[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. amp323

amp323 MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2017
    I'm sure this has been addressed before, but this site keeps crashing when I try to go through pages. Just how stable are these ports? I'm building a new HTPC to replace my current one and after digging through the web have realized that there are no workarounds to get Windows 7 running on Ryzen APUs. As such, I'd either have to stick to with my current setup or upgrade to Bristol Ridge. So, again, my issue is just how stable are these ports and which one would be best for me to use with a Ceton infiniTV4/6? On another note, I read the 8.1 drivers for Ceton would work on Windows 10, is this true?

2. budgynana

budgynana MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2017
    Edit: misread the post, anyway WMC works fine for me on Win10 - other than the issued mentioned above, which went away.

3. Stephen Bedford

Stephen Bedford MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2018
    #9004 Stephen Bedford, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    I have the same problem. Did a clean install of Windows 10, then did a 8.8.2 install of MCE. All seems to be working well except music. If I select any song to play from the music library MCE closes. If I select a song in File Explorer and choose to play in MCE the song plays OK but if I select the same song from the MCE music library MCE closes immediately. I have MCE on Windows 7 and 8.1 machines and they both work fine.

My music library is on the local drive C where Windows 10 is installed.

4. Stephen Bedford

Aug 31, 2018
    I am a novice here. Should have quoted the original post in my reply. This was my reply to the post above.

I have the same problem. Did a clean install of Windows 10, then did a 8.8.2 install of WMC. All seems to be working well except music. If I select any song to play from the music library WMC closes. If I select a song in File Explorer and choose to play in WMC the song plays OK but if I select the same song from the WMC music library WMC closes immediately. I have WMC on Windows 7 and 8.1 machines and they both work fine.
    My music library is on the local drive C where Windows 10 is installed.

5. Stephen Bedford

Aug 31, 2018
    Have done some investigation on this and found a work around, not a solution. Firstly the music library is OK until you get over 636 songs in the library. Over that number it causes WMC to close. You can get around this if you turn off the 'Retrieve CD album art, media information for DVDs and movies, and internet Services from the internet' in the Automatic Downloads options in WMC general settings. So the problem is a combination of the number of songs in the library and trying to access song data from the internet.

Hope this helps someone find a better solution.

6. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    WMC gets its music library from wmp, have you checked the songs play from there ok and that the database isn't corrupted and that file permissions are ok?

7. atlanta9800

atlanta9800 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2015
    WMP shows and plays all music without problem, the same for VLC

As post 9007 above, I can also use File Explorer to select a single music file, then Open with WMC, and it will play as normal within the WMC interface including album art, animations, etc

I can't try the poster's suggestion of 636 files as my library is a total of 97GB with 1303 Folders containing 17,626 files

8. Stephen Bedford

Aug 31, 2018
    Did you try turning off the 'Retrieve CD album art, media information for DVDs and movies, and internet Services from the internet' in the Automatic Downloads options in WMC general settings'.

9. atlanta9800

atlanta9800 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2015
    You are a genius, may Santa grant all your Xmas wishes

Thanks again

10. Stephen Bedford

Aug 31, 2018
    A week ago I purchase an Intel NUC i5 8th gen with Iris plus graphics 655. Initially got it all working except for a couple of problems with the music library and full screen freezing. Got over the full screen freezing by disabling full screen optimisation as suggested in this thread. So all was good until Windows 10 decided to do the October update yesterday. After this I had to uninstall and reinstalled WMC using the 8.8.2 installer. This worked in that I can now run WMC again but not full screen. Everything works fine in a window but full screen freezes. I disabled full screen optimisation on EHSHELL.exe and also applied a regedit patch to the GAMEDRV_FSEBehaviour. No joy. The strange thing is if in full screen and frozen and you press the windows keyboard key that brings up the start menu full screen WMC in the background starts working perfectly. If you escape from the start menu WMC full screen freezes again. I have tried every option I can in the Intel graphics control panel but can't get over this issue.

Any help greatly appreciated as this issue is stopping me being able to use WMC on my new machine.

11. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Yeah, I got distinctly weird behavior using a separate drive for recording and reverted to letting WMC use the system drive and copying stuff to the big old data drive when they're done.

12. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    @Stephen Bedford
    I have never used WMC full screen, even back in 2002. It hogs the kb and mouse, just run it windowed and use
    Launcher by j.c.f. version 6.0.2 06/01/18, its in his signature above

13. mmortal03

mmortal03 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2017
    I just saw the FireTV Recast DVR. It's pretty cool for an OTA TV DVR. It basically does what I currently do over WiFi with a netbook, Windows Media Center, ServerWMC, and Kodi, but with an extra tuner, and no configuration. It doesn't require a subscription, so Amazon may be providing the guide information for free?

14. alexnt

alexnt MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Hi
    I reinstalled wmc 881 because of 1803 update and now I get black screen in wmc when I change channel in live tv.
    I have to press stop and play again

15. salute

salute MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Hi

I am using DVBLink virtual tuners inside WMC since years without any problems. After updating from Win 10 1709 to Win 10 1809 I had to reinstall WMC. I've used the newest version 8.8.2 of the WMC install packages. The Tuners are discovered, the channels and EPG data are transferred correctly. But I cannot start Live TV. The play button is grayed out. Anyone knows how I could solve or debug this problem?

16. weehuddy

weehuddy MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2015
    Hey just had the same issue. MSVidCtl.dll in the system32, i had to change user permission inorder to rename and replace. Look for wmc.exe about 5 pages back to get a copy of the file. i cannot post link.

17. atlanta9800

atlanta9800 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2015
    Do a clean install of 8.8.2, it fixed these problems for me in Windows 10 Ver 1809

18. cue1boy

cue1boy MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2011
    Trying to read all 400 plus pages to find my answer but can't. Is this WMC in French ? If so how do I change it so the GUI is all in English ? Thank you.

19. salute

salute MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    It's multilanguage. I think the language will be the same as your system language.