[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Windows Media Center plays back via Windows Media Player. If a video file wont play with the correct audio in WMC, try to open it and change settings in Media Player. If the same result happens, odds are you need a codec to get it work correctly. Natively, you'll find it interesting what WMP can play with out codecs, over all not too much.

Just because a file plays in the Windows 10 built in apps (TV+Movies, etc), does not mean Media Center will play it.

If your using HDMI, you should enable bitstreaming and you will get 5.1, 7.1, 10.1 etc...and all the HD audio formats. Windows 7/8.1 days, I needed a 3rd party codec, I used Shark007's codec pack, it's pretty well designed and has everything you could need.

As for the audio settings in WMC, they were designed around Analog settings, they don't do anything with digital audio. In fact they can mess up some things. I normally leave this on stereo and let the digital out (HDMI) take care of everything.

2. Jonathan Cohen

Jonathan Cohen MDL Novice

May 13, 2019
    Please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong place. I have just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but still really need WMC. Search engines send me to your forum to downloaded a free unofficial version of WMC but all I can see is the forum and not the download itself. It would be very helpful if someone could post the link to the download page for the 32 bit version or else suggest what I should do next. Thank you

3. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    I'm not sure why you are telling me this. I am not the one having problems. I don't need or want codecs because my PC does everything I need without them.

4. mamikel

mamikel MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2017
    Hi there,

I have been unable to get Windows Media Center working on Windows 10. Is it no longer working?

thanks

Matt

5. M'o

M'o MDL Novice

May 1, 2019
    Hi Matt,

I had the same behavior with Win10 1809 and 1903. So I installed last sunday the lastest build 18865.1000 from the insider channel.
    After that, I've changed the Media Player settings to get a completed TV setup and also the msvidctl.dll in system32 to the version from the MCE-Installation.
    Now the WMC works fine, also in combination with the MST Tool. But I must uncheck the WOL setting on my network adapter.

Greets
    Marco

6. mamikel

mamikel MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2017
    Many thanks for a prompt reply Marco. I'll see if I can follow your process.

Cheers
    Matt

7. Jonathan Cohen

Jonathan Cohen MDL Novice

May 13, 2019
    I am still hoping that someone will tell me where to find a 32 bit version of WMC so that I can join in as well
    Thanks
    Jonathan

8. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9268 technodevotee, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Looking at the Global Assembly Cache on Windows 10 1903 last night, I noticed that all of the native images installed by 8.8.3 that would normally be in their own folders under \windows\assembly are in \windows\assembly\temp and most of the images that would normally be in \windows\microsoft.net framework and assembly folders are completely missing.

Wonder if something has changed with ngen or dot net framework that is preventing them being installed properly.

I was going to enable some logging on the installer or try manually installing some to see what happens but realised it was gone midnight and I am away from home ATM.

Update:
    They all seem to have appeared tonight. 24 hours later. What the ????

9. ultramage

ultramage MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2017
    Hi, I installed MSMG's WMC v1.0.324.0 package on a clean windows 10. I can't seem to figure out how to get it to download the live tv schedule - during setup it just waits there forever. I am familiar with the 'workarounds' document saying to add certain entries to etc/hosts, however that doesn't seem to work. I recall having this issue before even with the old v12 package, sadly I don't remember how I fixed it back then. I installed Wireshark to try and spot any obvious problem in the network traffic, but there aren't any DNS lookups during the entire process. During the download step, it connects to some webserver, does a short exchange and disconnects.

What's even more confusing... I installed 8.8.2 a month ago, and before it destroyed the OS with that unrecoverable bluescreen loop, I noticed that the initial configuration process included a successful and very fast download of the tv guide. And it worked right out of the box, no dns tampering needed. I have no idea why that one worked. If there are no other options, I will try installing it again to see if I can reproduce it.

10. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9270 technodevotee, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    @ultramage

You might just have hit a point where the MS servers aren't working - again.

After years of frustration, I gave up on their TV guide for the sake of my sanity and have used EPG123 for most PCs since.

The ones that do get the guide from MS aren't working at the moment.

