[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Your best bet is to install EPG123. It is a free program but it requires a small subscription fee to the data provider if you want to continue using it.

2. travhavlicek

travhavlicek MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2008
    After the newest Windows 10 update I was getting the "All tuners in use" message with v8.8.1. Up until it stopped working I was still getting guide updates without using a 3rd party guide. I was able to eventually get it working with a little trial an error.

1) I first tried uninstalling v8 and then installed v13. I was able to fix the "All tuners in use" message by running replace_dlls.cmd included with V13. Unfortunately I was no longer getting guide updates.
    2) I then uninstalled v13, installed v8.8.1 and ran the replace_dlls.cmd included with v13. This fixed the "All tuners in use" message I was getting previously and the guide updated successfully!

3. plplplpl

plplplpl MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2020
    Guide now updated to early April. :)

4. mmortal03

mmortal03 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2017
    Guide update still works for some people who already had it, but each update hasn't been on time lately, which has caused gaps. It's probably best to look at the alternatives mentioned in this thread if you want reliable, up to date listings.

5. patrikp

patrikp MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2016
    Hi,

I can't find how to attach a file to a post in this forum? Is that not possible?

Patrik

6. mwpeterson

mwpeterson MDL Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I believe there is a minimum post count before you can upload a file. I think its 20 posts.

7. patrikp

patrikp MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2016
    Hi @Kévin Chalet ,

I have done some work to prepare WMC for the upcoming 20H1.

I copied the files sqlcecompact40.dll, sqlceoledb40.dll, sqlceqp40.dll and sqlcese40.dll to C:\Windows\ehome. Then I created the file Microsoft.Windows.SQLCE.manifest with this content:
    Code:
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
      <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Windows.SQLCE" version="1.0.0.0" />

<file name="sqlcecompact40.dll">
        <comClass clsid="{1FFDED41-8FC9-497D-BD70-B2E440736273}" description="Microsoft.WINDOWS.SQLLITE.Engine.4.0" progid="Microsoft.WINDOWS.SQLLITE.Engine.4.0" threadingModel="Both" />
        <comClass clsid="{56F62E3E-8904-43F6-B841-DAC177F7FEB9}" description="Microsoft.WINDOWS.SQLLITE.Params.4.0" progid="Microsoft.WINDOWS.SQLLITE.Params.4.0" threadingModel="Both" />
        <comClass clsid="{94510291-3DB7-4F61-B62B-A5790CE92645}" description="Microsoft.WINDOWS.SQLLITE.Errors.4.0" progid="Microsoft.WINDOWS.SQLLITE.Errors.4.0" threadingModel="Both" />
        <comClass clsid="{E7F328B1-6095-41B0-94B7-3DD278EADAA1}" description="Microsoft.WINDOWS.SQLLITE.Param.4.0"  progid="Microsoft.WINDOWS.SQLLITE.Param.4.0"  threadingModel="Both" />
        <comClass clsid="{EFDB73A6-192F-4944-979E-4153CC8E8715}" description="Microsoft.WINDOWS.SQLLITE.Error.4.0"  progid="Microsoft.WINDOWS.SQLLITE.Error.4.0"  threadingModel="Both" />
      </file>
      <file name="sqlceoledb40.dll">
        <comClass clsid="{3A5B4772-7946-4E58-9310-B0D423749C1D}" description="Microsoft.WINDOWS.SQLLITE.OLEDB.4.0" progid="Microsoft.WINDOWS.SQLLITE.OLEDB.4.0" threadingModel="Both" />
      </file>
      <file name="sqlceqp40.dll"/>
      <file name="sqlcese40.dll"/>
    </assembly>
    Finally, I put the following snippet into each of the exe.manifest files:
    Code:
      <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Windows.SQLCE" version="1.0.0.0" />
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>

I deleted the sqlce*.dll files from C:\Windows\System32, and WMC still seems to work. I have not done any extensive tests, but so far I haven't found anything that does not work.

