[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    If you're using T-S's 8.8.1 installer you use the BackupRestoreSettings.cmd script to save the settings on one machine, install it on another machine then copy the SettingsBackup folder and the Settings.reg file to the new machine and execute BackupRestoreSettings.cmd on the new machine.

2. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    I have a question for you. As most of you know back in about 2012, Microsoft decided to remove sports spotlight and Internet Tv .

Would it be possible to bring some or any features back to the version of WMC that we are using with win 10.

As I recall I updated to win 7 SP1 and then shortly after that there was an update in the fall that took away sports and Internet TV.

3. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    #8703 jachin99, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Just to backup what crash is asking, I have already been able to bring back sports BUT i have to use Media Center Studio to do it. I have also been able to create a few sports database files but I think the referential integrity is broken in my guide data, which means some of the tiles in the sports strip (On Later, Scores, RSS Feeds) don't show anything because MS stopped supporting them. Right now, I'm using a program called store explorer to view the guide data in WMC database, and it looks to me like restoring the sports strip is a matter of building guide data that restores database integrity. Right now, I'm looking for a way to restore the sports menu strip WITHOUT using Media Center studio but I need some help to do this. There is a thread over on Thegreenbutton.TV that is a year old where I describe all of my attempts. This project really needs someone with experience to help out.

4. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
  5. atlanta9800

atlanta9800 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2015
    I am having a different Decoder Error Problem. Have 2 desktops running V 8.8.1 perfectly either live or recorded TV. However if I copy a program recorded on one PC to the other PC and try to play it in Media Centre I get the Decoder Error message.
    The recorded program will play, without error, in Media Player. Any ideas would be appreciated

6. NEMEO

NEMEO MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2015
    Is one of your machines on Windows 10 1803?

I have upgraded to 1803 and Media Center will not play any .wtv files recorded on v1703 and earlier (decoder error) - even those recorded by a different PC.

7. paulsk58

paulsk58 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2009
    I see the same problem with 1803. The good news is that any programs recorded with WMC in 1803 do play back properly.
    I guess I will live with using Windows Media Player to play the older recordings until someone finds a fix.

8. Joni

Joni MDL Junior Member

May 28, 2009
    Does remote green button work on 1803?

9. atlanta9800

atlanta9800 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2015

10. atlanta9800

atlanta9800 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2015
    I have one PC on Win 10 Pro 1803 17133.1 (Windows Insider Fast)
    The other is on Win 10 Home 1709 16299.334
    It is the recordings from the Home machine copied to the Pro machine that give the Decoder Error. Files copied the other way are fine.
    And no the Green button does not work on 1803

11. paulsk58

paulsk58 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2009
    I am running 1803 and if you run the script provided by StefanR in post 8409 (I run it at logon in the Task Scheduler), both the tray icon for recording in progress and the green button function.

12. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Anyone else seen the clock not update during playback? T-S's 8.8.1 in use, windowed mode because it's the creator's update and you can't disable full screen optimizations without chicanery I'm not willing to indulge in.. Noticed a couple of hours into playback last night that the clock still showed the time that was either when I launched eshell.exe or shortly thereafter. System clock and other applications show the right time. Not that it's any biggy but I've never seen anything like it.

13. propwash

propwash MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2008
    I am a little confused by the problems some have been seeing. I had the issue of WMC (version t-s 8.8.1) freezing when full-screen way back when 1709 came out. After (me) wildly guessing, someone here suggested the fixes of disabling full-scren optimisation and over-riding high DPI - and it's been rock-solid for 6 months. Every Windows update has been installed without problem. I've not even seen any decoder issues. Everything just works...

HOWEVER yesterday's 2018-04 patch (KB4093112) broke something and today it was back to WMC freezing. Nothing I did fix ited. In the end, after a refresh of Windows and a re-install of WMC it's ok again. (After taking a system image i even tried the 2018-04 patch and it's still ok. Strange - but I half expect it to break in the next few days.)

My machine is an i3 with integrated Intel HD graphics (looking at the driver, an old one from 2015!).

I'd rather keep it working on Win 10 but if it comes to it I suppose I could roll back to 8.1 Pro (if the licence is still valid.)

The reason I persist with WMC is it is still after all this time the easiest, best-looking PVR software. As someone wrote above, alternatives just don't cut it (NextPVR comes closest but there are some strange UI choices, Mediaportal isn't as good as it thinks it is, Kodi's PVR is clearly an afterthought and Sichbo is alright but feels too basic.)

14. jspenc3

jspenc3 MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2015
    Emby is also slowly coming together, but I still agree with you for now.

15. phoebeuk

phoebeuk MDL Member

Jun 8, 2016
    #8715 phoebeuk, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    There is a need for a better fix for the decoder error messages on 1803 because the suggested registry hacks don't work in every instance. The values being entered (at least in the posts I've seen) don't refer to the installed alternative Audio and Video decoders for everybody. Perhaps it depends on which codec pack(s) you have installed?

Anyway, I have encountered so many problems with broken programs and services while upgrading to 1803 that I reverted to 1709 until further notice. I have too many things I need to keep working on for me to stop and "Experience Windows 10" without actually being able to do anything useful on it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. phoebeuk

phoebeuk MDL Member

Jun 8, 2016
    As for alternatives to WMC for the long haul, I'm looking into a hardware solution by purchasing a Freeview Plus box (available in the UK) which I can network to my PC and transfer recorded TV files. Unfortunately there is no way to transfer metadata between the box and the PC so creating this for the new recordings has to be done manually on a case by case basis.

The other big downside is that HD content is encrypted and can't be viewed on the PC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Does the encryption have a name over there?

Like over here they call it digital Rights Management DRM for short and the specific software that is used to encrypt it is called play Ready

18. NoDRM4Me

NoDRM4Me MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2018
    Long time lurker, first time poster sharing my experience here. I've successfully have WMC working on Windows 10 Pro with an HDHomeRun Prime and cablecard. I was going to post how but it seems you need 5 posts in order to post links. lol

19. NoDRM4Me

NoDRM4Me MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2018
    DRM is a standard, it's called DRM everywhere as that's what it is. Digital Rights Management.

20. NoDRM4Me

NoDRM4Me MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2018
    I still have some issues with DRM because I'm running a 1050Ti video card that will not accept and install a video driver due to Windows not being updated. lol.. But at least it works for the most part. Anyone else able to get this working on Win10 with a cablecard and all DRM channels?