[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    resetsettings.cmd is in every version of 8.8.x.

2. cleggy

cleggy MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2009
  3. xavigon

xavigon MDL Novice

May 5, 2019
    In Apr 12, 2019 StefanR wrote:

"Rather than copying or moving the ehome directory, this is what I did to get full screen working (I am using the 8.8.1 install):
    Go to c:\windows\ehome and copy ehshell.exe to myehshell.exe
    Right click on myehshell.exe and select 'properties'
    On the compatibility tab, check the 'disable full screen optimization' box
    Use myehshell.exe to launch Media Center

For some reason, Windows seems to ignore the 'disable full screen optimization' on the original file, but will apply it on the copy."

Any solution to fix this problem about "disable full screen optimization" on the original file that windows seems to ignore please???
    I've wasted many hours trying to fix it but as StafanR said, it just works in a copy of the original "ehshell.exe" file.
    I'm using WMC V13 64bit version in a Windows 10 Home 1909.
    Thank you very much!

4. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    What do you mean when you say 'Windows seems to ignore'?

It is very odd because I'm running V13 and I haven't had this problem since I upgraded to 1909 and WMC is working fine.

The options are accessible but I haven't needed to change them.

5. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Im using WMC8.8.3
    win 10 64, 1909 18363.836
    I just tried right clicking on some .wtv recording and choose Convert to .drv-ms Format and got "WTV Converter cannot convert the file from .wtv to .dvr-ms format because the content is not compatible with the .dvr-ms format."
    The .wtv files are NOT HD, i've also tried radio recordings.
    I am in the U.K using freeview only.
    I have searched this thread and read them.

Any suggestions
    Thanks
    Alan[/QUOTE]

6. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    @Bigal

This stopped working a while back on Windows 10 and I don't think anyone got to the bottom of it. It is exactly the same for me.

7. xavigon

xavigon MDL Novice

May 5, 2019
    You're right! No problem in fullscreen mode when i use just ONE DISPLAY.
    But....:
    The problem appears when I'm using TWO DISPLAYS in "DUPLICATE" mode.

Let me explain you:
    I have two files:
    windows\ehome\ehshell.exe (originial)
    windows\ehome\myehshell.exe (copy from original)
    Both files with "Disable fullscreen optimizations" flag activated.

When i execute original file (ehshell.exe), video image quality is poor, i mean, it's good but with micro freezes every 12 seconds.
    In other hand, when i execute copied file (myehshell.exe), quality is perfect.

So i guess something it's wrong about Disable fullscreen optimizations in the original file.
    Notes:
    My PC use Internal Intel HD 630 Graphics.
    I'd like to fix this issue because when i start WMC by remote control always execute original file.

Any idea about this odd problem.

Thanks for your Job! :)

8. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    @technodevotee
    Yeah i read that :(, i was hoping that someone might have a fix but not posted it up

9. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9929 technodevotee, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    I don't use multiple monitors so I can't really help with that I'm afraid.

I understand that there can be issues with them and there's a user here who does who seems pretty hot on that subject but I can't think of their name. I think they use Actual Multiple Monitors to tweak the settings.

edit: it was @Aly I was thinking of and they use Actual Window Manager

As an aside, I use Intel's onboard graphics 630 on one of my PCs and it was a nightmare - just wouldn't work full screen until they released an updated driver. Was it the same for you?

10. robbiejuk33

robbiejuk33 MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2015
    So i have just installed WMC V13 and it fails to open, looking at Task Manager it just closes on launch. No idea what the issue is.

11. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9931 technodevotee, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    from 'known issues.txt': "In builds after 18958 WMC doesn't start and errors in the event viewer reference a problem with EHShell.exe and KernelBase.dll. This is due to Microsoft removing the DLLs and registry entry for MS SQLLite. You can use run fix_MSSQLLite.cmd to fix that."

I have seen this problem reported in earlier builds as well. It also applies to WMC 8.8.X

12. xavigon

xavigon MDL Novice

May 5, 2019
    Last updates from INTEL works better but not so good as i'd like ;-)

But, i can't understand why 2 IDENTICAL files (ehshell.exe & myehshell.exe) starts WMC with different behavior if both files have "Disable fullscreen optimizations" flag enabled.
    It mad me crazy ;-)

13. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    IDK, it isn't something I've ever needed to try myself.

14. robbiejuk33

robbiejuk33 MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2015
    I missed that completely. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, it's now working!

15. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    I recently received an email from someone who was experiencing the same issues, but on Windows 10 1909. Surprisingly, the SQLite DLLs were missing. Maybe Microsoft started backporting some of the 20H1 changes to older versions?

16. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9936 technodevotee, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Yeah, I've had a number of people say the same thing so I have updated the known issues file to reflect that in V13 and WMC Multi Tool.

17. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    As some of you know I use v8.8.3 in win10 x64 1909 build 18636.836, with a working music library, even after a reinstall of 8.8.3, without having automatic download options turned off.

I bought a larger SSD a while ago and was going through the process of installing windows but put it off until 20H1 comes out.
    I tested 8.8.4 on the new install with a backup from my 8.8.3 and the music library failed.
    I just installed 8.8.4 on my current system and the music library works.

Is anyone interested in me investigating this further, by making the changes from my current install to the new install one by one?

Is there any point, or should I just turn off automatic updates, seeing as the movie guide says movie data not available as it is unable to download guide data, or would it work for users that aren’t using ota guide data, which I am?

Alan

18. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    That is really interesting.

When you say a backup, I presume you mean a backup of the WMC data but I thought you had had to do a reinstall/reconfigure recently?

What do you reckon is different between the two systems then?

19. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    A backup from using BackupRestoreSettings.cmd.
    I did, when i made the backup, it was from a clean reinstall of 8.8.3.
    i have an idea but i cant test it, as i cant find the file i installed.
    I use ccleaner on both installs/systems and output the list of installed programs to a file and compared each file and have a list of the differences.
    1 that stood out was "Windows Media Player 64-bit Plug-in Fix" I have searched the registry but cant find the name of the install file or the directory it installed to and tried a google search.
    My current system has seen a lot of evolution and along the way i have forgotten to note down what i have done.

Is it worth me investigating?

20. zhanglin

zhanglin MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2018
    Is there any success in installing WMC on windows 10 2004?