[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. mmortal03

mmortal03 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2017
    I don't know if it will help, but there are alternative IP addresses out there to put in your hosts file that have helped people in the past. Do a google search for "data.tvdownload.microsoft.com" and try the IP addresses that people have suggested.

2. marcustaz

marcustaz MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2010
    EPG123 is 100x better for accurate guide data. Well worth the subscription and donation to EPG123 creator

3. marcustaz

marcustaz MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2010
    Alternate IP will not help as MS is discontinuing the service ...

4. ktide1

ktide1 MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2016

Just go with EPG123 and never look back. You won't regret it.

Spot on. No need to drive yourself nuts dealing with MS anymore. EPG123 + Schedule Direct is the ticket, at least in the US.

5. pmikep

pmikep MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2018
    Host files are the same (untouched) in my Win7 and Win8.1.

I realize that the final answer is to go with EPG123. But now it's a puzzle as to why WMC downloads the EPG in Win7 but doesn't in Win8.1. (I checked to see if my firewall was blocking it. Doesn't appear to be.)

I did a cursory comparison of the ehome directory in Win7 and those put in by 8.8.2 in Win8.1. They appear to be the same.

I might try copying over the Win7 ehome to Win8.1 to see if that changes anything.

6. pioneerfreq

pioneerfreq MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2019
    Greetings,

By this afternoon, I will have a freshly imaged, Windows 8.1 pro system with all updates applied. I will be using a Hauppauge Wintv-hvr-2255 but only for composite video capture from a set top cable box. I prefer the k-lite codec pack as opposed to shark007 so I will install that as well. Which WMC install should I use to hopefully avoid the "copying prohibited" DRM issue with live TV?

Thanks in advance!

7. pioneerfreq

pioneerfreq MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2019
    #9068 pioneerfreq, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    I'm not sure I understand what this means.

As far as I know, Shark007 has two installs available: Advanced and Standard so are you saying I should install the Standard?

So, should I use the 8.8.1 or 12.7 WMC install?

8. pioneerfreq

pioneerfreq MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2019
    On Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?

9. marcustaz

marcustaz MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2010
    Someone with knowledge please help me out. I continue to get system files modified when trying to watch DRM content. I have a virgin install of 1511, the latest French installer and everything works perfect except DRM. I've gone through the reset DRM process WMC setup let it auto download Playready etc but still this issue when trying to play DRM. Thanks in Advance for any help.

10. test10

test10 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2015
    On both. I use Windows 8.1 for my HTPC, and Windows 10 on my laptop.

I use an OTA tuner with an antenna so no DRM stuff.

11. wizeone

wizeone MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2016
    i hope someone can help me!!

my main hard drive(m2 ssd) ran out of room so i got a new one and did a fresh install of win 10 pro(1809). i downloaded and install 8.8.2 and wmc starts, but when i try to setup live tv it tells me no tuners found, but yet in the registry(Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\ehPrivJob\LocalPbdaSWTunerDevices) it shows all 3 tuners of my hdhomerunprime.

is there any hope, i have tried looking through alot of threads but havent been able to find something that makes any headway.

thanks in advance.

12. marcustaz

marcustaz MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2010
    I gave up on 1809 and installed a, copy of 1511 and disabled updates Fixed the tuner issue, able to watch TV now but no DRM, I get the System Files Modified...

13. pioneerfreq

pioneerfreq MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2019
    Same here. Before installing codecs, I get "codec error" after installing codecs, I get "copying prohibited" (DRM) error with live TV.

14. marcustaz

marcustaz MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2010
    I wish I got the copying prohibited I get System Files modified and the only way to use WMC after that is to shut it down and restart it. I've tried the Win DVD player shark007 codecs to no avail Wish someone with knowledge would post with a solution. Trying to read through 400+ pages and or using the search function has not yielded any definitive results for me. . :(

15. pmikep

pmikep MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2018
    So, for grins I copied the ehome directory from my Win7 (where the EPG still updates) to Win8.1 (where the EGP no longer updates.)

(I renamed the old ehome in Win8.1 so that I could get it back if needed.)

When I run WMC in Win8.1, I get a message that I need to install .NET Framework 2.5/3. Which makes sense. But I don't want to do that.

I can't imagine that the EPG server is looking to see what version of .NET one had. So maybe the EPG server is sniffing the OS used?

In any event, as of this writing, I can still update the EPG from within Win7.

I'm curious if anyone running WMC in Win10 is still able to update the Guide? That would kind of affirm my hypothesis that the server is sniffing the OS.

16. ktide1

ktide1 MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2016
    You cannot use 1809 on cable card, period. This has been addressed many times in this thread already. Best bet for Windows 10 is probably 1511 - DO NOT UPDATE - you have to somehow lock down all updates. There are various ways, search the thread. Windows 10 updates will break cable card over and over again. If you can't deal with locked down updates, best bet is to drop back to Win 7 or 8.1.

17. marcustaz

marcustaz MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2010