[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Draculabus

Draculabus MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2018
    Play ready was required for US DRM. Since you guys have done so much work on this stuff, I'd be happy to do any testing you need for this use case.

The next thing I really want to sort out is the MP4/MKV issue with not passing multi-channel. I spent a few days working with Shark on this and we ran out of ideas. The only thing I can think is that new Win10 audio service is the culprit. It really surprises me that others haven't run into this issue....

2. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Do you know what version of playready you have now it is working?

Is it the updated version of playready that breaks cablecards?

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the MP4/MKV passthrough issue you are having but then I don't use cable. I have Satellite and Surround Sound works on that.

3. Draculabus

Draculabus MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2018
    What's the best way to determine which Play Ready version is installed? (I've done so many installs at this point, I'm not positive if I did a manual install on this build, or if the MCE installer worked this time and it loaded that way....

The MP4/MKV issue is DVD/BR/UHD movie rips. Pass through works fine on the Win7 box with Shark's codecs.

4. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    If you click on the entry for playready runtime in apps & features it should show the installed version.

Oh, I understand now. I don't have the MP4/MKV issue because I use DVD Fab Player for Blu-Ray, DVD and other video.

5. Draculabus

Draculabus MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2018
    Looks like PlayReady 1.3.0 is installed.

6. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    OK. So it is something else. I assume you had to run the DCA before it would work?

7. Draculabus

Draculabus MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2018
    Correct. I ran DCA.

Now I'm running into other issues. The machine effectively hangs on MCE daily when not in use (I keep it on 24/7). When I come back to the machine and attempt to use it, it's sick on MCE. Alt+tab brings up a functional mouse, but that's it. Ctrl+alt+del gives you a black screen with functional mouse. Blind arrowing to get task manager does not work. Forcing sleep and bringing in back gives the kernel security check crash. The kernel security check issue has happened on every build I've tried, and I've not found a solution to it yet.

8. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    I've had the black screen as well and had to disable fast start up and edit the unattended sleep timeout setting.

I've never had the kernel security check though. I wonder if it could be related to the system files modified error that people report (which I've never seen either) that can be worked round by the bcdedit trick
    Code:
    bcdedit /set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    and
    Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
    ?

9. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    #9809 Bigal, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    I was trying to fix a non WMC problem and had to run
    msiexec /unreg
    msiexec /regserver
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    sfc /scannow
    I thought this would mess up WMC so i tried technodevotee's wmc_multi_tool from his link, so i know it is the latest version.
    I have tried option 1 2 3 4 7 so far but WMC opens, i can see my recordings with thumbnails but it still doesnt play recorded tv or live tv, it just closes, they play fine in media player though.
    I really don't want to reinstall WMC
    do i do all of the options or do i need to reinstall?

10. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    #9810 Bigal, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    never mind, sorted, got to number 5 and its working again, thought id leave the post here in case anyone else does
    sfc /scannow

11. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Can you show the list of current dll versions from option 0?

12. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    what do you do when you use my utility? do you just try things at random or do you read the known issues text file and carry out the recommended actions?

13. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    i read the instructions, which is why i tried the files in ehome first then windows ect ect
    i just didnt know how much the
    sfc /scannow
    would mess up

14. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    But your circumstances may be different to other people because
    you are using 8.8.3 which uses the Windows version of CPFilters.

You described the symptoms as crashing when playing or watching TV which we know is caused by CPFilters being replaced so all you needed to do was to roll back the CPFilters in Windows\ehome with option 5,

15. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    ok
    I had to highlight your text to be able to read your last post....

16. Draculabus

Draculabus MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2018
    Ok, I've continued testing. I've disabled fast start. Still get the black screen. I never put the machine to sleep, it's on 24/7 so I didn't think the unattended sleep setting would matter, but I'll test that now since the fast start up change did not fix the black screen issue. I've done the bcdedit mods. I've not had a reoccurrence of the security check yet.

17. propwash

propwash MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2008
    #9817 propwash, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    I've just got a new PC as a WMC machine and am pleased to say it's working with Win 10 Pro (in the UK). I'd gone back to Win 8 on my previous machine.

I needed to run the Thumbnails and DLL patches because (oddly) trying to watch something resulted in "All tuners currently in use". The fixes fixed it!

Thanks to technodevotee and anyone else involved.

18. ciccio18

ciccio18 MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2018
    Really glad to see MCE is up and running on W10

I had multiple machines with projectors set up like the elonex artisan and the siemens machine

Ive go the TV working with an old Hauppauge nova-t pci card and all works. just a couple of glitches

1. 1 TV setup data download says error

2. The edit guide shows channels I cannot see in the main guide (i.e news on skyplayer, etc)

3. When I launch my music library, it shows the covers for a few secs then shuts down WMC

May seen trivial, but would like to have music work

Also what’s the best tuner card to use

19. MAVAV

MAVAV MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2017
    Try in media centre going to settings, general, automatic download options, and unselect Retrieve CD album art, media information etc.

20. mark frankland

mark frankland MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2019
    #9820 mark frankland, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Hi everyone, i have been putting off upgrading to windows 10 for years now because of the lack of media center.With support for windows 7 now ended i am going to make the change to windows 10 pro 1909. Just wondering which version i should install as i've seen 8.1, 8.2, 8.4, 13 etc. Tried reading through all the threads but it gets quite confusing. Could someone also confirm if DVBLink works with media center on Windows 10, Thanks in advance for any help.