[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. THUMPer1

THUMPer1 MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I'm getting a message about downloading episode guides now all of a sudden. i'm not sure it's actually updating anyway. I did a quick search and saw EPG123 is an option. Has anyone used that? Or any insight on the episode guide issue?

2. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    I've been using EPG123 for a little over two years and have found it to be head and shoulders above the other things I tried - XML download and conversions, EPG Collector etc.

3. ReallyOldGuy

ReallyOldGuy MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2016
    RDP works on both machines quite well, except for being able to run WMC.

4. THUMPer1

THUMPer1 MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I need to sign up with Schedules direct though right? The reason for WMC and my OTA setup is I don't have to pay for anything other than electricity.

5. ReallyOldGuy

ReallyOldGuy MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2016
    Yes, the schedule costs, no way around that, but USD$25.00 for a year is not a bad price.

6. ReallyOldGuy

ReallyOldGuy MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2016
    I tried something else just to see if it would work. I RDP from Machine 1 into Machine 2 (the one where WMC has Video File errors). Then from Machine 2 I RDP into a Win 10 VM running 8.8.4 WMC, and bizarrely, I can watch and hear the files playing on the VM. Unfortunately, I need Machine 2 to work, as I need WMC to write some metadata into WTV files after they are edited, and the files are local to Machine 2. I do not think that WMC will write metadata into network files, at least that has been my experience.

7. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    @ReallyOldGuy - I'm really sorry but I'm afraid I can't help because I've never encountered the problem you are having.

I've searched the web (as I'm sure you have) and came up with nothing helpful. The only thing I can think of is to try posting on The Green Button as there are some really knowledgeable people on there.

Hopefully someone has some ideas.

8. ReallyOldGuy

ReallyOldGuy MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2016
    No problem, and thanks for all your input and work. I am beginning to think that the windows install on that machine is messed up. I think I will put off trying to fix things until I do the next features update (would have to probably reinstall WMC then anyway.)

9. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2016
    Happy New Year all!

So as of January 1st is WMC for Windows 10 dead? I mean at least for the Guide Listings?

I noticed the Guide Listings were not updating anymore so after some research I see as of 1/1/2020 the service is gone. :( I have , what I think of, as a simple setup. I just have an OTA setup: Antenna to my PC with its Hauppauge tuner using WMC on Windows 10 (latest version). So my question is there another app that will work inside WMC to provide the listings/rPVR or must I now start using a new app altogether? Currently installing NextPVR to test it out.

10. wmc10user

wmc10user MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2020
    #9790 wmc10user, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Just went through this. Wasn't expecting today. Thought I might have until the 14th when the Windows 7 end of life hit, but I guess their agreement with Rovi was different. So EPG123 (free) and a Schedules Direct subscription ($25 USD per year) is the lowest cost option. It's quite good, and I really like that I don't have to mess with the MyChannelLogos application anymore because EPG123 pulls those in for you. It's also very nice that Schedules Direct gives you a free 7 day trial to make sure it's right for you. Just set it up today, but I cannot see why I wouldn't buy at this point.

EPG123 must reset the WMC database and go through the setup again. The app has to delete your recording schedules, but there's a tool provided to back them up first, so after the setup is done, you can restore your scheduled recordings. Follow their video guide. I found being so familiar with WMC, I just had to watch the video once and then there was no problem setting it up. One thing that is necessary since we're running WMC on Windows 10 is that you have to go into the properties of the EPG123 server and client, and set them to run as Administrator. If you don't do this, you won't be able to set the scheduled update option in their app. It will instead show ERROR: Access Denied. But once you set the apps to run as Administrator, the scheduled update function works just fine.

Best of luck and thanks for your post. It helped confirm what I was seeing. Much appreciated. Happy New Year!

11. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2016
    Thx wmc10user,

I did install epg123and signed up for SchedulesDirect and yes I must agree this is the way to go as after 9 some years of WMC its hard to change. Was having issues seeing the Guide but reread your post, went through client and server set up and that must have been the issue as now I see everything now as expected... actually better than expected. I like the customization features epg123 adds. Worth the $25 per year. Thx!

