[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. bootloop

bootloop MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2016
    I was also getting decoder error following installation of Cumulative Update KB4495667 issued 3rd May. Replacing MSVidCtl.dll allowed earlier recordings to play in WMC (WMP was unaffected) but an new problem arose, there's now about 30 secs delay before either live tv or a recording will play. Just the empty blue MC screen, no spinning blue disk. Tried 3 different previous DLL files from Win 7, Win 8 and the one that worked fine in 10 before it was replaced in the update. OS Build is 17763.475. Anyone got any pointers?

2. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    @bootloop

that is *exactly* where I'm at. Like you, I've replaced MSVidCtl.dll with every version I have and it doesn't make any difference.

Are you using WMC 8.8.2 or 8.8.3?

The other issue is that I couldn't run WMC full screen even using launcher, which had been working fine until this update (same as my other PC).

3. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9224 technodevotee, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    I don't think WMC uses LDAP but it could be causing problems in another subsystem that has a knock on effect but it appears that not everyone has this problem.

What would be helpful is to know whether anyone with 8.8.2 has the same delay.

My other PC is running the *exact* same version of Windows but the hardware is completely different and has WMC 8.8.2 and it doesn't have the same delay.

I am understandably reluctant to make changes to it as it is basically working but it could be helpful in finding out what is causing the problem.

My main problem is that my Living Room PC is the centre of our digital universe and WMC is a nightmare to reinstall because it takes me at least three days to get it back to how it was, which is why I put off the upgrade for six months.

Rolling back to 8.8.2 may help but like a number of other people, I couldn't get it to start after the upgrade so I'm not hopeful there either.

4. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
  5. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Could you try 8.8.3?

@others
    no problem with Cumulative Update KB4495667 on my 1809 1763.475 build using 8.8.2

why do you guys run full screen? I run windowed using Launcher by j.c.f. version 6.0.1 05/24/18

6. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9227 technodevotee, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    When I was running WMC V12, I could have both WMC and Windows sound output set to 5.1 which meant that both WMC and other apps would play with glorious surround sound.

When I installed WMC 8.8.3, I had to set Windows sound output to stereo and WMC to 5.1 because I got stuttering, repeated audio otherwise.

So, I was comparing registry snapshots in Nirsoft's Registry Change Viewer and discovered something interesting:

There was a bunch of WMC entries in app paths including one for ehshell.exe In the old snapshot, which were not present in the new snapshot.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ehshell.exe]
    @="c:\\windows\\ehome\\ehshell.exe"
    "path"="c:\\windows\\ehome"
    I restored the missing registry entries, reinstated the newest version of MSVidCtl.dll in windows\system32 and rebooted.

Not only can I have both set to 5.1 again, I can also run WMC full screen again via launcher.

7. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    @technodevotee
    It is suggested to set windows sound to stereo, i find it a PITA coz when i play my games, windows sound needs to be in 5.1 to get proper surround from the games. when windows sound is set to 5.1 the sound from WMC only comes out in stereo, the amp wont process multi output to surround, as it thinks its already multi sound
    @bootloop
    I am running an lintel system but have never run full screen so dont know if there is a problem

Is anyone collating all these great tips?

8. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    @Bigal

When I was running V12 I always used to have *everything* in surround including WMC. We watch quite a lot of German TV on ASTRA 1 and a lot of their shows are in Dolby Digital Plus which is great for Pop and Classical Concerts.

Looking back at older registry snapshots, I can see that the entries I found appeared in March 2017. I vaguely remember messing about with app paths so maybe I created the entries and that was how I got it working.

I've been to bed since then.

It will be nice to have it back as it was before.

9. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    #9231 Bigal, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    i imported your reg entries into my system, they were not there before, btw you need to ammend your post to say 5.00 at the end.
    I confirmed the entries were in regeditor and tried to test.

Set windows sound to 5.1, tested WMC sound settings in 5.1 and it looped and then wouldn't play any test sounds after.
    restarted WMC and tried again in stereo, my amp said Dolby D but it looped again and wouldn't play any test sounds again.
    If i confirm i have heard all the sounds and finish the sound setup, i get a flash of a tv chanel picture and the video error come up, until i restart WMC.
    If i set windows sound back to stereo and set WMC sound to 5.1, i see Dolby D on my amp and all is as it was... my amp can process stereo into surround

stereo music played from WMP still only comes out in stereo, amp says M In DD, so cant apply surround to it if windows sound is set to 5.1

10. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Is the old version of MSVidCtl.dll in \windows\ehome and the new version of MSVidCtl.dll in system32?

11. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    im using 8.2.2 and have not changed anything

12. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Thanks. edited as noted. I also realised that I'd shown the entry for a different exe!

13. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Remember that I went from V12 to 8.8.3 missing out 8.8.2 on my HTPC so there may be other differences.

14. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I see no changes to exe?
    \windows\ehome MSVidCtl.dll ver is 6.5.9600.16384
    \windows\system32 MSVidCtl.dll ver is 6.5.17763.475

15. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    I was referring to the registry entry I posted.

Those are the same versions I have.

I can confirm that since reverting to how I had it with V12, mine is set as 5.1 in both windows and WMC. The test works in both places and I get surround through my Amp on Blu-Rays and in WMC.

If I watch the system in resmon and start up WMC, I can see that it is loading c:\windows\ehome\MSVidCtl.dll and not the one in system32.

Maybe there's some thing(s) different about your system?

16. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I understood, i meant there was no change to the exe in your post after you modified the 5.00 bit
    I would love to have windows sound set to 5.1 and my amp apply surround processing to multi sound input.

17. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Maybe I had already corrected that but missed the error you pointed out. It probably got mangled when I was fighting with all those weird codes that appear when you edit a code section.

When I get a chance, I'll bring my other PC down, connect it to the AV Amp and make the same changes and see if it works on that as well.

Watch this space......

18. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    That would be great,