[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    #9401 technodevotee, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    I was certain that I would be getting data from somewhere in Europe rather than the US but it seems that you know a lot more about this stuff than me.

Anyway, I pinged cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com and it resolved to a1683.d.akamai.net, 213.123.242.17.

2. mmortal03

mmortal03 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2017
    #9402 mmortal03, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    My guide info in WMC hasn't stopped working yet, and currently goes out to June 29th at 6:30pm Central Time. Not sure if that helps you guys, I don't know how often it's supposed to update, how far out it should go, or when my next guide update should be, but I just thought I'd provide a data point or two. :)

Edit: Now mine goes out to July 10th, so it looks like it's still updating for where I live.

3. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Nice, thanks, FYI that IP is in London. Just tried it but it fails from LA :(

And yeah I have data till this weekend too, however there are shows missing from Saturday that I'll be recording so either MS fix their EPG or I use EPG123 or I manually program the recordings (think I'll use EPG123 before I do that however).

4. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    #9404 j.c.f., Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    OK, I went over the dark side and set up EPG123 a bit early as I suddenly realized there would be recordings going on when I was thinking of installing EPG123 and of course that's going to get interrupted when one sets ups the TV configuration. Kinda irritating that if you decide you don't want season and episode numbers prepended to the names of shows that you have to go set up everything over again from scratch (I see there's a epg123.cfg that has that data, guess we'll see what happens when we fire off an update with those values changed) but I like the fact that you can share the data (even if the docs don't explicitly state there what data is) amongst other clients without them all pulling the data down individually from the web.

5. garyan2

garyan2 MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2015
    You don't need to setup everything from scratch to change anything. You just need to create a new MXF file and import it into the database to see them. There are no registry settings. Just do a [Save & Execute].

6. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Rather than having gone over to the dark side, I think you have actually seen the light.

I've been using EPG123 for a while now and have found it very good apart from a few issues with the line-ups that are beyond Gary's control.

Gary did a great job with the software and is very helpful if you have any issues.

7. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Yeah, I edited the XML .cfg file and figured the changes would propagate on the next update (be it manual or task scheduler initiated) and it did. My gripe is that there doesn't appear to be any way to get to the screen that has all those check boxes on it without going through Step 1 again. But yeah, great software, would have taken a huge amount of effort for me to nut out all that database stuff, what to speak of the SD JSON interface.

Now I just gotta figure out how to nuke the station logos I foolishly downloaded but I can live with that, certainly not redoing the setup just to snot them (some are missing and others are dark grey on black, not so useful).

8. garyan2

garyan2 MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2015
    #9408 garyan2, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    The 'EPG123' shortcut will open the configuration GUI. The 'EPG123 Client' shortcut will open the client guide tool. No need to go through Step 1 again.

Once you open the configuration GUI using the right shortcut, you can click the [collect] button beside the 'Include station logos from Schedules Direct' which will download all channel logos for all the stations. Typically, there are 2 logos available for each station and the second one is usually the logo with a better contrast (light) to the WMC background. EPG123 will choose the second one by default. After you download all of the logos, you can take a look in the C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\sdlogos folder to see if there is a better logo available. You would then just need to copy that logo over the dark logo and next update your logo will be replaced.

For example: You have station WQRKDT that has a dark logo. Click the [collect] button and look for the available logos for that station. They will be named WQRKDT-1, WQRKDT-2, WQRKDT-n. If you find one you like, copy it over to the C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\logos folder, delete the dark logo (WQRKDT.png), and rename the new one to remove the dashed number at the end so it will be WQRKDT.png. Next update will give you the updated logo.

If you want to get rid of all logos from EPG123, unselect the 'Include station logos from Schedules Direct' option and Save. Then open the EPG123 Client, click the [Tweak WMC] button, and click the [Remove] button to remove all channel logos.

9. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Ooh, very nice, it's even written on the screen, I just had to read everything on that tweak page. It's like my software, I'm on the only one that can do really impressive things with it no matter how well I try and document it, the documentation just becomes a reference for me so I don't forget stuff...

