MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2016
    Darn it. No tuner found here too. It's only an issue with the CableCard setup though.
    Latest Windows 10 update.

• WMC-V8.8.1_x64_by_T-S
    • hdhomerun_windows_20150826.exe
    • HDHomeRun Prime

If I run TV setup with the CableCard installed, then it doesn't find tuners.
    If I remove the CableCard from the Prime and configure it as Cable TV instead, then WMC works just fine setting up the card.
    Put the CableCard back in and boom, WMC immediately says it cannot find the tuner.

I tried every trick Google could find for me over the last three hours.
    Nothing worked.

I'm afraid I won't be one of the folks who rolls back to an older Win10 and disables updates.
    I guess I'll setup a Win8.1 with WMC for my regular PC.

Bummer.

6. GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2015
    I tried that, and mine freezes as soon as MCE loads (blank blue MCE background). It won't play anything at all. If I alt tab or CTRL-ALT-DEL and hit ESC, the screen will progress, but still frozen.

Turned off Game Bar and Game DVR, didn't make any difference.

I rolled back, but my Guide is hosed. Tries to download, says it finished, but nothing in the Guide, and when I try to go into the Guide, it says I have less than 3-days left and wants to download. It repeats in a loop. I wish I'd thought of not letting it update in the first place or anticipated the update and did a clonezilla backup before it happened. :(

7. Jelloitsalive12

Jelloitsalive12 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2016
    I haven't updated yet, but just noticed my guide isn't updating, getting notification that it fails, I don't think it is related to FCU.

Attached Files:

8. jimi1000

jimi1000 MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2016
    It is not FCU. there is an ongoing guide update issue listed at thegreenbutton:

Topic: Guide Data Outage - 2017 Edition

9. ccypruss000

ccypruss000 MDL Senior Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Good news which version is compatible with WMC windows 10 version 1709?

10. saud

saud MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2015
    Anyone knows why WMC does not start the recording on schedule?

11. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    #8391 dhjohns, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Sounds like you are using one of the older versions of WMC.

Go to Page 1 and get V8.8.1

Use V8.8.1 to uninstall your previous version

13. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015

14. Thunder Dan

Thunder Dan MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2016
    The program guide seems to have updated finally. My listings now go through November 3rd.

15. GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2015
    Yep, Guide works now, guess that was just coincidence. The freezing is a deal killer, however. My desktop machine with AMD RX470 graphics and AMD FX-8350 CPU doesn't seem to have the freezing issue. I've launched MCE in fullscreen model several times and can't seem to reproduce the constant freezing on my Core i3 6100 w/Intel HD Graphics. I wonder if it has to do with graphics driver version? FCU supports WDDM 2.3, so maybe older WDDM 2.2 drivers don't exhibit the issue? Just a shot in the dark. Going to update my AMD drivers and see what happens.

16. dbDesign

dbDesign MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2015
    This is exactly what happened.
    Also with an Intel system with HDGraphics.
    It's not specific with AMD.
    The problem is full screen mode

17. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015