[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Burger233

Burger233 MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2019
    HDHomerun tuners not seen by WMC on Windows 10. I used technodevotee's download to finally get WMC installed- but when setting up TV signal, HDHomerun's tuners are not found (tuners work fine when using the HDHomerun app). I found a workaround of setting computer to go to SLEEP after 1 minute, restart computer, and try to again to install TV Signal in WMC. Unfortunately this workaround did not work for me. Anybody out there who uses Silcondust's HDHomerun tuners that can help?Thanks in advance

2. Aly

Aly MDL Member

Feb 27, 2008
    The fix I discovered is
    Change the Windows Media Center Receiver Service from a specific account name to a Local System account:
    Click Start , and type Administrative tools in the Search box.
    Click Administrative tools in the search results.
    Double-click Services.
    Scroll down the Services list and find Windows Media Center Receiver Service.
    Right-click Windows Media Center Receiver Service, and then click Properties.
    Click the Log On tab, and then select Local System account.
    Click Apply, and then click OK on the Services message.
    Restart the computer.

3. lburgguy

lburgguy MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2019
    #9743 lburgguy, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Kudos to this group and all of the various developers!!! This weekend I fresh-installed Windows 10, 1903 knowing I'd lose my WMC I so thoroughly rely on in Win7. I found this group and read up a bit and installed the 8.8.4 installer and it works like a charm!!!

Moving forward, is this WMC v. Windows Updates simply a game of cat and mouse? Are regular reinstalls of WMC something I should get used to?

Thanks again everyone.

4. Burger233

Burger233 MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2019
    First, thanks so much to Aly for a prompt reply. And second, thanks for such detailed instructions. Unfortunately, this plan did not work.

Today, I partitioned a hard drive on another computer, installed Windows 10 Build 18363, installed HDHomerun software, and went through the WMC setup process. This time I added a HDHomerun Digital Antenna box. HDHomerun found this box as well as my 2 Prime (with cable cards) and setup channels. When doing the WMC setup, it discovered the Digital Antenna- but, again, not the 2 cable card boxes. So, back to same issue.

If someone is successfully running WMC on Windows 10 with HDHomerun Prime boxes (cable card), then I guess the problem can be solved somehow! Please reply- and let me know the trick. Otherwise, maybe I will search for an ISO of build 1507 or 1511, which I understand may work

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Indeed it is. Microsoft don't want you running WMC any more. It is as simple as that.

Other than forcefully removing WMC in an upgrade, I don't think they are deliberately sabotaging it, they're just removing parts of Windows that WMC relies on but aren't used by anything else.

This is something that happens all the time and Third Party Software Vendors have to work around it.

7. LotusG33k

LotusG33k MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    Hello, I run WMC on Windows 7 with HDHomeRun Prime CableCard tuner and a Quatro for OTA. Only the Quatro works on Windows 10 current builds as documented here, so I decided to try Windows 8.1 which will get patches for 3+ more years. Unfortunately, WMC 8.8.4 does not work at all on Windows 8.1 - No tuners found, not even Quatro, and says "Expired" trying to play existing recordings. WMC 13 does work with all tuners as long as the old version of PlayReady is installed. Fast Forward playback works right after installing WMC 13, but something breaks Fast Forward soon after that, the first reboot I think. Unfortunately, lack of working Fast Forward is a deal breaker for me. This is a 64-bit computer and I also had the same issue on a 32-bit computer with Windows 8.1, FF only worked for a short time. Anyone know of a way to fix Fast Forward with WMC 13 on Windows 8.1?

8. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9748 technodevotee, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    I've never installed V13 on Windows 8.1 myself but someone told me that it works. However, I run it on multiple Windows 10 PCs here and don't have a problem with fast forward or rewind so I'm afraid I can't really help in either respect.

What you wrote about having to use the old version of PlayReady is interesting.

The message about being expired is something that usually happens when msvidctl.dll or cpfilters.dll isn't a version Windows expects. It probably explains why WMC can't see the tuners either.

As you might be aware, those DLLs normally exist in Windows\system32 and are the ones that WMC V12 and V13 use. However, V8.8.4 puts copies in windows\ehome and uses those. You could try re-installing 8.8.4 and replace the DLLs with another version using WMC Multi Tool (which is 64bit only) by selecting the option to replace the DLLs in ehome.

9. j.c.f.

j.c.f. MDL Member

Mar 1, 2016
    #9749 j.c.f., Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Yeah, you'll get real proficient at uninstalling WMC before a feature update resets the machine and snarls things. My personal process is to save the current settings using BackupRestoreSettings.cmd (stashing the old SettingsBackup folder and Settings.reg file beforehand) then running Uninstaller.cmd, letting the machine reset and install the new cursed version of Windows then once you have a desktop again running the DLL copier and regsvr32.exe business in the later installers (I use my own custom job with 8.8.1) then installing WMC again, then using the BackupRestoreSettings.cmd to get your settings and programs back. Thought I was good for a year or so last June or July when my machines wanted to update from 1709 to 1803 but was rudely shocked by them wanting to install 1809 this week, grr. Almost no point taking notes on the WMC install process when you have do it a couple of times a year regardless of Enterprise's ability to block feature updates for a year...