Bonus question, do you try and serialize access to the MXF file? My machines all wake up within minutes of each other to do backups and (in the past) run mcupdate and it occurred to me that I was going to have to delay the slave machines till the server had finished building a new MXF file (basically take a punt on the longest time it takes as I'm not about to have the slaves peek at processes running on the server looking for the EPG123.EXE process although I suppose I could start /wait it and put serialization files that make the slaves wait in the MXF directory). If of course you serialize it automatically I don't have to bother.

10. garyan2

garyan2 MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2015
    I have my "server" run and create the MXF file at 04:22 and even though creating a new file only takes around 25 seconds for my 24 OTA stations, I have my client machine update at 05:00. You could stagger your clients if you like, but I don't think you will have a problem if multiple machines are trying to access the file at the same time.

11. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Yeah, there are 150+ stations in LA, takes it a few minutes but if you don't have problems at your scale (Tucson I'm guessing) fifteen minutes here should be ample safety margin. I used to live in Tucson, had a freaking tree right in front of Mt Lemmon, nothing like having a 20' pole on your roof with an antenna on top of it, kinda glad I moved to LA because that sucker was just begging for a lightening strike. Thanks again!

12. jeff2012

jeff2012 MDL Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I am late to the game and just now realize that my guide data is gone from my 2 WMC pc's

Can someone point me to the post which explains why this is so? Did M$ throw off the guide data switch?

The alternative package EPG123 do I need 3 licenses for my 3 WMC's?

Also remotely I have used the WMC app from Ceton to record a show on the fly, Can/Does EPG123 allow remote program scheduling too? Would it work with the ceton app and load program guide data?

Thank you !!!!!

13. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Epg123 is free. A schedules direct sub which is where epg123 pulls it's data from is 20 bucks a year, and you only pay once for each household. You will still have the same scheduling abilities you had before

14. garyan2

garyan2 MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2015
  15. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Any worth a danm?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    There are more stations with content I watch here than there were when I lived in Tucson if it matters, several of the secondary/fringe stations have things that just wouldn't get carried there. But yeah, 90% garbage, however no way to filter them out at the guide download stage -- or at least if there is I'm not willing to invest the time to figure out how to do so.

17. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
  18. garyan2

garyan2 MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2015
    The task in Win10 has always been an issue, but here is what it needs.

The task is initially created for NETWORK SERVICE to run because 1709 broke the scheduler and it would only run multiple actions if a service account was used. When using a Win10 machine as a client, you will need to change the User to one that has access to the shared network folder. You will also need to save the password (whether logged on or not).

I haven't had any double quote issues, it simply runs as it was created. Also, the task cannot have the -p option. It will fail if you try.

19. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    #9420 j.c.f., Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Yeah, some sorta voodoo going on with the task scheduler for sure, I'm happy brute forcing it at the moment as I find no sooner than I come up with a solution MS go and change things yet again. Last time around I found if I changed the task to run to be cmd.exe and changed the parameters to "/C programname parameters" things were fine -- unless of course you wanted double quotes in those parameters and that's when I picked up the brute force brick and just made it run a batch file and to hell MS and their constantly changing rules about what can and cannot be done in a scheduled task invocation.

And yeah, extra gerfingerpoken needed if you have a task that needs network access if it wakes the computer, I find it's easier to run the task only when the user is logged on, no password saving needed and no mysterious stopping after a week or two or slowing the computer down to a crawl because it's consumed all the available resources or whatever.

UPDATE: And this morning I notice the server failed to update the local WMC EPG even though it successfully pulled the new EPG from SD and the client machine updated itself from that. The machine was recording something at the time, first time it's updated while doing that so new territory. It's not the the 1709 issue you were talking about (that machine is 1809) where it only executes one action and doesn't run the client updater as the trace.log file shows the epg123 client running but it's missing the Entering importMxfFile() messages that were there from the day before. Guess the thing doesn't have permission to screw with something when running as NETWORK SERVICE when WMC is recording. Changed the server's scheduled task to only run when the user is logged on and to run as the user instead of NETWORK SERVICE, might be a while till I get to test it again as no recordings scheduled that early in the morning for a while, will try and keep an eye on it.