[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Delphiwizard

Delphiwizard MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    Many thanks, same here, auto method didn't do it, manual method did.
    Any chance of this being added to the installers in the future?

2. guho

guho MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2012
    I got

Windows Media Center version 6.3.9600.16384 (Windows 8.1)
    for Windows 10 (10.10240.16384) and later, or Windows 8.1 with no Media Center

v12 working with hdhomerun prime cable card on two PCs. This is to confirm that it can still work on 1511. I believe that is the last w10 under which it is still possible.

3. fourwhey

fourwhey MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2018
    I have a Ceton InifiTV4 PCIE tuner. Has anyone succeeded in making it work with Windows 10? Media Center doesn't seem to be able to detect the card.

The drivers are installed and its diagnostic app works like it did in Windows 8.1.

4. Andrew Gill

Andrew Gill MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2017
    I've got a Win10 PC here that I have had to make some changes to over the journey, and I've managed to get WMC v6.3.9600.16384 working.

But now it seems that every time there's any form of upgrade from Microsoft to Win10, WMC disappears and I've got to go through the whole process again, with varying success.

Initially, on an older PC, I had it working first shot - great stuff.

But after the motherboard died, I had it repaired and the fun really began to start. WMC had great difficulty picking up the program guide for ANY postcode (in Australia). Trying to get it to scan for channels seemed impossible without a guide to go by (if anyone has any ideas I'm all eyes and ears). After about 10 attempts, it managed to pickup a guide, and then picked up all the channels in the first scan - fantastic.

Last night, the machine started having some problems under a bit of load (2 login sessions running, a lot of background processes, etc). If you tried to open a webpage, around half the channels gave a highly pixelated/interference-like display making it unwatchable until the page was fully drawn - it it contained embedded, it was continually poor. Simplest thing to do was shutdown all other user sessions, and work from there - no joy. Next step was a full reboot (where I took an update which looked a lot like 1803). After the lengthy update, I had another go.

The update resulted in WMC getting clobbered again, reinstalled it, then reached the guide download where I'm now again stuck - well past the 10 attempts of last time.

I'm really thinking there has to be a better alternative to WMC at this point, but want to keep going!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

5. Andrew Gill

Andrew Gill MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2017
    #8925 Andrew Gill, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    I've got a Win10 PC here that I have had to make some changes to over the journey, and I've managed to get WMC v6.3.9600.16384 working.

But now it seems that every time there's any form of upgrade from Microsoft to Win10, WMC disappears and I've got to go through the whole process again, with varying success.

But after the motherboard died, I had it repaired and the fun really began to start. WMC had great difficulty picking up the program guide for ANY postcode (in Australia). Trying to get it to scan for channels seemed impossible without a guide to go by (if anyone has any ideas I'm all eyes and ears). After about 10 attempts, it managed to pickup a guide, and then picked up all the channels in the first scan - fantastic.

Last night, the machine started having some problems under a bit of load (2 login sessions running, a lot of background processes, etc). If you tried to open a webpage, around half the channels gave a highly pixelated/interference-like display making it unwatchable until the page was fully drawn - it it contained embedded video, it was continually poor. Simplest thing to do was shutdown all other user sessions, and work from there - no joy. Next step was a full reboot (where I took an update

Last night, the machine started having some problems under a bit of load (2 login sessions running, a lot of background processes, etc). If you tried to open a webpage, around half the channels gave a highly pixelated/interference-like display making it unwatchable until the page was fully drawn - it it contained embedded video, it was continually poor. Simplest thing to do was shutdown all other user sessions, and work from there - no joy. Next step was a full reboot (where I took an update KB4023057). After the lengthy update, I had another go.

The update resulted in WMC getting clobbered again, reinstalled it, then reached the guide download where I'm now again stuck - well past the 10 attempts of last time.

I'm really thinking there has to be a better alternative to WMC at this point, but want to keep going!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Details:
    Gigabyte H170-HD3
    i5-6600 3.3 GHz
    8.00Gb RAM
    no video card - using dual Dell U2311H screens via onboard video (DVI & RGB)
    Hauppauge Nova-DT Dual DVB-T tuner card
    Samsung SSD840
    WD Black 1Gb

6. Miles Thompson

Miles Thompson MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2018

7. Miles Thompson

Miles Thompson MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2018
    I am/was a fan of WMC, yes it is now old and unloved and slowly but surely fades as support dropped for it on Windows 10, I think it is great that people have tried to keep it going in its current form and been so inventive in doing so.
    I have tried many other open source media centres and many are very good, but somehow non of them offer the superb TV experience that WMC even now still can.

There are a lot of fans out there still, what I think would be awesome is if Windows released the source code to allow the community to pick up where they left off, or, if they will not do that a community project to build an open source replica (that does not get carried away and turn into another media portal or kodi)

8. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    Disable updates?

9. dr spock

dr spock MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2015
    #8930 dr spock, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Turning off Focus Assist is also fixes high GPU usage on Intel CPU graphics (UHD 600 on an Celeron J4005 for me). The interface was so laggy as to be unusable otherwise.

Edit: disregard that, its still unusable fullscreen. Reading back it seems Windows feature updates broke lots of things. Anyone found any solutions to fullscreen issues (other than using a launcher to make windowed mode 'appear' fullscreen?

10. manintan

manintan MDL Novice

May 9, 2017
    Is there a new isntaller?

After last update had to reinstall WMC, installed it and clicking it does nothing. Also tried uninstalling, then reinstalling the files are there but nothing happens when clicking the exe.

11. vanklod

vanklod MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2016
    Same problem here. Hope to see a solution. Really just using WMC to watch live football but skip commercials - any other good solutions for that?

12. CZ Eddie

CZ Eddie MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2016
    Should I use V8 or V12 for Windows 8.1 Pro?

I tried V12 in a VM and am having various issues .

13. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Why not upgrade to ProWMC :thinking:?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. CZ Eddie

CZ Eddie MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2016
    I would if I could.
    The pro pack is very hard to find and very expensive now, when you can find it.

15. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Ocur.JPG

I don't know if anyone has gotten this far with cablecard but it appears as though I have made some progress getting WMC to recognize cablecard tuners in build 1803. I merged some registry keys from a working WMC 7 install in order to do this. When I open WMC though, I still get an error message when trying to setup live TV. I used this same method to install WMC on WHS 2011, and it worked. I think all I really have to do is get the guide, and live TV tiles active on the start menu, and I'll be able to view live TV but I'm not sure. I was able to get this far WITHOUT installing playready. I don't have any DRM'd channesl on my cable subscription. If this is new, or shows some progress I would welcome any help I can get. Thanks.

16. tannerjim

tannerjim MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2015
    New PC....no longer able to get MCE to play TV shows. I have an older PC running MCE, that does all the recording...this Windows 10 PC is just a client, reading the recorded files off network drive. It has worked for years...now this. Any advice?

Error message is:

Video Error
    Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or restart the computer

17. DataMeister

DataMeister MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2018
    I just had the same thing happen just before the weekend and assumed it was something I did. I had been messing around experimenting with the Channels DVR and Plex for the HDHomeRun Premium TV service. I was about to wipe the drive and reinstall to see if that fixed it. Weird that it would happen at almost the same time unless maybe it was one of Channels DVR's beta patches.

Anything you've done recently similar to me?

18. tannerjim

tannerjim MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2015
    Well, I also have Plex and HDHomerun installed. Wonder if there is a conflict??