11. ultramage

ultramage MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2017
    That's actually not true - I just installed 8.8.2 and it always succeeds quickly...
    I wonder. I'm in central europe, and the thread hosting 8.8.2 is french. Is it possible that the developer of that package is french (also europe) and has included some kind of unnoticed tweak to make WMC run correctly in this region?

On the network, I see UA "Windows-Media-Player/12.0.17763.475" resolve "redir.metaservices.microsoft_com" (104.83.5.40) and query "/redir/allservices/?sv=5&locale=41b&geoid=8f&version=12.0.17763.194&userlocale=41b" (gets 302 redirect) near the start of the tv setup wizard.

I then see a dns lookup for "www_microsoft_com" and a query for "/". It gets a 302 redirect to https. Around 140kB of data is downloaded.

I then see a dns lookup for "data.tvdownload.microsoft_com" (65.55.186.115) and the download proceeds.
    ---
    Comparing then to the new package, I get the same metaservices lookup, shortly followed by a "watson.telemetry.microsoft_com" lookup and a short data exchange. After I complete the initial sequence, there's another watson telemetry report. Once I enter my area code and get the download progress bar, there's one more watson report, and it stalls.So it doesn't even sem to attempt to download anything, or even to contact the download servers. The watson thing makes me think that some component is silently crashing or erroring out.

12. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9272 technodevotee, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    I've got a mixture of 1803, 1809 & 1903.

I'm running a mixture of v13 (homebrew non dism installer version of v12), v8.8.2 & v8.8.3.

I have one pc with dvb-s2 on Hotbird 13, Astra 19.2 and Astra 28.2.

The others are on dvb-t2 or dvb-t.

Every pc (including the ones with epg123) collect epg data from microsoft and currently not one of them is downloading data from them due to errors.

All I can say is if it works at all for you then you are very lucky.

13. ultramage

ultramage MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2017
    Oh dear. That's not a good sign.
    But I just want to say... today I juggled 8.8.2 and MSMG's pack based on 8.8.2 three times each in the span of 30 minutes while I was doing the abovementioned tests. Both of them were giving consistent behavior. So I assume this is not a server availability issue, but some kind of internal configuration problem that MSMG introduced / uncovered.

What is the timeout on that download step during the initial setup? Because you're mentioning errors, while in my case I always had to cancel out of that screen after a long wait. So our two issues might be unrelated.

14. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9274 technodevotee, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    yeah maybe not connected at all.

15. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    I confirm I'm French, but nope, I haven't included any particular tweak to make it work here.

16. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Well, it has started working again today.

17. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9277 technodevotee, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    I have a confession to make: My memory must be defective because I was positive that I was successfully running V12 on 1803 with the old version MSVidCtl in ehome and the new version in system32
    using my app paths but try as I may, I can't get it to run that way now.

So, my claim is unfounded and it looks like it was actually 8.8.2 where it started working like that. Obviously, this is due to the excellent work that @Kévin Chalet did with his modifications.

However, the app paths DO make a difference for certain aspects of how Media Center works, most notable the ability to change and test the sound settings in the way I described. It also allows me to run WMC full screen without any problems on some of my PCs.

18. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Win10_1903_V1_English_x64.iso
    Is it a go?

19. Neuromancer0525

Neuromancer0525 MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2016
    i don't understand why Microsoft is purposely trying to sabotage WMC from running on Win10. Fine they wanted to abandon it and not offer it. Then someone figures a way to install it and they patch the anniversary edition to break it WHY. Are you trying to piss off your loyal customers? I heard a rumor they were paid off by cable companies to do it and i didn't want to believe it but now i;m starting to. I will find out i guess if someone figures a workaround and they patch again.

20. ChrisJohn

ChrisJohn MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2015
    I installed 8.8.1 on my newly upgraded version 1903 and whilst it seemed to install correctly, trying to start live TV gave the unhelpful message:
    "All TV tuners are currently in use.
    To change the channel, select the program or recording that you want to stop."

I haven't tried 8.8.2 or 8.8.3. I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has managed to get WMC installed and working on WIn10_1903.