[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Do you have more than one Decoder installed (it seems WMC has an issue when more than one is installed)? did you try LAV? also you could try upgrading your video driver. or you need the MPEG2 codecs.

2. Klownicle

Klownicle MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #942 Klownicle, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    This is a bare bones Windows 10 install, I've been working with in a VM of a ESX Host. Doing snapshots etc for testing.

I JUST saw that you may need LAV. I installed that and now standard and high def works. I need to find a channel that would need DRM. Anyone know of a good one, I have Verizon Custom HD.

3. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    We need the EXACT codecs used in WMC on 7 or 8.1 for TV playback, that SHOULD resolve this issue.

AMC started doing DRM in my area, that is what I am using...

DRM channels DO NOT WORK, I can confirm this...

4. Noctophrenia

Noctophrenia MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2013
    Okay, so v2 installs for me, works fine for Live TV, but it has no program guide data.

I followed all the guides for v3, uninstall.cmd, delete ehome, ipconfig release/renew/flushdns, patch hosts, run testrights... up to this point all seems fine.

Then, on v3, when I run the install.cmd I get one flash of a cmd window and nothing. Nothing happens.

Went back to v2 and it is back to the same Live TV but no EPG.

I'll be back to futz with it later, hoping to see some more ideas here. Thanks for all the work.

5. villager1971

villager1971 MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    Has anyone tried watching videos or running Emby as each time a I want to watch a movie I get the 'Decoder Error' message :mad:

6. Klownicle

Klownicle MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #946 Klownicle, Sep 10, 2015
    Yep, FXX HD does not work, that's Copy Once. Well, do we see any way around that? I can't recall if FXX HD works on my Windows 7 box. I use the Thin Windows 7 Embedded SetTopBox configuration for that.

This obviously has to do with the Codec being used, you have to use Microsoft Codecs to view protected channels.

"Copying Prohibited

The broadcaster prohibits this content from being copied. You can only play this content on the same computer which it was recorded."

7. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I am also on FIOS.. some DRM channels that I see from HDHomeRun:

lower channels (Standard) you could try:
    117 Fox Business
    118 Fox News
    132 Nat Geo
    191 FXX
    232 Fox Movie Chann

on HD you could try:
    553 FX HD
    583 Fox Sports
    621 National Geo
    691 FXX

and of course HBO's

8. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Unless we can find a way to export the Codec from Windows 8.1 (as it should work in 10) and import it into 10, we might be SOL here... and it's causing the "Display driver error"

9. Klownicle

Klownicle MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #949 Klownicle, Sep 10, 2015
    I can view any channel except CopyOnce it appears. Also, I'm not too miffed about the Display Driver Issue, that happens on legit installs as I've said. Has to do with the PlayReady/DRM configuration. Whenever I use a legit monitor (such as a TV) it works without issue. I have no doubt once I get this on my Big TV/Main Installation at home, the Display Driver error will go away. I'm happy enough I could play with this while I was working in a VM LOL.

As far as getting the exact codecs, I'm seeing a screen that flashes right before the Copy Prohibit screen that says something along the lines of "System Files Modified." and it has an "Ok" button. Flashes for a split second then comes up with the Copy Prohibit screen. We may be up more of a creek than we think, because didn't we have to modify the underlining WMC files to get this to work? Lol

10. dejong12

dejong12 MDL Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Just open the CMD with _TestRights.cmd and navigate to \bin\install.bat.

11. chris719

chris719 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2010
    I get the same thing. I don't think it's the codec but if someone has the files they can check the version of msmpeg2vdec.dll in Windows\System32 and compare.

12. chris719

chris719 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2010
    This doesn't happen to me on 8.1 but happens on 10. Same PC same drivers, DVI connection.

13. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Same here but, the problem is, some areas, put Copy once/Copy Prohibited on most channels (DRM). With out this working correctly, it's a major problem for a lot of users.

Even worse, As you have noticed, If you try to watch a DRM based channel and you change to ANOTHER channel (Non-DRM channel) you will get the "System files Modified" issue, and if you hit OK, it's going to open a browser in WCE that causes havoc, with NO choice but, to exit WMC and go back in to watch TV again

You cant watch some of the main channels you pay for...I would see it kind of big in my eyes...

I hope this can be addressed in some way but, I know this will be a tricky one for sure..

Sure this is working but, it's big subsystem is broken... I guess one step at a time.

DVI will work fine....DVI-D will support DHCP (secure connection) or DVI-I will be analog and you don't have to deal with that DHCP crap.

14. Klownicle

Klownicle MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Once I'm home I'll check them out :)

15. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #955 DavidinCT, Sep 10, 2015
    Windows 7 - 6.1.714.0
    Windows 8.1 - 12.0.9477.0
    Windows 10 - 12.0.10132

To note, on the msmpeg2vdec.dll on Windows 8.1 was renamed to old, not sure what is replacing it....This could be the issue...

All machines 7 and 8.1 are fully up to date as windows update goes.

16. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Hello,
    I'm back after finally completelly formating my system.
    Installed KLite codec basic pack, WMC V3 installer as admin, and ran manually MCUpdate.exe as admin at first TV screen setting. Now, all is OK !
    All works good, EPG data is back.
    I suppose that the uninstall script didn't completely deleted some WMC preferences and settings of previous versions (I tested all of them), that's why there was a bug.
    I just wondering about future security updates, since WMC has sometimes updates (like yesterday), if some patched files will be updated, repatched and copied, this bug may occur.

17. Klownicle

Klownicle MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Aren't there programs that can view what filters are actively being used on content? GraphEdit? Or do we not even need to go that far and just compare barebones filters of OS installations.

18. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    I got this working with no problem on the XL version x64. I right clicked on the MSI, selected "Compatibly" when the menu came up, it automatically selected "Skip version check", hit run, it installed fine and I see logos on my channels....

19. wahoospa

wahoospa MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2012
    Need a little help please. I can install WMC fine. I'm using it just for OTA. It locates my device but never finds any channels when scanning. It's not the device because Pot Player finds the channels without a problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. DoubleMan1971

DoubleMan1971 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
    Hi ppl. Where can i download POLISH version of WMC for Win 10 64 bit ? Btw, works perfectly with Siano DVB-T on Win 10532 :) Thank You guys:clap: