[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. WGMaker

WGMaker MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2016

Some people use loadmxf which is free.

2. Angelone

Angelone MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2017
    So, here we go again. (after W10 1803)
    Tried the whole sequence many times, using WMC_6.3.9600.16384_x64_v12.7z as before, as admin :

uninstaller, reboot, _TestRights, Installer, reboot...
    WMC did not start for the first 3 tries, every time the Event Viewer showing the same 2 errors as Royorlev above. Also, I do not see a MSVidCtl.dll file in system32 or in ehome, it only shows up in Old_Windows in a SxS folder.

At my 4th try, WMC starts up in a very small window, I can just read the 2 options (Express or Custom), and there it hangs. No Event errors.

At my 5th try, it starts up in a full screen window, "Get Started" it shouts, not reacting to mouse nor keyboard, and there it dies. No Event errors.

Also, no trace of the WMC background services in the "Services" list.

(Why do they hate us so much)

3. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Sounds like Windows is unprepared to render video then if the video control DLL is missing. I'd try the alternative branch 8.8.1 installer as it includes the DVD player to install the codecs WMC needs to run.

4. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    #8825 j.c.f., May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Guess your browser must be playing tricks on you because I've downloaded it twice on two different machines and I see the new 5.1 version. Ahh, just re-read your post. No I hadn't updated the text file. It is now...

5. Angelone

Angelone MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2017
    6th try :
    I first tried to restore to W10 pre-1803 (because a remark above gave me some hope this could work). It just restored to a clean 1803, previous restore points not available.
    Then I installed v12 for the 6th time... And now it worked !! And at the same time EPG seems to work again !!
    Quickly restored my schedules and my epg123 connection, just in time for my daily recordings.
    No DLL replacements needed, no codecs missing...
    So : if it does not work after 5 tries, try a 6th time.

6. MethKillsKids

MethKillsKids MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2016
    Wow epic solution.

Also anyone have their WMC remote not function like it used to after the upgrade to 1803? Oddly enough now it launches my sichbopvr when I hit media center green button, which is nice, but I can't seem to control volume anymore-- which is a powerful necessity in a remote.

7. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    hi j.c.f
    i downloaded it again and the txt file says version 5.1 05/16/18 this time but still the same thing happens, minimising MCE and unminimising

8. WGMaker

WGMaker MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2016
    Works fine here

9. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
  10. WGMaker

WGMaker MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2016
    Although I am still very happy with WMC (I use it mainly for DVBS2 reception) even in W10 1803 , I was looking around for an alternative again because I fear that WMC will loose compatibility with W10 . (I have a test WMC 8.8.1 setup working on a redundant MS Surface Pro1, which installed without problems after replacing the MSVidCtl.dll. I can play old and new recordings, receive and record DVBS2 channels and can choose between guide data provided by WMC or by importing from Webgrabplus ) For now only one minor thing is missing, the recording thumbnails)

The most attractive alternative I found is the very simple DVBViewer. I use it now and then if I need to readjust my Sat disk, and found that it does a lot more than you might think from 'viewer' in its name. It has a lot of features that are also found in WMC. As in WMC it can import xmltv guide data if you are not happy with the guide provided through the dvb stream. Your WMC remote control should also work .. etc.

11. mmortal03

mmortal03 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2017
    See, I'm using it in combination with ServerWMC to serve the recordings to all my machines (using Kodi ServerWMC add-on), so I'd need a server replacement, too, that could schedule the recordings with guide information and all of that. This seems harder to replace. It'd also be cool to have an all-in-one Linux based alternative. I know there are standalone devices such as SiliconDust HDHomeRun Connect series, but I don't recall them having the guide information for free. I'll have to check back into that.

12. JDDautel

JDDautel MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2015
    Just updated to 1803 and did the Uninstall/Reinstall on WMC and everything works except live TV "stutters" with choppy audio and video rendering BUT if I open YouTube in Chrome and play a video (on mute) WMC works great. As soon as I close the Youtube tab or minimize the Chrome window, the stuttering starts back up. Interestingly enough, If I open YouTube in Edge, it has no impact.

There appears to be a driver or service that Chrome uses in YouTube that is required to make Live TV playback run smoothly. Any Ideas?

13. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Is the difference that you've got WMC in a window when you're playing stuff in Chrome and full screen otherwise? Multiple issues noted in the last few pages with full screen like disabling full screen optimizations and so on.

14. JDDautel

JDDautel MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2015
    No, I have WMC running in a window, not full screen. It's stops stuttering as soon as the YouTube video starts playing. It appears that something Chome loads to play a YouTube video fixes the WMC issue, but I don't know what it is.

15. mmortal03

mmortal03 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2017
    I wonder if it's something like Intel SpeedStep, or Power Throttling in Windows 10, or something with your power profile changing when you upgraded. Only the last one would likely apply to your situation, though -- given that you weren't having the problem in previous Windows 10 versions. It's making me think that playback is erroneously not triggering a higher performance CPU state, but having two videos playing makes it kick into a higher gear? Really odd issue. Another idea is that Chrome is using hardware acceleration with your GPU, kicking it into a higher gear? Maybe try disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome, restart it, and then see if playback of the silent video in the background still provides the same result?

16. WGMaker

WGMaker MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2016
    WebGrab+Plus runs in Linux as well as in Windows, so if your Linux PVR solution supports xmltv guide import that side of your search for alternative is covered.

17. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
  18. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    #8839 j.c.f., May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Wow, you can see the search for processes just blow right by C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe, that's a real headscratcher. Only difference on my machine is my shortcut has all lower case (so c:\windows\ehome\ehshell.exe) for which I deliberately had to use the stricmp() to ignore the case, I can't imagine that is somehow failing because the cases are the same. You have an extender running that I don't however that's not going to interfere with Launcher (at least at the stage of looking for processes). I guess if you had leading or trailing spaces in there that HTML is nicely not showing the presence of that could do it as the code blithely assumes once it's found the separating space the name of the process must be the next character, guess I'll toss a white space eater in there. I was thinking that perhaps your machine was using another character set and so conversions between wide characters and 8 bit ones was responsible but that sure doesn't look like the case. I'll think about it for while and if nothing else occurs to me release a version that at least eats multiple spaces between the window coordinates and the executable name and stuffs some angle brackets around the name when it spews it so we can see any spaces that might be there.

Yeah, beyond there being stack corruption in there and the routine that finds processes somehow looses it's copy of the name of the process to find it has to be some sort of white space issue so the diagnostics in 5.3 have angle brackets around the names we'll see if there's some trailing space in there.

19. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Hmmm, I dont have any extenders though...
    I tried with lowercase, no joy.
    in windows 7 you could right click on the taskbar program "tab" and select move and move the window... not in win 10 :(
    Thanks for your time on this, I have been looking for something to do this, as it's a PITA having to move the window everytime, you are so close.