[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. atlanta9800

atlanta9800 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2015
  2. skiing87

skiing87 MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2018
    Is it possible to edit anything in the registry to adjust the timeout on the overlay in Windows Media Center? I'm talking about the one that shows on mouse movement, and has the play/pause, volume buttons, etc... It seems about 5-6 seconds for it to disappear, but I'd like it to be 1 sec.

Thanks

3. rendermandan

rendermandan MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2019
    Hey there, New to the forum, I stumbled across this from an internet search. I downloaded the X64 version, Got it installed and got my HD Connect tuners setup. DVR and Guide seem to work good so far. I haven't setup Emby on it yet. but plan to tonight.

I was reading about the possibility of this being nixed by a future windows update. Is that still a possibility and if it is, what happens when it does.

Thanks!

4. Aly

Aly MDL Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Guys, I clean installed Win10 1903 18362.30. Installed OTA HDHR drivers. Then Installed WMC v13. It says no tuners detected.
    I used to know a fix for this. Been searching, to many results to WeeD through. What is the fix now? Does this v13 work on 1903?

5. jspenc3

jspenc3 MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2015
    I did similar but restored my v8.8.3 backup before trying to use the tuners. I didn't have to scan in WMC (I did in HDHR just in case), the tuners just worked.

At this point my only issue is the same from 1803, I can't run full screen and I often get a decoder error on playback. I'm mainly using Emby Theater for playback so it's only an issue when something is still recording. I haven't switched to Emby for recording and fully ditch WMC yet because:

1) All of my shows are already scheduled in WMC and it'll take forever to get them into Emby.
    2) I don't like the way the guide works in Emby Theatre's couch mode as much as WMC. If you want to know why just use them both, the way WMC works is what it should do. For example it's easier to move to another day with a remote, and you can hold down the arrow buttons and it goes faster, etc. etc.
    3) I don't often keep my recordings, so I like the folder view you get in WMC. The only way I've been able to duplicate how that works in WMC in Emby is using the ServerWMC plugin. For some stupid reason you can't set it to group per program in Emby's built in recorded TV, it just barfs all 20+ items I have in my recorded tv folder into a long list of files. In MWC it groups them by show perfectly.

There are a few things I would like to keep and convert to an H265 MKV and move to a series folder, so it would be great if we had a way to tell Emby to convert and move a file on demand in Theater.

I guess long term my solution to fully move to Emby will be to embrace post-processing and move things into per series folders, but so far my attempt to figure out how to set that up hasn't worked. I went through all of the Emby settings to enable series processing of Recorded TV but it doesn't do anything. I don't know what I missed and haven't had time to dig through the wiki to figure it out. Someday... or I'll get lucky and they'll eventually fix all the above before I get around to doing it LOL ;-).

6. peteramans

peteramans MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2019
    HI guys just installed fresh win 10 1903 install wmc player and is not completely working, trying to play wtv files but an error about codecs comes up, tuners work and scan in but wont show live tv error says both tuners are busy but it actually records ok but doesnt play back recorded tv with wmc , but wtv file is ok with another player

7. Aly

Aly MDL Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Found out a fix for no tuner detected.
    No I am stuck at Downloading TV Setup Data. I put in the entries in the hosts:
    Are these right? Anything else to do?
    65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
    2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

Tuner detect fix:
    Go to Services.
    Scroll down the Services list and find Windows Media Center Receiver Service.
    Right-click Windows Media Center Receiver Service, and then click Properties.
    Click the Log On tab, and then select Local System account.
    Click Apply, and then click OK on the Services message.
    Restart the computer.

8. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    As documented in any number of previous posts, there are DLLs that need to be replaced in later versions of win10. Technodevotee's package has a utility to replace them automatically or you can do it by hand if look for posts mentioning MSVidCtl.dll.

9. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    While MS's servers have been rather unreliable my logs indicate they've been available for at least the last few days. That doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be able to set a new installation up without retrying the setup dozens of times however. Those IP addresses are old and 2.16.216.176 doesn't work any more. The easy but not completely free ($25/year) solution is to use EPG123, a solution I recently adopted and can attest that it works really well. Even when the MS servers are up and you can talk to them and you've got your WMC setup done the quality of their guide info is inferior to the Zap2it data EPG123 pulls down. Highly recommended, garyan2 did a bang up job with it.

10. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    If you're still having trouble with full screen playback you can use my launcher, not sure if anyone ever got full screen working lately without using earlier versions of win10. Personally even if you could get full screen working I prefer my launcher as WMC no longer hogs the cursor.

11. jspenc3

jspenc3 MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2015
    Yea I actually use it sometimes, but the issue is I have stacked 60" Panny Plasma TVs and the bottom one is at eye level (I know, first world problems). If I put WMC on the bottom TV it leaves the WMC window's top header on the bottom of the top TV. I don't want to get burn in so I don't want to run it that way for more than an hour or two.

I tried swapping the TVs in Windows display setting and it worked to push the top bar out of the bottom TV's viewing area (because that TV was now the "top display" to Windows), but then I kept getting confused when I wanted to drag stuff to the top TV because they were backwards LOL...

12. Aly

Aly MDL Member

Feb 27, 2008
  13. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Hmm, tricky one. I guess somewhere or other those display coordinates are stored in the registry and you could move the top display 32 or more pixels up (assuming it's not the primary display of course, otherwise you'd have to move the other one down), but good luck finding them. Guess you'd have to search for values like 1920 occurring near 1080 or what have you. Serious voodoo.

14. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...