[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Superor

Superor MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2016
    If there is someone that can answer my simple question I would’ve appreciated it. As for the different opinions, I have to say that getting a KMS “activated” version means that if in some way a signal gets through to Microsoft about my PC, it would seem as having a completely pirated Windows (that means I have not payed nothing for it), but having a modified normal version running it would register as a payed version. For me, it is different. Legally, it might be the same, but anyway, this is my PC, and this is my view. Aside that, which was the best Windows 10 normal version regarding WMC compatibility? That is the question I would like for someone to answer. Thanks.

Ah, and I don’t have a Windows 7 license, it’s a new PC.

2. demis1159

demis1159 MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2012
    Good evening you could suggest alternative programs to do the same work with the WMC ?
    Tell me what you know, please, because I was tired of not displaying my TV program guide and the other I go to write a program and to throw me out of the program and to rehearse the program on my own and my job not to do it. I use a windows 10 64 bit professional version 1709.

3. eddo2018

eddo2018 MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Mediaportal1 and Mediaportal2 are the most obvious solutions for Windows users (the former is more proven and reliable, the latter now comes with a cloned WMC UI), MythTV for linux users but, AFAIK, there isn't a program other than WMC that supports DRM'd channels on cable cards.

4. tonys2

tonys2 MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2015
    If you don't need DRM I can strongly recommend SichboPVR. I use it to watch and record HD programs on DVB S2 in the UK and it is as easy as pie. I tried Mediaportal and some of the others but they are all relatively difficult to set up and unreliable in operation.

5. Kherm

Kherm MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2016
    Just tested WMC on the latest RS4 build (17110) Still works, installs fine, Still does not work in full screen.

6. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I'm looking to modify the testrights script included with wmc10 to work on 32 bit windows but I'm not exactly sure how to get started doing this. Is there a version of testrights floating around here for 32 bit win? Thanks.

7. eddo2018

Jan 6, 2018
    Universal, auto trigger UAC (assuming nsudo is in \bin subfolder)

Code:
    @echo off
    >nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"
    if "%errorlevel%" NEQ "0" (
        echo: Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        echo: UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" &    exit
    )
    if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" del /f /q "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    )

%windir%\system32\reg.exe query "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /v PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE | find /i "x86" 1>nul || (
    echo ============================================================
    echo Your system is not 32 bit, trying 64 bit.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo Press any key to exit...
    timeout 3
    goto :x64
    )

goto :x86

%windir%\system32\reg.exe query "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /v PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE | find /i "amd64" 1>nul || (
    echo ERROR: This script is for 64-bit systems.
    echo.
    echo.
    echo Press any key to exit...
    pause >nul
    goto :eof
    )

:x86
    cd /d "%~dp0"
    bin\NSudoCx86.exe -U:T -P:E "cmd /K cd /d %~dp0"
    goto :eof
    :x64

cd /d "%~dp0"
    bin\NSudoCamd64.exe -U:T -P:E "cmd /K cd /d %~dp0"

8. eddo2018

Jan 6, 2018
    I din't know that sw, I believe it's pretty young.

Obviously is not on the same league of MP or WMC, but I must say that for 7MB is a pretty impressive SW. If they improve the mouse usability and add some decent option configuration instead of such Iphoneish GUI made for monkeys, it has good chances to become a really great program.

Worth to have it installed as a backup program for WMC/MP

9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Must say once configured it's actually very easy to use :g:. When i hover my mouse over, it just needs to press the mouse thumb-button for 'back-navigation' in explorer/browser (aka Mbutton 5 here) to open the guide and navigate it with the mouse wheel, then either change the channel or use the thumb-button again to close the guide. Mouse-wheel-click makes the Window borderless and in opposite to WMC even in full-screen-mode it doesn't try to restrict the mouse to that screen (have a 4 monitor setup).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. eddo2018

Jan 6, 2018
    Aside that, usually, those buttons are remapped system-wide to something of more useful than nav back and forth, the lack of CH+ / CH- buttons on anything other than WMC and Mediaportal2 with the WMC skin, is just incredible. Doing some aimless zapping, I believe, Is the most used action when watching some TV, going back and forth the guide is an unneded complication.

Anyway, as I said, I'm impressed by the amount of features stored in a 7MB program, notepad++ takes more space, MP2 is almost 300MB once installed...

11. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
  12. eddo2018

Jan 6, 2018
    You're welcome !

13. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #8695 crash2009, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Sichbo005.jpg Sichbo006.jpg
    Make your own TV stations from downloaded videos

By going into TV > Folders. I call them "Folder Channels". The idea is you make a channel, point it to a few folders on your PC or network and it'll create a lineup automatically in the EPG. For example you might make a channel called "Cartoons" and point it to your private stash of animated shows. Play the channel from the guide and it'll keep cycling through episodes etc.

I have been wanting that feature since forever. Now I'm seeing the bigger picture. 4K channel, 3D channel, Rolling Stones channel.....

If you have multiple tuners, PIP works also.
    Nice Network Server to get TV on the Tablet

One Port Forward in the router might get this one in the truck.

Would be nice to have this in WMC.

14. rjs987

rjs987 MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2018
    Do you have DGA for 32 bit?

15. gepi57

gepi57 MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2017
    Version 1709 Build 16299.248

This issue has been solved (worked around) previously:

On my old HP (10yrs old! Win10 Home) dis- and re-installs MC881.
    Result: Superb..

On my laptop Dell XPS15 4k (Win10 Home), after the fall Update, same method.
    Result: black in full screen.

Solution: I copy all eHome out of the Windows folder directly into C. Then just change the Media Center address in the Desktop Shortcut (remove \Windows) and check 'Disable full screen optimizations' in the Compatibility tab of the Properties of the same Shortcut.
    (as per Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives).

For high resolution machines, to restore the functionality of the Media Center icon pinned to the taskbar, just do the same thing as for the desktop shortcut:
    Change the path in the Properties of the other shortcut ('Windows Media Center') which is in the following folder:
    C: \ Users \ userID \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Quick Launch \ User Pinned \ TaskBar \
    Right-click on the shortcut in the folder, click on Properties, remove '%windir%'
    and, in the Compatibility tab, check 'Disable Full Screen Optimization'.

16. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I don't doubt that it can be worked around. In fact I did it twice. Each time it lasted for a few days to maybe a week and then failed again. My guess is you have to copy the media center files out of Windows on a clean install as once Windows identifies the process as being a part of Windows and thus no longer eligible for compatibility modes or disabling full screen optimizations it doesn't forget it no matter where you move it. That or my install of Windows is different (it is Enterprise). I'm happy with my launcher app moving the top left corner of WMC's window just off the screen so it looks like it's full screen with the exception of a one pixel row at the bottom of the screen for the autohide taskbar (you can in fact cover that up but then it gets to be a pain to end WMC as it's title bar is no longer visible and you can't right click it's icon to close it or minimize it). If you minimize it and then restore it it will no longer be positioned properly so I made my launcher look and see if the executable it's going to launch is already executing and if so it just move the existing process's window. Has it's upsides, you can bring other small windows in to do stuff without having to pause and minimize WMC and as long as your taskbar's color is something suitable like black or dark blue it's actually pretty hard to tell it's there a lot of the time.

17. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    I'm looking for a script that does the reverse of a WMC install. I have a few WMC builds where the sports strip has reappeared, and I want to capture WMC in its entirety so that I can attempt to transplant it to another machine. I have x86 and x64 machine I need to do this for. Either I am missing something or I'm only seeing installer scripts with files already in them.