[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. amoutie

amoutie MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2015
    I got again MCE freezing on my PC. Running Win10 FCU, Radeon 7.10.3 drivers and a monitor with freesync (disabled). I tried also to force compatibility with Win 8, disabling optimization for full-screen and High DPI monitors. I don't have any idea about what to do...

2. EugenePhD

EugenePhD MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2017
    After I installed Creators Update (1709, but don't know what I was running before), my WMC stopped working. I uninstalled using the cmd file and then installed again. However, during TV setup I now get error "DOWNLOAD FAILURE. The new TV setup data could not be downloaded". It worked before the Creators Update. Playing with 2 IPs in hosts file did not help.

Any help is appreciated.

3. QwErtZ23455

QwErtZ23455 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2017
    #8423 QwErtZ23455, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Unfortunately this solution didn't work for a long time ^^ The first time I tested the new filters everything was fine, but when I tried the next day the artifacts were back again.
    Even a complete re-installation of Windows didn't fix the problem.

What's even more bizarre is that sometimes everything just works as intended, until the next reboot of the computer.

Edit: Playpack of videos and films works fine constantly....
    Edit2: LAVfilters produce way less artifacts than the standard microsoft ones!

Best regards

4. GunnerHook

GunnerHook MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2015
    After the Fall Creators update my Media Center stopped playing recorded shows while in full screen. I'm using an older version with the Windows DVD player. Once I disabled the game bar it started playing again fine. Click Start - Click Gear - Gaming - Turned off record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using game bar, and unchecked the open game bar using controller and show game bar when I play full screen games. Works like a champ again now!

5. bodine465

bodine465 MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2015
    #8425 bodine465, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Hey Ktide1, have you had any issues with Windows updating on it's own after disabling those services? I was having the same issues towards the end of September. I'd disabled the Windows Update feature in Services, like I'd been doing since the creators update, but it recently started reactivating Update on its own and updating to the latest version of Windows, which killed WMC from seeing the tuner on my SiliconeDust Prime. To make things worse, I just returned from a 3 week vacation and my HTPC had upgraded to the latest Fall Creators version. I've managed to return back to ver. 1511 and get the tuner recognized. After reading over you post, I went into Task Scheduler and disabled all entries in the Update Orchestrator and Windows Update folders. I noticed that I can't open the Updates tab in the Settings anymore with Update Orchestrator disabled, but I can live with that. What I'm wondering is if you've had any issues with Update re-enabling itself since you made the changes in Task Scheduler?

6. bodine465

bodine465 MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2015
    Is there currently an issue with Channel Guides. Just came back from vacation and had to roll back my Win 10 HTPC, which had updated to the latest Fall Creators build despite Update being disabled in Services. Got WMC back up and recognizing the SiliconeDust Prime CC again, but the Channel Guides won't install. Originally would say that they were out of date and needed to download, then download complete, but still no channel details. After running TV Setup again and selecting the proper cable company, when I try to DL the channel guide, it says that it cannot DL the file. Any suggestions? Didn't know if this is a service outage, but I've never had this issue before.

7. 019

019 MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2016
    Only way I was able to prevent windows from auto-updating was modding the registry or using Group Policy Editor to set windows update to "notify for download and notify for install".
    There's better guides than me out there for that.

RE: WMC Guide not showing up:
    The following works for me for your issue and also the "No data available" for every channel in the guide.

Try closing the WMC ui, then go to scheduled tasks > Microsoft > Media Center - find the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask and run it.
    Wait ~15 minutes.
    When you restart WMC it'll say "media center recovered from an error - we will download new guide data" or something like that.

There's also the MediaCenterRecoveryTask in Scheduled tasks that resets everything.
    IIRC it resets wmc to defaults and you have to set up everything again.

8. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    I have a hunch that MS has come in through the back door, using Defender as a weapon to force update.

If so, use MSMG Toolkit to remove Defender

9. bodine465

bodine465 MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2015
  10. doodah

doodah MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2008
    I have LTSB 2015 installed, but still cannot detect my HDHR CC tuners. Is there a version of the HDHR software I should be using? I'm using WMC 8.8.1. I didn't disable updates, since I thought they should only be security updates. Anyone else have experience on LTSB 2015?

11. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    I would use HDHR August 2015

Don't forget to run DCA....up in WMC's Extra's

12. GunnerHook

GunnerHook MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2015
    Belay my last, it does't work. Every time I launch in full screen it locks up, but I can launch in windowed mode just fine. It's gotta be something with the video driver or screen overlays or something. I noticed permissions were a bit off for the ehome folder so I changed that but no dice yet. :(

13. doodah

doodah MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2008
    thanks. It seemed like I needed playready x86 as well as x64. So it's safe to keep updates enabled?

14. gedads

gedads MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2015
    exact same thing, i can sometimes just recover temporary control by pressing windows key multiple times
    on a nuc 6i3syh (not 530 but 520).
    Another computer with more "power" mostly used for gaming with a real gpu don't suffer at all from that, wmc works perfectly. Both computers have last version of windows and both use emby with wmc.

15. 019

019 MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2016
    Yeah, I did that for awhile when disabling the auto update service still worked, but it got old having to stay on top of which updates were going to bork my setup. My wmc pc is only used for that so turning it off was the least hassle. I have windows pro so the group policy edit was easy.
    Found the guide I used - I can't post links yet apparently, but here's an attempt:
    windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

16. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    hello alls
    I can not install WMC so I use a French TV program: MOLOTOF.But after 15 minutes of flawless operation, my computer bugue brutally.
    I have Windows 10insider Peview pro 1700025.1000 x 64
    cocks
    an idea?

thank you in advance
    WIKIo_O

17. Singingwolf

Singingwolf MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2017
    So, all my machines updated, I put 8.8.1 on all, and all have the freezing issue. I have tried for the life of me to find a way to disable full screen optimisations but cannot get the compatibility tab to show. Anyone know how to do this? I am getting desperate. Thanks in advance.

18. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015