[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Way ahead of you, already pinned the WMC Launcher shortcut to the taskbar :)
    Is there a way to manually move the WMC window to not show the top pixel, like i mentioned before, the old right click and move?

2. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Sure, it's now a shift right click on the taskbar icon.

3. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    #8863 Bigal, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    sweet, Thank you, I can use the arrow keys with the ctrl key, to move it one pixel at a time, but I cant figure out how to release it once in the correct position.
    Thank you for all your time on this, its sooo much easier now.
    why didnt it work for me on my system then?

4. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    A mouse click releases the movement on my machine. Just discovered the old method of right clicking on a aero-peek image of window still works, the shift-right-click is only for an icon. Looks like if I try and release a window with it's title bar off screen it moves back on. Not sure you're going to find a solution other than Launcher to move something off the screen.

5. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    thats what i thought, the same thing happens for me, I will just use ypur launcher, thanks again

6. sivartk

sivartk MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2016
    Thanks, that worked for me, too. I was having the same issue. My file version was dated Feb 2018. I renamed the new version NSVidCtl_1803.dll just in case I need it again. The hardest part was taking ownership to actually overwrite the file.

I'm seriously looking into a Plex Pass and using their service as I have a dedicated 24/7 server that runs Plex and is powerful enough to handle the TV tuning, too. Granted, I'd have to buy a new tuner card. Now one thing I can't live without is the 30 second skip feature. I'm not sure if Plex DVR has that or not.

7. boossy

boossy MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2016
    Hi,

happy that WMC still works on the april update, but sad indeed that the thumbnails don't appear. In fact, the TVThumbs.db file remains empty.

If I add the TV Recordings from my Win10 machine on a Win7 machine with WMC, the old recordings appear with a thumbnail, but new recording only show the blue rectangular on the Win7 machine.

So I suppose that even if someone succeeds in restoring the thumbnails in Win10, that they will only appear for old recordings, not new ones.

I still wonder what the difference is between a .wtv file dating before the update and a .wtv file recorded after the update...

8. darkradeon

darkradeon MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    On version 1803 WMC 8.8.1 is unstable even on a clean installation, at least on my setup (maybe it's an AMD video drivers fault?): BSOD, crashes, black screen, no audio or no video, stuttering. Tried to disable dynamic v-sync, freesync, to set the screen at 60Hz, to disable shader cache, to change the compatibility settings, to disable fullscreen optimization, nothing change: doesn't run well on bot windowed and fullscreen modes.

I am currently using MPC-HC though it is a lot less usable and it doesn't support channels of difference bandwidth (7 vs 8 Mhz, aka VHF vs UHF channels, which is an issue on some countries that are still using some VHF frequencies for DVB-T) and the interface sucks.

9. WGMaker

WGMaker MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2016
    I am using 1803 WMC 8.8.1 for a couple of weeks now, and none of these problems. dvb-s2, tuning, epg, (scheduling) recording etc. Full screen or in window, remote control, the lot. Only the thumbnail issue.

Maybe dvbviewer is an alternative for you if you can't get it to work.

10. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Has anyone tried to install this on Windows 10 "Lite"? If its a stripped down version of the OS then it might not include playready, or some of the other things in windows 10 that have caused trouble for cablecard users. Just a thought

11. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    One more thing, if your looking for plugins or addons for WMC, then quote my post or just let me know. There are quite a few out there but I think everyone has forgotten they all exist.

12. darkradeon

darkradeon MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    What graphics card do you have?

13. radams

radams MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2016
    I'm having the thumbnail problem too as I posted awhile ago on Win 1803. I have two nvidia based EVGA Titan X cards running in SLI. (WMC v8.8.1)

14. jgmack

jgmack MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2015
    What is meant by the thmbnail problem?

15. nwtim

nwtim MDL Novice

May 4, 2013
    With support for Windows 7 and WMC ending in 2020, I've been looking for a way to extend my use of similar functionality - being able to record "copy many" flagged (non-premium) encrypted cable channels delivered to the PC via a HDHomeRun Prime (also have two Duals for OTA). I have not found a non-WMC solution that does what I want as well as WMC, and since Microsoft is not going to support the use of WMC in Win10 and they have committed to supporting Windows 8 with WMC through 2023, I'm looking to go that route.

