[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Mkwiggy

Mkwiggy MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2017
    Thanks for your reply. I tried this several times, but when I run TestRights, I 1st get this warning "Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk." and then I can choose "More Info" and let in run, but the CMD screen just flashes quickly and then disappears, so I can't paste anything into it. It did that when I tried to run the Uninstaller.cmd as well. I tried disabling my firewall, but no luck. Any other ideas?

2. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Are you running it elevated (right click, run as administrator)?

3. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    @StefanR

I've been looking at Windows 7 PC on one of my spare PCs and ehtray stops running after a while on there as well.

It seems that eftray is the first that starts when the green button is pressed on the remote and ehtray seems to start ehshell.

The other thing I noticed is that ehsched seems to stay running on my Windows 7 but not on my Windows 10. Unfortunately, starting ehsched doesn't make any difference.

I haven't tried going back to older versions of Windows 10 to compare the difference.

4. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    I assume from your description that you have Media Center set to start automatically. What happens if you disable that, start the PC then launch Media Center?

Does the PC recognise the Receiver and TV properly (correct display with full control over screen size and refresh rate)?

What devices you have shown on your system? Is there a TV and a Receiver? are there updated inf files or drivers for them?

5. StefanR

StefanR MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2015
    I have observed ehtray closing after 10 seconds on earlier versions of Windows 10. It seems like something else has to be running for ehtray to start, but I have no idea what that is. Maybe pressing the green button allows this 'something else' to start ehtray, which then passes a start command to ehshell. The question is whether letting ehtray run in the background (using the ehtrayexitdelay) means that when you press the green button, since ehtray is already running, ehshell will start. Unfortunately I don't have a remote to test this out....

6. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Yes media center does start when ehtray is running but I had problems when I tried to keep restarting it so there must be a trigger that starts it as needed. I'm looking at the registry on my w7 test box and comparing it to a w10 one as I write.

7. Mkwiggy

Mkwiggy MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2017
    I don't show that option, so assumed I'm already signed in as Admin. ?

8. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    You do not need to run as admin. Restart computer, and try again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Mkwiggy

Mkwiggy MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2017
    I've tried uninstalling using the "uninstaller.cmd" within the 8.8.1 folder, but WMC doesn't seam to uninstall.

I've restarted a few times and still no luck. CMD screen still flashes right after the warning screen appears and I choose to "run anyway" then disappears right before a screen pops up asking me if I want to allow this app to make changes to this device.

10. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Disable smart screen, and set UAC slider all the way to the bottom.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Mkwiggy

Mkwiggy MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2017
    I've tried this, disabling it in Edge as well as Windows Defender, slid the UAC to bottom, than I get an Open File -Security Warning "Unknown publisher" warning, click to run it, and same result. TestRights just flashes, Uninstaller looks like it runs a script, then goes away. Once I hopefully get this running, should I be setting the UAC slider back to where it was? Doesn't seem like I need it in Edge.

12. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
  13. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #8593 technodevotee, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    There are way too many differences between W7 and W10 so I'm going to install an older version of W10 on one of my boxes and use that as a reference.

Meanwhile, I've been reading up on how the remote control mechanism works and found there are a lot of people who have spent a lot of time getting the RC6 working with other products.

There are some useful utilities such as showkey and advancedmceremotemapper out there as well.

I managed to configure eventghost so that it opens media center without ehtray running but it seems complete overkill just to remap a few buttons and, while it proves that the buttons actually works, it doesn't help understand why media center is broken now and it shouldn't be necessary to use third party tools to do its job anyway.

14. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Well, a reset or clean reinstall appears to be your best bet, in my opinion.

15. Mkwiggy

Mkwiggy MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2017
    How do I go about doing this? I can't uninstall the original, and when I try to install again, it says I already have it.

16. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I am talking about Windows.

17. Joni

Joni MDL Junior Member

May 28, 2009
    Did the green button still work on16299.15? I installed it last week, I think it did work but I'm not 100% sure or did it stop working after some update after that.

18. Mkwiggy

Mkwiggy MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2017
    I got it to work through a fluke thing. Typed in CMD in the search and there were several commands from the 8.8.1 folder listed. clicked on them in the same order and it uninstalled and installed successfully. The only issue I have now is the guide loads, but I can't search for TV recordings by "Keyword" without getting an error saying search results my be incomplete because the guide listings are still being indexed.
    I also have to change resolution to 1920 x 1080 from my 4k laptop for WMC to load and be able to navigate it.

19. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015

It works on 15063.786 (1703) but not on 16299.125 (1709). I'm trying to pin down when and why it stopped working by comparing files and registry entries.

So far, I've discovered that there were a lot of changes made to the hid handler mechanism but haven't tried reverting them yet.

Watching system activity while pressing the green button, it looks like explorer starts ehtray by searching for it.