[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. aquadextrous

aquadextrous MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2017
    Each version of Windows 10 still receives security fixes well beyond a newer version coming out. You will miss out on some features by not upgrading but you'll stay secure for some time. Windows 10 Pro has the option to defer these feature updates for up to 365 days, this is very handy. I have this set to 365 so i don't get surprise version updates and then see if there's bugs, issues etc and then install manually using the update tool when people have fund work-arounds and I feel the time is right. (Always backup before updating though, just in case!)

Windows 7 will stop receiving the security updates from January, so it will be less secure against new threats, though this risk is variable depending what you use your machine for other than WMC.

2. ssevan

ssevan MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2010
    Just figured out that pressing volume up or down on media center remote unfreezes wmc on windows 10 1809. So maybe sound causing freezing full screen.

3. mark frankland

mark frankland MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2019
    Thanks very much for the explanation. Do you think the excellent people working on this project will eventually get media center working on all the versions of windows 10 and we will still be able to use DVBLink.

4. aquadextrous

aquadextrous MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2017
    The guys here are very clever and I’m sure they’ll keep WMC running as long as possible. So grateful for their expertise and efforts.

Regarding DVBLink - it’s no longer an active product, so there will be no changes or fixes from its developers (even though they still sell it at full price, wtf?!). It was always an expensive product (I’m still using version 4 as I couldn’t bare to upgrade and pay so much) and so was never very popular, so I can’t imagine there’s many people with the problem we have with the 8.8.2 wmc installer. I’m just not clever enough to work out what stops DVBLink channels from playing and so just have to cope with the 8.8.1 installer and having to do all the fixes manually. It’s a faff but it works.

5. SpencerC

SpencerC MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    Any chance there has been support added for cable card tuners such as the HDHomeRun Prime?

6. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    I've tried it but I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the look & feel: even if it's "old fashioned", I really like the "straight to the point" experience offered by the default WMC guide, which is - IMO - an excellent compromise between showing too much data and too few.
    For instance, I'm not sure having a column for things like moods, characters and settings in the program details window is really that useful (it looks like unnecessary noise to me).

That said, I haven't played with the recent bits, so I'll definitely give it another try at some point :D

Oh yeah, please do: it's always good to have fresh content!

7. mark frankland

Apr 9, 2019
    Hi, Thanks but tried copying link into browser but not getting anything that looks like WMC.

8. mark frankland

Apr 9, 2019
    Regarding 1803 being the most stable to run WMC with DVBLink does it matter which version of 1803 because I see different versions and the ones I am looking at right now is RS4 1803.17134.48 and 1803.17134.590. Thanks.

9. aquadextrous

aquadextrous MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2017
    its definitely got a zip file there containing WMC 8.8.1 - I double checked on a machine where im not logged into onedrive and it still worked. Also noticed that the http isnt needed, so just select the link part and paste it into your address bar.

10. aquadextrous

aquadextrous MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2017
    No worries, hope you can finally get WMC with DVBLink working on W10 1809. I know that DVBLink was well supported until 2017, but as it's now discontinued there wont be any updates or fixes from DVBLogic to get it working with different versions of WMC. Even more annoying is that it's still full price - if they dropped the price right down i'm sure there's still a good few people who would want it for WMC - even for just the IPTV integration - though the tuning and management of all channels is much more straightforward than in WMC itself.

As for MMUI+ I really like this, great to have more information and features within WMC and love that issues relating to 4k resolution (chopped off text, warning messages etc) are fixed - but if anything I think it goes too far on the minimalism of some things - I use Media Center Themer to put a bit of colour back into the start strips using icons from the Modern8 Theme and add back in my own W10 style splash screen and icons etc. I wish there was a way to enable the 'aurora' effect or animations on backgrounds and the sparkles / sheen on selected items. The basic MMUI theme reminds me a bit too much of the 'high contrast mode' on standard WMC :'( As for the guide, it's a nice idea but everything is too massive on a 65" screen - so I use epg123 to override it with the normal WMC guide, but with tweaks to show 11 rows and 210 mins of guide data.

11. Gareth North

Gareth North MDL Junior Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi Aquadextous,

I don’t have a 4K display so didn’t know if ModernMediaUI+ suppresses the warnings about high res! Does it really? That’s really good! Does it do that without even installing the tweak pack called just ModernMediaUI minus the + ?

Yes I’m not a fan of the black theme either and have been using Media Center Themer as well to give it a better look. What I think you want back is the original Gleam on tiles when you have a tile active on the main media Center home screen.

There is a way of doing this by opening a copy of the original ehres.dll using a program called restorator and then opening a copy of the patched ehres.dll file and going through all the images that make up media Center looking for differences in the patched one and then dragg

12. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I actually restored a lot of the gleams using just media center themer. They took the original files that create the various gleams and edited them down to just one pixel so I did a resource dump via MC Themer to find all of the images that were just one pixel, and then did another resource dump of the stock ehres.dll and updated my Media Center Themer files accordingly. I can share if need be but I never completely finished it.

13. mark frankland

Apr 9, 2019
    Thanks , leaving out the http;// did the trick

14. aquadextrous

aquadextrous MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2017
    I’d be very grateful if you could share, especially if you managed to get the background aurora back :D

15. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Some of the images needed for the Aurora might be blacked out in that theme. Try doing a resource dump with media center themer and the stock theme without mmui enabled to get all of the original images. To do this find the media center themer registry entry and set log resources to 1. That should create a new folder under media center themer program data folder. The auora images are something like common.background.layer.grad and common.background.layer. some of those files are blacked out in my new theme