[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Gareth North

Gareth North MDL Junior Member

Jan 27, 2016
  2. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    #9602 Kévin Chalet, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Your screenshot seems to indicate you're looking at the wrong place. TV recordings found via HomeMediaSharing are not added to the main list, but can be accessed via the "shared" tab, that will list the machine names corresponding to the configured UNC paths. Give WMC some time to scan your remote share (it mostly depends on how many programs you have, since everything is processed serially).

3. HKindler

HKindler MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2019
    Hi,

I upgaded to win10 1903 last weekend. I installed wmc 8.8.4. everything worked fine, but I had to setup my tvtuner from scratch. The backuprestore.bat did something, but the tuners were not found by wmc. Another problem was, that the indexing service was not running at first, so I could not program any recordings using keywords. But starting the service did the trick.

Now there is only one problem left: wmc is not recording anything. The time passes and when I come home nothing happened. The rec-task just vanished and there is nothing In the history of the recs.
    What could be the problem? Is there still a service-task missing?

4. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Is there anything in the event viewer - left hand side under applications and services logs, Media Center?

5. HKindler

HKindler MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2019
    Hi,

my system speaks German. So please excuse if I don’t use the correct words. I have some events there, most of them while I was setting up my tuners. On Sunday there is nothing, while wmc should have made some recordings but did not. And there are some events, while I was playing with programming records through keywords. Mainly telling me, that I deleted some recording tasks (which I did),

Today wmc should have made another recording, but there isn’t one and there is no entry in the events for today.

Any other suggestions?

6. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9606 technodevotee, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    I assume that Windows Media Center Scheduler Service starts and stays running?

If you set up a scheduled recording, does it appear in the Task Scheduler (under \Microsoft\Windows\Media Center as StartRecording)?

7. HKindler

HKindler MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2019
    There is a task called ehShed (Windows Media Center-Planerdienst) running. I thinks that’s the one you are asking for.

I just programmed a recording through epg, starting today at 20:55. And there is a StatRecording entry for 20:48 with the name of the film in the description. But there are no other entries??

Edit: the recording startet now and I can see the next scheduled recording. So, when the system and wmc are running, then recording does work.

8. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    That is the correct service. Very strange. Does the startrecording entry say ready next to it?

What happens if you run it manually?

9. HKindler

HKindler MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2019
    Status of StartRecording is “Ready”.
    When I do a right click and choose “execute” then the status changes ti “running” for a short time. But nothing happens in the wmc.

I think I just wait and will see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for your help!
    I”ll give a update to the subject tomorrow.

10. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Some more questions for you:
    Which version of WMC did you have before upgrading?

Did you uninstall WMC before upgrading, uninstall the remains of WMC after upgrading or just install over the top?

Did you allow Windows to finish installing and updating itself before installing WMC?

11. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Further to my last post, I was wondering if the tasks and services had been configured properly, possibly because there were bits of the old version left over that prevented them being created correctly.

Way back, some people had to do workarounds such as setting the startrecording task to wake the computer, changing the account under which services were running or adding the network service to the administrators group but none of those should be required any more. Assuming that the services and tasks are created properly that is.

12. HKindler

HKindler MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2019
    Only a quick answer, I have to go to work.
    I left win10 enough time to finish. I even installed all updates before going to install wmc.
    Wich version of wmc i used before I’m not sure.
    I uninstalled wmc with the uninstall of 8.8.4. I even checked if there is still a ehome-dir left in the windows-dir (there wasn’t).
    Maybe we can check the SartRecording-task together this evening.

Thanks!

13. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9613 technodevotee, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    OK. Please check that network service is a member of the administrators group:

Run lusrmgr.msc as administrator
    in Computer Management > Local users & Groups then Groups > Administrators you should have NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE (S-1-5-20)

And in the StartRecording task, in conditions, please check that 'wake the computer to perform this task' is ticked

14. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    I guess that is because the manifests were removed.

Just goes to show that you can't use the date on a file as a guide to which one you need.

15. Gareth North

Gareth North MDL Junior Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi Kevin

Thanks for the extra info. But I'm really confused :eek:. I like a challenge and have puzzled over what you said for a few hours yesterday but I still cannot figure out exactly what I should be doing to make this work.

Do I make the registry change on the computer sharing all the RecordedTV or the one that is accessing all the Recorded TV?

Are we using Homegroup to share or not? I've read homegroup which I tried once in windows 7 where you create a passcode you give to other machines on your network is not in Windows 10 from 1803 onwards. Yet Bizarely the homegroup icons are there if you right click on a file and choose "Give Access to"

When you say the shared tab or main list what do you mean? Also when you say you may have to wait a bit while media center scans you collection how are we pointing it at it? What option do I choose in Media Libraries:-

Add folders for Recorded TV:-
    On This Computer
    On another computer
    let me manually add a shared folder

If there is a website that you can advise me about which might give me the basics will to have a read to save you explaining.

Best Regards

Thanks for your time as always.

Gareth North

16. HKindler

HKindler MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2019
    Hi technodevotee,

first of all, wmc did not record the film today.:(

StartRecording had the mentioned tick set. But the network service was not in the administrators group. So I put it in there. Then I programmed a new recording starting at 18:54 and switched the computer to standby. Now I’m waiting, if it wakes up...

17. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    On the client machine (the one that accesses remote programs located on another machine).

Yeah, those are leftovers that will be removed in a future version of Windows 10 (that's what I was told, at least).
    Initially, this feature was based on HomeGroup but since it's no longer a thing in Windows 10, it's no longer working.
    The registry key is a way to bypass the HomeGroup requirement and make the "shared TV" feature work without it.

I mean this tab, in Recorded TV:

upload_2019-9-4_18-50-40.png

(here, "tv enregistrée" is for local TV recordings, "toulon" is another machine and "tous les ordinateurs" shows all the programs of all the listed computers)

Once you select your remote machine, you'll see the same listing page as usual, but with a few differences, like the ability to copy a TV recording locally:

upload_2019-9-4_18-53-24.png

The registry key you added is enough to tell WMC where to look at. Don't do anything else.

18. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    BTW, it's worth noting that the remote machine doesn't need to have Windows Media Center installed (my "Toulon" machine is on Windows Server 2019 and doesn't have WMC installed).

19. HKindler

HKindler MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2019
    Ok, the computer didn’t wake up.:mad:
    What else could I try?

20. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    @Kévin Chalet, is this 'homemediasharing' feature something that was added in a certain version or does it work on any version?