I've got Windows 8.1 Pro and just haven't installed it yet. Can WMC still be added to Windows 8.1 now that it is no longer considered current? At least that way I would have MS support until 2023 at which time hopefully these non-MS alternatives have a better functioning cable DVR.

16. radams

radams MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2016
    See post 8802.

17. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    These installers also work for win 8.

18. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Yeah, the thing I found out about the HDHomeRun Duals (the HDHR3-US specifically) was that they didn't have the CPU horsepower to talk the later HTTP protocols that MediaPortal and the like use. So not being prepared to fork out bucks for new tuners means sticking with WMC, for me at least. I have no trouble with the 8.8.1 installer (that will work with win8.1 but I think I'd shoot myself if I had to use win8.1's desktop experience), I use it in a window with my launcher so it's effectively a full screen experience but one that you can move your mouse beyond the WMC window (that I admit only has meaning if you have multiple displays but sure feels crippling if you do). Just upgraded one of my machines to 1803 and yes, replacing MSVidCtl.DLL was a bit of pain (taking ownership of it is one thing but then if you've run WMC recently the DLL will still be loaded in memory so you have to reboot and replace it before doing anything else -- assuming you had the foresight to set aside the old MSVidCtl.DLL before upgrading to 1803). Yes, thumbnails of recorded videos are missing, still better than forking out however many hundred dollars are needed for some new tuners ;)

19. Kataclisman

Kataclisman MDL Novice

May 19, 2016
    #8879 Kataclisman, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    hello,
    i've made this exe file with winrar for making the wmc setup easier and faster and it could be usefull also to someone else.

what this file do?:

- fixes wmc launcher using T "teletext" key or any other remote key. (i use teletext key for open wmc because, using the standard green key, when i'm watching tv for example... if i press the green key it doesn't go to the wmc main menu)

- restores the old version of MSVidCtl.dll

- restores the compatibility tab on ehshell.exe

- removes WTV Recorded folder from Movie Library

how it works?:

after installed WMC,
    launch the wmc.exe file, go to windows\ehome, click on run.bat as administrator and reboot.... or you can follow the instruction below:

make a copy of ehshell.exe and call it for example ehshell2.exe
    create a shortcut to ehshell2.exe (on the desktop)
    click on properties of ehshell2.exe shortcut and you find the compatibility tab (also shown in ehshell2.exe properties).
    always on the properties of the shortcut there are the shortcut key options and you can chose to open it with the CTRL + ALT + 0 (in this case) just pressing CTRL key and 0 key on the keyboard.
    the registry remote kay map is here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
    you can remap the remote keys using the teletext key for open wmc instead the green key. (remotemod.reg)
    you can also use free software like advanced mce remote mapper for change the combination of the shortcut key options (CTRL + ALT + 0) and also chose which remote key use for open wmc.
    if you have problem you need to change the permissions on the regedit folder: 745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
    i've also included a reg file for the original wmc remote key map. (remotewmc.reg)

for MSVidCtl.dll
    open cmd as administrator and type
    takeown /f c:\windows\system32\MSVidCtl.dll /a
    now rename or delete the new dll file and you can paste the old one.

launch wtvlibrary.reg if you want remove recorded tv folder from the movie library

note:
    the shortcut icon of windows media center should be placed on desktop for working good. if you leave the link into ehome folder it doesn't start.

you can download the exe file from onedrive:
    1drv.ms/u/s!Ap83iPk9wy_nhJNlGJ1tMyUuhfVbpw

20. WkWk

WkWk MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2016
    Hi Guys,
    long time user of wmc on windows 10
    I too have experienced choppy playback on the new version. Ages ago there was a small exe that allowed you to change the decoding codecs called MCDU (google it + codecs and you'll find it on digital lifestyle)
    haven't tried it yet but may be worth a try to see if it's decoder related