12. Draculabus

Draculabus MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2018
    I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the correct direction. I've been trying to get a functional win10 MCE build with a Ceton tuner but I've been running into issues. I started with the V13 build posted on TGB. I was able to get that installed and mostly functional, but I could never get DRM to work or multi-channel passthrough with MP4 or MKV. I worked with Shark on this for a couple days and we could not figure out why passthrough would not work, so I wanted to test 8.8.4 to see if that might solve the DRM and passthrough issues, however I can't seem to get the Ceton tuner to be recognized by 8.8.4.

I'm working with a fresh install of Win10 Pro build 10586 (in the hopes of eventually getting extenders functional). After the OS is up, I install stopupdates10, the latest Nvidia package, and hardware drivers and reboot. Then I install the Ceton package and reboot. The Ceton diag program shows it is installed correctly after reboot. I then install 8.8.4 (no errors) and reboot. I've not installed anything else on the machine at this point (no Shark, Powerdvd, etc.). No matter what I do, 8.8.4 says no tuners are installed during live TV setup. I've tried a clean install four times with the same result. Does anyone have any ideas on what I may be missing in the process I'm following?

13. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9793 technodevotee, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    @Draculabus

As I'm sure you know, WMC V8.x has been successively modified to deal with issues that started to appear in Windows 10 AFTER the version you are using.

Although V13 is based on V12, I have never tested it on anything before 1709 because that was when all the problems started and I assumed that people with CableCards would have to stay on Windows 7 or 8 or Windows 10 V1511 because of the changes made to DRM. The installer I created might break the operation of Ceton and SiliconDust tuners but since I don't have either of those I have no way of knowing.

Maybe the modifications are causing the issues you are having so I wondered if you have tried installing an older version of WMC (V12 for example) and/or older Ceton drivers/software.

14. Draculabus

Draculabus MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2018
    Thanks. Let me know what build you think would be a reasonable one to try and I'll test it today.

15. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Well as far as I know, 1511 is the last version of Windows 10 that worked with cablecards so I would try WMC V12 on V1511 but if you are asking about Ceton drivers, I'm afraid I can't help there because I don't know anything about them.

I'm just going on the fact that someone on TGB was struggling to get a SiliconDust tuner to work with the latest driver and someone else recommended using a version from 2015 because it was compatible with Windows 10 v1511.

Best of luck!

16. Draculabus

Draculabus MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2018
    Ok. I'll try v12. Thanks for your help.

17. Rarb

Rarb MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2019
    Just to add to the previous praise for EPG123 and Schedules Direct ... last week I hit the (now prevalent) problem of no more schedules in WMC with (presumably) the Microsoft/Rovi service being discontinued. Took a look here, saw the EPG123 references, and installed the software last night and created a Schedules Direct account (7 days free, to try it out, then $25/year). I'm really impressed with:
    1. The EPG123 install - there are quite a few moving parts, but the installation routine and online guide led me through it relatively pain-free.
    2. The Schedules Direct content - definitely richer than anything I'd previously seen (if it matters I'm in Texas USA, with an OTA feed).
    3. The EPG123 "Tweak WMC" configuration options - these are terrific! I had so much wanted a more compact (smaller font) guide format for many years, the default WMC format was huge and clunky, needed lots of scrolling, and was like working on a 640*480 screen from 30 years ago. Now I have 12+ rows of content, covering the next 3 hours, which is far more manageable, and makes much more sense on a 1080 (or in this case a 4K) screen.

From what I've seen so far this is definitely worth the $25 for the SD feed.
    Many thanks to GaRyan2 for putting this together.

18. Draculabus

Draculabus MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2018
    Just following up. V12 installed, ceton tuners were recognized, DRM is working, but mkv/mp4 multichannel passthrough is not working (stereo only). Shark codec pack does not solve the issue, but you can see LAV is running multichannel, but the Denon AVR is only getting PCM stereo. Has anyone gotten multichannel passthrough with mkv or mp4 working?

19. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    I'm glad you made progress.

Would I be right in thinking that you don't need playready with that setup?

I used 1511 when it was current but because we don't need to worry about DRM in the UK I didn't notice what the mechanism was then.

I'd be interested in finding out the differences between the installers that might be causing the issues you were having.

20. plplplpl

plplplpl MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2020
    EPG is back!

But are we just living on borrowed time?