Patrik

8. @it

@it MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2010
    Quick question, I was running LTSB with WMC and all was ok, although felt HTPC needed a clean so I upgraded to LTSC (inc updates) with the latest version of WMC (thanks to all involved with the development of the application and integration). However now at times when I change channels there is no picture and on 2 occasions I got the BSOD and the system restarted, now do I revert to LTSB or is there anything I can do to minimise crashing and no picture on channel switching, and or is there any benefit going from LTSB to LTSC on a HTPC based system.

Hardware of system :
    Gigabyte Z99 WiFi (M-ITX)
    i5 4690
    8GB
    HDHomeRun Quattro Tuner (network)
    GTX1060 3GB
    250GB SSD
    6TB HDD

PS : apologies in advance should this question be asked and answered and many thanks too for any info and help.

@IT

9. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    @IT, it would be helpful to know the actual version of WMC you have installed.

10. @it

@it MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2010
    Damn knew I missed something :
    WMC V13 64bit

Thank you for replying

@IT

11. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9871 technodevotee, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    I assume you read the known issues.txt file and used the scripts to apply the required workarounds?

V13 isn't really the latest version because it is based on V12 files which haven't been altered since 2015. I just changed the installer, added workarounds to allow it to be used on newer versions of Windows and made it available as a stop gap while more permanent fixes to problems were applied.

V8.8.4 has had a lot more development of the files and incorporates most of the things that are needed out of the box without affecting Windows system files so that it continues to run after ugdates. It is the recommended version to use really although I believe that there is a newer version in the pipeline.

There are difference between the versions and some people find that one version works well while others find that another works best for them.

12. @it

@it MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2010
    Hi again @technodevotee and really appreciate the replies, I thought v13 was the latest version and did all the script installs. So may I ask, would it be a simple as uninstalling v13 and installing v8.8.4 or for a truly bug and glitch free method is doing a complete reinstall of LTSC (probably my OCD would choose the latter method).

Many thanks again.

@IT

13. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9873 technodevotee, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    I haven't experience the issues you described using either V13 or 8.8.4 on any of the PCs I have (and I have quite a few - running different versions of Windows and different versions of WMC).

I've only seen a few issues that were vaguely similar to what you describe reported and even then only a few people ever report back as to what resolved it.

If you are running the same version of WMC and it was fine before the upgrade then I would suspect the upgrade but who knows?

You could try removing V13 and installing V8.8.4 before doing anything more drastic.

Just make sure that you use the uninstaller for the version you are uninstalling.

14. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    The WMC numbering is rather confusing isn't it.

I probably didn't help the situation by naming mine V13 but it seemed logical at the time.

What can I tell you?

15. @it

@it MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2010
    @technodevotee I guess the confusing part like possibly many more is I didn’t read or chose to skip/miss or ignored that little formality.

I appreciate your work and findings.

I uninstalled v13 using the uninstalled and installed v8.8.4 everything seemed to work better on LTSC, however the OCD part of me took over and have just reinstalled a fresh install of the said LTSC, now to set all up take the updates, shouldn’t take to long and we’ll go from there, I’ll advise either way if you wish.

Take it easy and stay safe wherever you may be.

@IT

16. @it

@it MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2010
    @technodevotee system flattened and rebuilt, so far all seems ok, all updates taken and will keep a close eye on the HTPC over the next day or so.

Again many thanks for your replies, help and info.

@IT

17. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    You obviously don't use satellite!

A reinstall usually takes me two days to get back to how it was because the setup data is so out of date that 90% of the 4400+ channels listed don't work so I have to scan three satellites then sort through, rename and assign EPG listings to the ones that actually work.

No wonder that I'm paranoid about backups.

18. Badcatalex

Badcatalex MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2017
    so uh anyone had any luck with getting the Xbox 360 to work as an extender with Windows Media center on Windows 8.1 with a hacked WMC installer from one of these links here? I'm running W8.1, used that installer because I didn't get my Media Center pack when I could, and I need, NEED to use it with my 360.

19. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
  20. Badcatalex

Badcatalex MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2017
    #9880 Badcatalex, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    (I can't reply, dammit forum rules)
    Well how would I set it up, for 8.1 of course.
    Plus, what version of the WMC installer should I use? The ones I could find, with that wrapper, just give an error when trying to add the extender.