EDIT: Actually occurred to me that it will be interesting to see what happens with the current 1909 update as MS is making sounds like the feature update from 1903 to 1909 will be applied like a security update and if so you'd think that the code that nukes WMC when doing a feature update currently wouldn't be active. Guess I should test that on the sacrificial laptop.

10. LotusG33k

LotusG33k MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2015
    Thanks for the tip. 8.8.4 may need the Windows 8.1 DLL in ehome. I'll give that a try when I get back from vacation.

11. win7fans

win7fans MDL Novice

May 1, 2016
    Well, I am running 1909. WMC is installed and plays wmc files on my network. Ceton Infinity usb is installed, and can tune channels from my cable company. Unfortunately, WMC will not discover the tuners. I have used technodevotee's files to install WMC. When I use the WMC-multi-tool, and press 9 for reset playready, it says file cannot be found. I have a Win 7 WMC machine and a Win 10 1511 10586 WMC machine, both working fine. I hide the feature updates for the 1511 machine and am not able to get the cumulative updates to install. Do have some updates like 2019 update and 2019 windows defender update installed. Am trying to push the 1511 build as far as possible. Would like to see if the 2017 and 2018 cumulative updates break WMC.

That said, I would like my laptop to be able to use my ceton usb tuners. I, of course, have tried many of the suggestions listed, but wonder if there is something I have missed.

Sure would appreciate any help.

12. win7fans

win7fans MDL Novice

May 1, 2016
    I should make it clear that my 1909 install is on my laptop. That is where wmc cannot find tuners. I only added the other stuff, to keep people from telling me about those possibilities. I want 1909 to work.

13. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9753 technodevotee, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    I assume that you have tried other versions of WMC (8.8.1, 8.8.2, 8.8.3, 8.8.4) on your laptop?

There are a number of other people here and on TGB having issues with Ceton and HDHR tuners on 1909 and it seems that most of them were working on previous versions so I assume that Microsoft removed or changed something in Windows (again) that prevents WMC seeing them.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about either of these products so I can't really help but there have been a number of suggestions made: checking firewall settings (maybe specific ports need to be opened for WMC services to let them see the tuners), running WMC as administrator, running WMC services as a specific user, installing support for older versions of .Net and using the old version of PlayReady.

WRT resetting Playready - the function only works if there is an MSPR.HDS file to rename, which there won't be if PlayReady hasn't done any work.

14. win7fans

win7fans MDL Novice

May 1, 2016
    Thanks so much for answering my question. Actually, you were the one person I hoped would answer. Progress: I think I have just about tried everything, all to no avail.

So, I spent the day looking for more solutions. I stumbled onto KODI and found they have a wmc client add on that with win server added to my 1511 machine allows me to watch Live TV on my Laptop (client). As I watched live tv on 1511, I was watching the same show on my laptop with about a 500 millisecond delay. The delay may go away, or persist, I don't know nor care. I certainly won't notice a millisecond delay while watching my laptop on the balcony, smoking my cigar. The point is it was LIVE TV, with no extra boxes or wires.

I can see all of my channels, and from my laptop, program WMC to record a show simply by looking at the guide on my laptop and clicking record on the upcoming program. Afterwards, the show is even marked record in WMC on my main machine (1511).

I just got everything working, so I am not up on all the settings, but I am VERY HAPPY. This is exactly the same as being in front of my regular TV, although many, many, many times smaller. I have 8 tuners on 1511(two ceton cards), so there is plenty of room to watch live TV, while wmc is recording other channels. Actually, this is better than I had hoped for.

That said, knowing there are helpful people out there like you is what made me persist in seeking a solution to my problem.

Thanks again.

15. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    I've never seen one in action but it seems like you've got yourself an extender.

16. win7fans

win7fans MDL Novice

May 1, 2016
    Yes, an extender with no cables. Now, if I could just get wmc to recognize my ceton cards on 1909, I could update my win10 1511 machine. Once again, thanks for sharing your time with the rest of us - hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

17. mmortal03

mmortal03 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2017
    Yep, this is what I do. It's a great option to still be able to get the guide information without having to pay for a subscription. The developer of ServerWMC hasn't been as active with new updates as of late, so you might notice quirks or minor bugs, but it can still get the job done in many cases.

18. win7fans

win7fans MDL Novice

May 1, 2016
    #9758 win7fans, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    A little off topic, but I always wondered what happened to the guy who convinced Coca-Cola to get rid of Coke and give everyone New Coke. Apparently, after being fired from Coca-Cola, he (I doubt a "she" would be that stupid) got a job at Microsoft. Soon after, he must have decided to get rid of Windows Media Center, which works just fine, and give everyone Windows DVD Player.

19. win7fans

win7fans MDL Novice

May 1, 2016
    I guess I am throwing in the towel. I want to use my win7 machine as the wmc server, update my 1511 machine to 1909 and use it as client.

My question is how do I isolate my win7 machine from the Internet and still use it as a server for my local network (is that even possible). Can i use a USB 3.0 bridging cable to connect the computers and keep the win7 machine isolated from the Internet? I am worried about an unsupported OS not getting security updates. So, I just want to freeze it in time, keep it isolated, and be able to install epg123 when I need to (maybe download it on Win 10, and transfer the files to Win7 machine). Does anyone think this is doable?

20. jackmonter5

jackmonter5 MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Perhaps you should download LTSB 2015 version, as this version still has security updates until 2025. (Not sure if it is missing any windows features needed by this pack, to work)